Charm

• Replies 452
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

Frostbitten ~by~ Kelley Armstrong

Synopsis Courtesy of Waterstone's:

The Alaskan wilderness is a harsh landscape in the best of conditions, but with a pack of rogue werewolves on the loose, it's downright deadly. Elena Michaels, the American Werewolf Pack's chief enforcer, knows all too well the havoc "mutts" can wreak. When the Pack learns of a series of gruesome maulings and murders outside of Anchorage, Elena and her partner Clay travel to Alaska in the dead of winter, expecting to hunt down a pack of dangerous werewolves. But, trapped in a savage, frozen realm, it is their own untamed nature - and their werewolf heritage - they have to confront ...

My thoughts:

Frostbitten is the latest installment in the Women of the Otherworld series by Kelley Armstrong and I'm pleased to say it doesn't disappoint. This story takes us to the Alaskan wilderness where Elena and Clay have to confront a very dangerous band of renegade werewolves who have no interest in pack law, while encountering some surprising allies along the way. As well as their battles together, they confront the changes which are looming in their future together.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book. I really like the characters of Elena and Clay and seeing how their relationship as partners and parents is developing. Kelly Armstrong always manages to inject the right amount of action and thrills, along with just the correct dose of relationship loves and struggles.

It was a very comfortable read, another gripping story which really entertained. Looking forward to the next one!

9/10

Men Of The Otherworld ~by~ Kelley Armstrong

I don't remember the first time I changed into a wolf. One night I passed out, and awoke to find my body covered in yellow fur. My brain was beyond reacting. It took this in its stride, as it had everything else in my new life. I got to my feet and went in search of food. As a curious and independent six-year-old, Clayton didn't resist the bite ? he asked for it. But as a lone child werewolf his life is under constant threat. So when enigmatic Pack member Jeremy Danvers saves him, Clayton is determined to protect his adoptive father, no matter what the cost. So begins this gripping collection of four tales chronicling the bloody feuds of the American Pack, and the coming of age of Clay Danvers, a very powerful ? and very singular ? werewolf.

My thoughts:

Clayton wasn't like any other 6yr old boy, he was different and he knew it. When he discovered a werewolf living near his home and troubled family, he knew exactly what he wanted, and as a very determined young boy, set out to get it. When pack member Jeremy Danvers discovers the recently changed Clay, he befriends him and helps to mould him into one of the most powerful, loyal and dangerous werewolves out there, with some very interesting and sometimes funny incidents along the way.

This is the first book giving us a glimpse into the Men of the Otherworld. A fascinating insight to how the pack began and evovled into the one we know and love today. I adored Clay from the word go and here we get to see exactly why he is how he is, and where he gets his strengths and traits from. We also get to know the character Jeremy Danvers a whole lot more and gain a better understanding of the man he is. I can't help thinking though, that it would be a great basis to start the Women of the Otherworld series from as it does explain a lot.

Another recommended read! :friends0:

8/10

Great reviews Charm, I enjoyed that in 'The Men of the Otherworld' you learned more about Clay and where he was from

(and how willingly he allowed himself to be bitten)

and also you learned more about Jeremy's father (and how different they were) and also about Jeremy's Mum. :(

Frostbitten was a comfortable read I agree, Clay and Elena are so easy to read and the more you read about them, the more you learn about them :friends0:

Marked ~by~ P.C. and Kirsten Cast

When sixteen-year-old Zoey Redbird gets Marked as a fledgling vampire she must join the House of Night school where she will train to become an adult vampire. That is, if she makes it through the Change. But Zoe is no ordinary fledgling. She has been chosen as special by the Goddess Nyx and discovers her amazing new power to conjure the elements: earth, air, fire, water and spirit. When Zoey discovers that the leader of the Dark Daughters, the school's most elite group, is misusing her Goddess-given gifts, Zoey must look within herself to embrace her destiny - with a little help from her new vampire friends. Not suitable for younger readers.

My Thoughts:

I'm not quite sure how to go with this one but here goes. This book was co-written by P.C. Cast and her daughter Kirsten and to be honest, it kinda shows. It seems to contradict itself in so far as, it is a book aimed at teenagers with all the usual teenage angst and slang, and yet there are scenes in it of a more adult nature which would suggest a more mature teen, in which case I'm not sure if a more mature teen would totally enoy the immaturity of its characters, if that makes sense. If it didn't have the adult content it would be a great read for the earlier teenagers. The storyline is quick and easy with some of the elements a little too predictable for my liking, with the author seeming to take the easy way out.

Having said that, I think I would like to try something that was written by only one of the authors, P.C Cast, as I just didn't think the two writing together really worked. I'm not sure if I'd read any more of the series, unless I knew the characters had grown up a bit :friends0:

5/10

Great reviews Charm, I enjoyed that in 'The Men of the Otherworld' you learned more about Clay and where he was from

(and how willingly he allowed himself to be bitten)

and also you learned more about Jeremy's father (and how different they were) and also about Jeremy's Mum. :(

Frostbitten was a comfortable read I agree, Clay and Elena are so easy to read and the more you read about them, the more you learn about them :friends0:

Thanks Weave :D I did like how we learnt about Jeremy and his Mum too, it also explained how

he felt different with his 'other sense' he has, especially later in the series.

I'm looking forward to the next release, I believe it concentrates on Savannah! Should be good :guess:

Charm, for me the House of Night books started off well but as they progressed they became more and more like you mentioned, it shows that there is a definite combative element (if that is the right word) between the two authors, one wants to be responsibile and the other wants to 'down with the kids' (I am not sure which one to be honest).

The series has a lot of potential, if they could get past certain things, some of which were very unbelieveable, I mean its been a long time since I was teenager but I am pretty sure I used my brain at certain points. :friends0:

Thanks Weave :friends0: I did like how we learnt about Jeremy and his Mum too, it also explained how

he felt different with his 'other sense' he has, especially later in the series.

I'm looking forward to the next release, I believe it concentrates on Savannah! Should be good :(

Yes indeed, its called 'Waking the Witch':D which according to amazon is due for release on 5 Aug 2010.

Charm, for me the House of Night books started off well but as they progressed they became more and more like you mentioned, it shows that there is a definite combative element (if that is the right word) between the two authors, one wants to be responsibile and the other wants to 'down with the kids' (I am not sure which one to be honest).

The series has a lot of potential, if they could get past certain things, some of which were very unbelieveable, I mean its been a long time since I was teenager but I am pretty sure I used my brain at certain points. :D

:( Oh definately, I'm sure you did!

I'm glad I'm not the only one who saw the difference! You can really see the struggle between the two writing, it really didn't work for me. If as you say, they just get worse, I don't think I'll be reading any more of the series, which is a shame, it's a good concept :friends0:

Glad you enjoyed Frostbitten Charm - I loved it too! I think Elena is my favourite of the characters in the series, so I'm always pleased when she's in one of the books.

I've been debating whether or not to try The Men of the Otherworld, but I've seen a few reviews here, and you've tipped the balance in its favour, so I'm off to reserve it at the library website now :friends0:

I've kept going with the House of Night series, but I'm sort of getting to the end of my affection for it, in fact the only reason I bought tempted was because I got it in the Border closing down sale for a couple of pounds, so it seemed to good a bargain to turn my nose up at. I think this may be the last chance for the series to move on for me though, and if it doesn't move away from its own formula, I might give up.

I have this on my Library to be read beside my bed, so I hope I kind of like it... eeek.

Em .... :friends0:

Yes indeed, its called 'Waking the Witch':D which according to amazon is due for release on 5 Aug 2010.

Aww!! :( August? That's so far away! :D

Glad you enjoyed Frostbitten Charm - I loved it too! I think Elena is my favourite of the characters in the series, so I'm always pleased when she's in one of the books.

I've been debating whether or not to try The Men of the Otherworld, but I've seen a few reviews here, and you've tipped the balance in its favour, so I'm off to reserve it at the library website now :(.

Oh I really think you'd like it Chesilbeach, definately worth the read. :friends0:

I've kept going with the House of Night series, but I'm sort of getting to the end of my affection for it, in fact the only reason I bought tempted was because I got it in the Border closing down sale for a couple of pounds, so it seemed to good a bargain to turn my nose up at. I think this may be the last chance for the series to move on for me though, and if it doesn't move away from its own formula, I might give up.

I think if I got the books for one or two quid I might carry on too, but I'm not actively looking for them.

Dracula: The Un-Dead ~by~ Dacre Stoker & Ian Holt

The story begins in 1912, twenty-five years after the events described in the original novel. Dr. Jack Seward, now a disgraced morphine addict, hunts vampires across Europe with the help of a mysterious benefactor. Meanwhile, Quincey Harker, the grown son of Jonathan and Mina, leaves law school to pursue a career in stage at London's famous Lyceum Theatre. The production of Dracula at the Lyceum, directed and produced by Bram Stoker, has recently lost its star. Luckily, Quincey knows how to contact the famed Hungarian actor Basarab, who agrees to take the lead role. Quincey soon discovers that the play features his parents and their former friends as characters, and seems to reveal much about the terrible secrets he's always suspected them of harbouring. But, before he can confront them, Jonathan Harker is found murdered. The writers were able to access Bram Stoker's hand-written notes and have included in their story characters and plot threads that had been excised by the publisher from the original printing over a century ago. Dracula is one of the most recognized fictional characters in the world, having spawned dozens of multi-media spin-offs. The Un-Dead is the first Dracula story to enjoy the full support of the Stoker estate since the original 1931 movie starring Bela Lugosi.

My thoughts:

When I bought this book I expected something similar to the writings of the original, but Bram Stoker it's not. That's not to say it wasn't good, I loved it! The story carries on with the original main characters, Johnathon and Mina Harker, and the addition of quite a few more interesting ones, including their son Quincy.

It is a much easier, fast paced read than Dracula and not written in the flowery prose of the first, although it still conjured up that gothic dark feeling that we enjoyed in the original. I found it utterly enjoyable to read how the lives of the original cast progressed while the blending of other characters was both imaginative and entertaining.

The storyline thought up by the two authors used a lot of poetic license, and I would suggest an open mind if you plan on reading this. Both authors worked well together and the end result is a fantastic sequel.

I would definately recommend it :friends0:

10/10

The series has a lot of potential, if they could get past certain things, some of which were very unbelieveable, I mean its been a long time since I was teenager but I am pretty sure I used my brain at certain points. :friends0:

I've read the entire series and, though they started off a little rough, they have really progressed into a very unique and interesting story. I would suggest reading at least through 3 or 4 before you make your final decision whether or not to continue with them just because the plot is one of the most unique vampyre plots I have ever come across. They 'grow-up' quite a bit after the first.

Hunted (Book #5) is the best in the series IMO.

I've read the entire series and, though they started off a little rough, they have really progressed into a very unique and interesting story. I would suggest reading at least through 3 or 4 before you make your final decision whether or not to continue with them just because the plot is one of the most unique vampyre plots I have ever come across. They 'grow-up' quite a bit after the first.

Maybe if I see them as a bargain, I'll carry on! :friends0:

Dracula: The Un-Dead ~by~ Dacre Stoker & Ian Holt

The story begins in 1912, twenty-five years after the events described in the original novel. Dr. Jack Seward, now a disgraced morphine addict, hunts vampires across Europe with the help of a mysterious benefactor. Meanwhile, Quincey Harker, the grown son of Jonathan and Mina, leaves law school to pursue a career in stage at London's famous Lyceum Theatre. The production of Dracula at the Lyceum, directed and produced by Bram Stoker, has recently lost its star. Luckily, Quincey knows how to contact the famed Hungarian actor Basarab, who agrees to take the lead role. Quincey soon discovers that the play features his parents and their former friends as characters, and seems to reveal much about the terrible secrets he's always suspected them of harbouring. But, before he can confront them, Jonathan Harker is found murdered. The writers were able to access Bram Stoker's hand-written notes and have included in their story characters and plot threads that had been excised by the publisher from the original printing over a century ago. Dracula is one of the most recognized fictional characters in the world, having spawned dozens of multi-media spin-offs. The Un-Dead is the first Dracula story to enjoy the full support of the Stoker estate since the original 1931 movie starring Bela Lugosi.

My thoughts:

When I bought this book I expected something similar to the writings of the original, but Bram Stoker it's not. That's not to say it wasn't good, I loved it! The story carries on with the original main characters, Johnathon and Mina Harker, and the addition of quite a few more interesting ones, including their son Quincy.

It is a much easier, fast paced read than Dracula and not written in the flowery prose of the first, although it still conjured up that gothic dark feeling that we enjoyed in the original. I found it utterly enjoyable to read how the lives of the original cast progressed while the blending of other characters was both imaginative and entertaining.

The storyline thought up by the two authors used a lot of poetic license, and I would suggest an open mind if you plan on reading this. Both authors worked well together and the end result is a fantastic sequel.

I would definately recommend it :friends0:

10/10

Great review Charm, I have this on my TBR pile :D

I have 'Hunted' CaliLily, I will probably read it because I have it and the next book 'Tempted', it was 'Untamed' that put me off the books unfortunately and there is an excellent story but in certain aspects for me, its not working. :friends0:

Great review Charm, I have this on my TBR pile :D

Oh I can't wait to see what you think of it, bump it up to the top woman! :D

I see, I'm interested to hear what you (and you Charm, if you decide to go on reading them) think of Hunted and Tempted after you read them. The next in the series, Burned, is due out in mid 2010 I believe.

I will definately let you know if I do read them. :friends0:

I see, I'm interested to hear what you (and you Charm, if you decide to go on reading them) think of Hunted and Tempted after you read them. The next in the series, Burned, is due out in mid 2010 I believe.

Thanks CaliLily, I didn't know the name of the next title, I will read the ones I have because in alot of ways I have really enjoyed the series because the story is an excellent idea and original in a lot of ways, my main problem was the development of Zoey's character, she started off so well, now to me she seems more concern about her boyfriend(s) :friends0: