Kylie's Literary Adventures in 2009

Kylie

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I needed a break from Far from the Madding Crowd, even though I haven't gotten that far into it, so I turned to The Code of the Woosters by PG Wodehouse. Man that guy can write! Every single book of his is terrific: very funny and a nice light read to go with the heavier classic. :)

I wish I could remember them too! I'll have to start writing them down I think, although I'll probably fill my notebook pretty quickly because there are so many great lines!

No I haven't seen Fry and Laurie, but I'm dying to! And you've just given me a great idea. My birthday is coming up and I'm supposed to be thinking of things I want. I see the complete Jeeves and Wooster on DVD on the horizon! :)

Thanks Janet! It's definitely going on the list.

I'm practically drooling now. :)

I'm really enjoying The Code of the Woosters. Classic Wodehouse. It's hard to bring myself to pick up Far from the Madding Crowd now that I've started this second read.

I hope you get to read 'Instance of the Fingerpost' this year, Kylie! I got very excited when I saw it on your list :). It's one of my all-time favorite books by Pears and if you do get to it, I really, really, REALLY hope you like it!!!

Oh! And I just saw a Matthew Pearl on your list too. Have you read his first book 'The Dante Club?' I just saw tonight that he has a third book coming out in March (Feb in the UK) called 'The Last Dickens,' so I went ahead and pre-ordered it, lol.

Edited by peacefield
Forgot to add Matthew!

I haven't read The Dante Club but it sounds like an interesting read. I hadn't heard about The Last Dickens. I better get reading if I want to catch up!

I bought An Instance of the Fingerpost on recommendations that I read here, but in all reality it's not particularly high on my list for this year (it doesn't help that it seems quite long!) But I'll try to bump it up now that I've got another recommendation. Thanks! :)

Oh, you won't regret asking for Jeeves and Wooster on DVD as a present, Kylie - it's brilliant! Laurie is so funny as bumbling Wooster but it's Fry who steals the show with his sublime portrayal of Jeeves! ;)

So true Janet. And he manages it all with a mere twitch of the mouth, slight raising of the eyebrow or intonation of voice :) The other characters are all extremely well acted too ..... love Gussie Fink-Nottle and Madeleine Bassett. You won't regret it Kylie :D

Kylie - The Dante Club was a favorite book of mine from that year and I highly recommend it! To tell you the truth, I liked it more than the Poe Shadow, but that's just my personal taste. Longfellow and the other authors featured really appeal to me, and combine that with Boston just after the American Civil War and I was in love :). I also spent some time in Boston and Cambridge just after reading it so it makes it even more appealing.

I just finished a book on your list: THE BEAUTIFUL AND DAMNED by F. Scott Fitzgerald.

Bleak, depressing, but beautifully written. Some of the character work is pitch-perfect.

Thanks for letting me know! F Scott Fitzgerald is working his way into my list of favourite authors. I'd really like to re-read The Great Gatsby but I'd feel so guilty with so many other books on my TBR pile. Then again, it's only a short read...

That's not a bad effort! I don't think I could manage that.

I usually can't manage that...not by a long shot. But I think I've finally reached a point where I've decided enough is enough. I can't continue to buy so many books anymore. My TBR pile is driving me nuts (but in a good way :readingtwo:)

Thought I'd give a brief review of some of the short stories I've read in recent weeks:

F Scott Fitzgerald: The Jelly-Bean 7/10

In the context of this story, a Jelly-Bean is an 'idler'. Jim, the Jelly-Bean, is a bit of a loner in town but decides to change when he falls for the local bad girl.

A very well-written short story.

Nathaniel Hawthorne: The Birth-Mark 9/10

For a story written a couple of hundred years ago, it has quite a lot of relevance to society today. The story is about a beautiful woman who has only one physical flaw: a birth-mark on her cheek. She marries a scientist who begins to resent her flaw and tries to talk her into letting him remove it. She eventually agrees to his wishes. But what price do you place on happiness?

A brilliant story that reminded me a lot of Edgar Allan Poe. Very highly recommended.

Leo Tolstoy: Ivan the Fool 7/10

A fable about three brothers who seeking their fortunes, while devils try to wreak havoc on their lives.

Not at all what I was expecting of my first Leo Tolstoy read. If his writing is this accessible, I should have no trouble with War and Peace! I wasn't overwhelmed by the greatness of it (it is a fable, after all), but it wasn't a bad little read.

I finished The Code of the Woosters yesterday. Another thoroughly enjoyable book by PG Wodehouse. I'm wavering between giving it a 9 or 10 out of 10. I'll stick with 9 for now, but I reserve the right to change my mind at any moment (I am a woman after all :roll:)

And I've put in my 'wish' to receive the Complete Jeeves & Wooster DVDs for my birthday :(

I've started reading The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Stories by Robert Louis Stevenson, and am enjoying the story so far. This is one of those classics that I've only known the vague story of (mostly through a Looney Tunes cartoon), so it'll be interesting to see how it compares to what I think I know about it. :(

I'm having a week off work in a week or so (my first break in such a long time). I've vowed to spend most of the time reading. Usually I get side-tracked and don't read as much as I'd like, but I'm going to be strict with myself this time.

I'd like to knock a couple of books off my TBR pile (yes, only a couple...I'm a slow reader). Here's the list I'm contemplating. As you can see, I'm going for short and/or light reads to help me in my quest. My top priorities are (at this stage) to read the next book in the Chronicles of Narnia, and then the Connolly and Blyton books.

Enid Blyton: The Magic Faraway Tree

John Connolly: The Book of Lost Things

Louise Fitzhugh: Harriet the Spy

William Goldman: The Princess Bride

Ernest Hemingway: A Farewell to Arms

CS Lewis: The Chronicles of Narnia (x 5)

Norman Lindsay: The Magic Pudding

John Marsden: The Great Gatenby

John Marsden: The Journey

John Marsden: Letters from the Inside

John Marsden: Out of Time

Terry Pratchett: The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2)

Erich Maria Remarque: All Quiet on the Western Front

Scott Westerfeld: Uglies

Edited by Kylie
Fixed the Discworld title