Why do you read?

Tintin

I like a couple of others here can't remember a time when I haven't read. I read for a variety of reasons:-

to escape

learn new things

relax

forget about my own problems

learn about other groups of society

to see how characters behave and interact with each other

because I want to

appreciate our heritage and history

to allow my imagination to 'see' the scene

because I am naturally bookish and love my own space

and mainly because I enjoy the sheer pleasure of just reading!

You summed my views up. :D

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like many of you, I've read for as long as I can remember. From the early days of Nancy Drew and The Babysitters Club series, I've always "had my nose in a book," as my parents liked to say. :lol: When I started approaching my teenage years, my parents always told me to get my nose out of the book or I'd never learn the roads and highways, and would be lost when it was time to get my driver's license. They were right! :17:

Oh my goodness. Your childhood sounds just like mine. Although I didn't read in the car that much. I would stare out the window and still manage to pay no attention to where I was going. So I have the same problem as you in that I don't know my way around the city I've lived all my life!

And I was very big on Nancy Drew and the BSC :D

Wow. This thread is such a great example that men and women balance out each other's sentimentality, or lack thereof! "Oh, I love escaping and learning and picturing those lovely characters..." "To learn/it's cheaper than alchohol" (Ernie and Eddie)

Stereotyping aside, my love for reading has been big, if not consistent and steady, all the way from kindergarten. All that's good in me seems to come from my Christian elementary-through-high school. There I was told how to read quite early, and with small class sizes there was plenty of time for the teachers and sweet librarian to show me the next favorite in whatever new series I discovered. (Yet another shout-out to Nancy Drew, Babysitter's Club, and in this case also Miss Pickerell!) My mom and grandma kept up the enthusiasm with recommendations of their own, which I trusted beyond anything. It's so wonderful to have people with your relationship with God on their minds, people to help you grow in Him.

I guess my reason to read is pretty social, then. It's what I do in my alone-time, but I know it wouldn't be good for me to enjoy solitude all the time. That sociability keeps the BCF going!:D

P.S. For any authors reading this, a big draw for me (and I'm sure many other readers) is learning from and gushingly admiring the characters. Maybe that admiration is to a fault.:lol:

Lots of reasons:

To escape

To be entertained

To travel to other places

To take my mind off of things

To relax

To learn

For the appreciation of language

And as I'm a writer too, I like to see how other writers do it

Pretty much exactly the same for me. The top one being my main reason probably. I love to be able to open the pages and escape to someone elses world for a few hours (or days...).

I was read to as a child and loved stories. I too loved the Nancy Drew books, and Point Horror, but stopped reading for pleasure through secondary school. At college we started reading A Clockwork Orange in class and I was so blown away by it I took it home and finished it that night. Never stopped reading since and did Eng. Lit for my degree.

Some books are just so amazing you pick up the next one in the hope of the same buzz! Escapism is a major reason too!

I took English Lit along with Philosophy in college, but now I'm sick of it. I don't want books broken down into themes and issues. I want to read a books and discuss it freely with other 'amateurs' as opposed to qualified 'experts'. It spoils it for me, taking exams about books.

I took English Lit along with Philosophy in college, but now I'm sick of it. I don't want books broken down into themes and issues. I want to read a books and discuss it freely with other 'amateurs' as opposed to qualified 'experts'. It spoils it for me, taking exams about books.

I thought about taking English Lit/Lang at college but decided against it because I didn't like the thought of reading a book for work rather than pleasure. I didn't like the breaking down part at GCSE.

I thought about taking English Lit/Lang at college but decided against it because I didn't like the thought of reading a book for work rather than pleasure. I didn't like the breaking down part at GCSE.

I hated the essay writing where you HAD to find special literary figures and specific meanings... especially when we had to read poetry.

I hated the essay writing where you HAD to find special literary figures and specific meanings... especially when we had to read poetry.

Exactly! There was an exam on the whole 'find the true meaning' with loads of poems. And urgh. It would have been Ok if we got to choose the books and poems ourselves :D

I've always been good at English - it was certainly my best academic subject until I got to college, which is why I took it without much thought. I much prefer Philosophy now, so English is a bit tainted. Still, I have gotten through some very good books as a result, so I can't complain too much. I also got to study things like Paradise Lost, which I would never have read in my own time.

That's a good point actually. I suppose you would read books that you would never consider usually.

I did Philosophy and I hated it! I was terrible at it, I have no idea how I passed. I'm doing Psychology at Uni now so I read some pretty interesting textbooks :D.

Ahhh cool. I did Psychology in 1st year, but decided I already knew what I wanted to know, and wasn't smart enough to deal with the rest :D I kept the textbook though, huge thing covering 6 areas of psychology (social, biology, disorders, etc.)

Philosophy is great :17: I have no idea why, it just is. :lol:

Some very interesting responses here :lol:

In the original post I also asked if anyone knew whether 'storytellers' still exist - perhaps I should have made that a separate thread.

I'd love to find something less formal than a launch 'reading' - I'm thinking 'round the fire', 'feet up in a comfy chair', 'nice glass of wine', 'chill out and listen to a really good story told by a master storyteller' :D

So, anyone know of such events or is it only children who have these opportunities (less the wine, of course)?

I'd love to find something less formal than a launch 'reading' - I'm thinking 'round the fire', 'feet up in a comfy chair', 'nice glass of wine', 'chill out and listen to a really good story told by a master storyteller' :D

I love the sound of that! :lol: Can't say I've ever heard of anything like it, but would love to go.

I love the sound of that! :D Can't say I've ever heard of anything like it, but would love to go.

Reading parties!! Preview parties..

Have a small 'get together' with wine and.... cheese? I don't know, whatever posh people do, and for each party allocate a theme, which allows a set number of people to read an related exerpt or something. Haha.

In the original post I also asked if anyone knew whether 'storytellers' still exist - perhaps I should have made that a separate thread.

So, anyone know of such events or is it only children who have these opportunities (less the wine, of course)?

mmm, I know my mum has taken part in some storytelling sessions: not quite what you describe but definitely not book launches either. Just a storyteller coming to spin his stories in a nice room with a small group of 'spectators'. It was part of special events or the local theatres anual program.

Maybe you should be on the lookout in your library, local theatres, any cultural events that come up...

I read for most of the reasons already mentioned - but for different reasons with different types of books. With non-fiction to broaden my knowledge and for research for my own writing. With fiction if I am honest it is mostly as a distraction to pass the time. I did not have the easiest of childhoods and I found that books helped me to escape from my own reality. I suppose that has stuck, and it has now become a habit. That is not to say that I don't get enjoyment from books, for I do, and have learnt a lot from them, about how different poeple live and so on, and also about human nature, but primarily it is for me a distraction.

I love the sound of that! :D Can't say I've ever heard of anything like it, but would love to go.

:D

Does sound pretty good doesn't it?

The Storyteller would be the single most important part of this and would have to be someone with 'presence' and suitable vocal skills. The rest is relatively easy to sort out.

Perhaps if we keep the thread going we may find someone who knows of such an individual and we could get something organised. Some of my other interests (ok, bikes) organise various meets and I don't see why we couldn't try something similar given the right incentive.

Either way, post here if you know or have heard of someone like this. Personally, I'd be prepared to travel a fair distance to find an evening like this!

I read to relax and also as a form of escapism. Not that I live a particularly horrific life or anything (lol) but I believe there is no greater freedom than the work of another and your imagination in unison. You can be become free, enraptured or even lost - there are no limitations. That's probably why I go back to regular authors that I love - I do try new authors but I can normally tell quickly whether they are someone who can help me to 'transport', and if they can't I don't return to them.

Sorry for butting in - I'm new and not sure of the etiquette so I thought I'd jump in feet first. Hope that's ok.

Being in IT I spend a lot of time working with computers, and I don't help that when I come home and end up surfing the net for an hour or two or playing computer games.

I also like to watch films and cult TV programs, so I find reading to be a refreshing alternative - something low-tech that requires no batteries and no hum of machinery.

I also enjoy the process of discovery that you are involved in when reading a book, it is something you don't quite get with any other form of story telling.

What's going to happen over the next page?

Who knows?!

It could be anything!

Brilliant!