Reading Pace

Nellie

Before I decided to pack in the nomadic existance to be with my OH, I was reading all the time. It was not uncommon for me to be able to finish 3 books in a week. With the change in living situation came more work responsibilty & now I am only able to read at the weekend, so I am lucky ifI finish a book in a month - unless it's a great book that's captured me, then I usually will finish it the same weekend.

... I dont read as quickly in english as in french (though that could change soon as I seem to be reading mostly in english these days) and definitely slower in spanish when I get a book in that language.

:lol:

Well done, I struggle with English..:D

For me the main factor is how good the book is. I'm more likely to skim over a dull section or re-read a good bit. I find a big difference between looking and reading :17:

Usually I read about one book a week, again depending on the book and my time. I do often binge read too, especially if I find a new author or series of books I like, then I would go through a book every couple of days. I recently lost my mojo though and between one thing or another have only been reading one a month on average. It doesnt mean I dont think of myself as a reader though, even if I only read 2 or 3 books a year, as long as I enjoyed them I would say I was a reader. :D

The idea of a set reading pace presupposes all books are uniform, but there are many variables. The complexity of the plot, the difficulty of the prose, the reader's interest. A previous poster said it takes them 3-4 days to read 450-600 pages. That seems about right for a book like The Da Vinci Code; but if the book is Ulysses, she has surely missed the many rewards of a careful reading of that text.

However, make allowances for the above, and I try to average 50 pages a day.

A previous poster said it takes them 3-4 days to read 450-600 pages. That seems about right for a book like The Da Vinci Code; but if the book is Ulysses, she has surely missed the many rewards of a careful reading of that text.

Yeah.

See, now read what I said again:

'Personally, when I find a book I like, given the time, it takes 3-4 days to read. (Around 450-600 pages.) That would be my standard pace, but when I find a book is carefully written I slow down a bit to take in the structuring like Anonymous Poster said, in order to 'savour' the content.'

Given that something like Ulysses is implicitly carefully written, I said exactly what you did, if you had bothered to read it/pay attention. :D

I try to read a book a week. This depends on the size of the book (average 350 pages), the written style, the content and, of course, how busy I am during that reading period.

I am frustrated as I have a book that I want to finish at the moment (my rule is that I always try to finish a book even if I'm not that enamoured of it) and I can't seem to plough through it quickly. It's an enjoyable enough book (Victorian crime thriller) but it's a bit bogged down with too much detail (and politics:irked:) but I daren't skim through pages in case I miss something relevant.

As I said in a previous thread, the words do mean a lot to me and if it is a well written book, I do like to savour them.

Given that something like Ulysses is implicitly carefully written, I said exactly what you did, if you had bothered to read it/pay attention. :D

Oh the irony!

To be honest, though, I wasn't trying to single you out as a careless reader. I just used your numbers out of laziness to make a point.

Anyone who knocks off Ulysses in 3-4 days is missing something, so the whole question of reading pace depends on the book.

I vary. It depends how I'm feeling (if I'm feeling off colour with a headache for example I tend to read a little less), how my children are (if one or both is poorly then I definitely read less!) if I've got a lot on that day/week etc etc.

It also depends on the book - some books I can read without having to put a lot of thought or 'work' into (the Simon Kernick book I've just finished - Severed - being a case in point. Good book but don't need to think too much about it) whereas others need a lot of thought and concentration and I need more focus to take all the information and details in as I'm reading so I read slower and sometimes go back over bits to remind myself.

So for me there really isn't a simple answer - personally I don't think either a fast, slow or average reader makes for a better reader, if there even is such a thing. To me, it's not a competition, just something to savour and enjoy and how long that takes you is irrelevant.

Edited by BrainFreeze

It varies for me as well, depending on the book and genre, but also on how much time I have and what else is going on in my life. At the moment, because I have quite a lot going on and I am trying to avoid distractions, I am not reading much at all.

It takes longer to read non-fiction, as the subject matter takes longer to digest, especially with weightier books on history and religion, but with fiction I can get through a book in a couple of days. When I go to Lundy I usually take around 2 books for each week I am there.

The only books that I try to read as fast as possible are usually books that are part of a series.

After I'd read a couple of Harry Potters, I was literally scrambling to open up the next one and find out what was going to happen! :D

I usually spend my time on books, especially ones that are beautifully written and that really enthrall me. I spent like 2 months reading the Lord of the Rings, one factor being it's huge, the other being it's brilliant.

The only books that I try to read as fast as possible are usually books that are part of a series.

After I'd read a couple of Harry Potters, I was literally scrambling to open up the next one and find out what was going to happen! :P

;) Yep, literally exactly the same with me!

To me reading is not a competition. If you read, surely you read, ergo are a reader? I read what I want when I can find the time. Some books I whizz through others move me so much that I chew and savour every word, greedily re-reading passages and pages. Then there's books I read where I spend time looking up words, countries, cross referencing . . I can be with these ones for weeks idyllically happy with each page caring not about the time spent nor the pace at which I'm reading them.