Janet's Reading Log 2009

Janet

• Replies 190
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

:D I am a little scared. :lol: To be fair, I chat more about Noughts & Crosses now so I can be forgiven a little.

Started by George Orwell this morning - (I had a half-term lie-in! :D ). I'm only on page 28/189 but it's great so far. I love Orwell's easy writing/reading style of his non-fiction books. :D

I did have 1984 on my wishlist but I took it off as I worried the writing style wouldn't be for me. Have you read it?

I've just started The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham.

I decided to read something out of my comfort zone and this is it! I never read sci-fi.

I guess I'm cheating slightly because I read it at secondary school (such a long time ago!) but I've just finished the first chapter and have no recollection of the story at all - and I watched the 80s TV version too! :shrug:

I know it's being remade for the BBC this year so wanted to read it before that's released. ;)

This is also part of my 'reading through the decades challenge' published in the 1950s. :smile2:

Finished The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham this afternoon.

I *loved* this book! I normally avoid sci-fi like the plague (I do have War of the Worlds on my 'to read' pile) but this was fabulous! - I can't praise it highly enough! 10/10

I'm making my husband read it next!

Thanks. :D It seems that quite a few people read it at school.

My Mum (who is far better read than I am) has never read it, so I shall be taking it over when hubby (starts and) finishes it.

ETA: I'm going to read What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn next.

Edited by Janet

What Was Lost by Catherine O'Flynn

019-2009-Mar-23-WhatWasLost.jpg

The ‘blurb’

A lost little girl with her notebook and toy monkey appears on the CCTV screens of the Green Oaks shopping centre, evoking memories of a junior detective, Kate Meaney, missing for 20 years. Kurt, a security guard with a sleep disorder and Lisa, a disenchanted deputy manager at Your Music, follow her through the centre’s endless corridors - welcome relief from the behaviour of customers, colleagues and the Green Oak’s mystery shopper. But as this after-hours friendship grows in intensity, it brings new loss and new longing to light.

This book is set in 1984 and 2003/4.

In 1984, Kate and her trusty sidekick, a toy monkey called Mickey, keep up surveillance on a number of ‘suspects’ in the Green Oaks shopping centre. A bit of a loner, she spends time on her own or with Adrian, the son of the local sweet shop owner who is quite a bit older than her. It’s a strange but entirely innocent friendship.

The action skips forward to 2003 and Kate has been missing for 20 years after failing to turn up for an entrance exam at an esteemed public school. Kurt and Lisa are intrigued by the sighting of a little girl carrying a monkey and make it their mission to try to find her. Each has their own personal reasons for wanting to solve the mystery of Kate’s disappearance.

O’Flynn’s characterisation is spot on and the feelings of loneliness that seem to come from the main characters are realistically written and the way she portrays the soullessness of the shopping centre is also very well done.

One of my favourite characters in the early part of the novel was Theresa, who was first depicted as being ‘thick’ and rather unruly, but who in reality was a very kind and clever girl. I loved the 'not quite selfless' act of Kate putting Theresa’s name on the exam paper, enabling Theresa to have the start in life that she really deserved.

Perhaps some of the coincidences are a bit… well, far-fetched, but it didn’t matter a jot. This is one of my favourite reads so far this year and I’m eagerly awaiting her next book. :haha:

Edited by Janet

My Mum has read this and keeps recommending it to me and then not being able to find her copy! It's written by and author who comes from Birmingham and apparently the shopping centre is based on Merry Hill- at least Mum claims she recognises it from the descriptions, although I would have thought that all shopping centres are pretty mush the same

Finished The Day of the Triffids by John Wyndham this afternoon.

I *loved* this book! I normally avoid sci-fi like the plague (I do have War of the Worlds on my 'to read' pile) but this was fabulous! - I can't praise it highly enough! 10/10

I'm making my husband read it next!

So glad you enjoyed it, it's a great book. I read it last year.

Quite intrigued by What Was Lost - it does sound good. (mustn't add to wish list, mustn't!)