Rach's 2009 Reading Lists

rach.at.the.disco

I actually can only remember parts of the last battle, the ending and some random scenes, i've been meaning to re-read it, it's very enjoyable going through the series again anyhow :lol:

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I also read it a little too fast, i queued up and bought at midnight :lol:

Luckily my ex was nice enough to que up for me at midnight so I could stay at home in bed :D. It was my birthday that day though and the book was my present. However, birthday celebrations meant I couldn't spend all day reading it :roll:. If I would have had my way I would have been reading it in the pub :).

I went to London for the release, I was going to get the book at midnight but I ended up getting a migraine and then because I was meeting people in London I couldn't get the book the next day either

Haha i'd just been hanging at my friends, next thing i know i'm like 'im off :)' - 'why?' - to get the new Harry Potter book of course!' :lol:

That's why i read it so fast, like when i lived at home, there were about three copies and i was like 'i need to read this first' so sped through it, now i don't even remember more than three scenes and the ending oops :lol: hence my desire to go through the series again.

• 2 weeks later...

23. Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets - J.K Rowling

Synopsis from Waterstones:

Harry can't wait for his holidays with the dire Dursleys to end. But a small, self-punishing house-elf warns Harry of mortal danger awaiting him at Hogwarts School. Returning to the castle nevertheless, Harry hears a rumour about a chamber of secrets, holding unknown horrors to magicians of Muggle parentage. Now someone is casting spells that turn people to stone, and a terrible warning is found painted on the wall. The chief suspect - who's always in the wrong place - is Harry. But something much darker has yet to be unleashed.

Started: 15th April

Finished: 25th April

251 pages

Rating: 8/10

Hi Rach. This was the last Harry Potter book that I read all the way through. I only got half way through The Prisoner of Azkaban before I lost interest. People keep going on at me to read more, saying they get better and better, but I can't bring myself to even buy the buggers.

I think I was spoiled a little by reading another series of books for young adults called His Dark Materials by Phillip Pullman. The questions his writing raised I found compelling, and his characters were full of shades of grey - nothing was as black and white as it first appears. I also loved the development of the characters. I shall cease banging on about it now.

I think another thing that put me off the Potter books was that, at the time of my reading them, I was a peripatetic teacher. Every child in every school I went into had a copy in their mitts or on their desk, like it was a talisman or something.

People were raving about how J K Rowling had given children the reading bug and that this was a marvellous thing. I agreed with this whole-heartedly, but only in the cases of the children that went on to read other authors - most of the kids went on to read all of the Potter books again, then, over time, stopped reading to play on their x-box or Playstation.

Does this post sound grumpy? I hope not, because I do not mean it to! :D

Maybe I should give them another go? What do you think? A part of me is resistant, because that's what I do. I resist stuff, and it's very silly of me. For example, my friends (who know me very well) were going on about how I ought to watch Flight Of The Conchords because I would love it for ages. And because eveerybody was telling me to watch it, I refused. Stubborn and stupid. Because when I finally sat down and watched it, guess what! I loved it.

I ought to be given a pill or something.

Hope this finds you well, Rach.

:)

Like Mac I lost interest in Harry Potter too....... the middle of the third book, whichever that one was, apparently it's the best one :D.

Unlike Mac, I have never felt the need to pick up a Phillip Pullman book. I think I am bored of them before I even start :).

That makes me sound awful I know.

I have been thinking about having another go at the HP as they are filming a scene for the new movie near where I live next month. There is options for locals to be 'extras'. Not me I hasten to add, I would HATE it.

I would like to read the book before I see the film and of course I am going to HAVE to see the film to see if I can spot anybody I know in the crowd.

I was the same, and am the same, about things people recommend or anything that is hyped up, i tend to find things out or try things in my own time etc so when i asked a friend about Harry Potter in like 2002 and he said it was brilliant, i was a little sceptical, but i tried it and grudgingly found it great :) I don't think they get 'better' as it goes along, it certainly gets more complex, but i find the earlier books perhaps more enjoyable than the later ones, maybe i just like how charming the first couple are in a lot of places. I would definitely recommend continuing and taking them for what they are and not that they're 'Harry Potter' books if that makes sense, i'm not sure. It's a fantastic series of books though. I agree about His Dark Materials, those books are great :D

Unlike Mac, I have never felt the need to pick up a Phillip Pullman book. I think I am bored of them before I even start :D.

That makes me sound awful I know.

My friend, this does not make you sound awful at all. If the mere thought of the blessed things bores you, then avoid them at all costs. I believe that I would feel the same if someone suggested that I read a Maeve Binchy jobbie (my Nan loves them).

But Pullman really is terribly good.

Do try The Historian. I am confident that you will not be disappointed.

Hiiiiiiiiiiiii Mac. It took me a while to read Harry Potter, I watched the first film when it came out on video (how old am I??!!) and enjoyed it so I decided to give the books a go. After re-reading the first two I realised that I much prefer the later books, they're a bit darker and more interesting and as Rawr says a bit more complex. It makes it a lot more interesting I think and gets your brain working much more trying to take in all the detail. The first ones was a bit slow, nothing really happens and I was just plodding along reading them not that they aren't good because they are rather enjoyable but there's just something about them that's not as enticing as the later ones.

I've got as far as picking up His Dark Materials in the shop, they've yet to jump into my basket!! Maybe I should, I may end up liking it.

His Dark Materials should definitely be on your TBR list, they are brilliant and pretty layered books :)

It took me ages to get into reading the Harry Potter books - I deliberately avoided them because of all of the hype!

By the time I'd started reading them 'The Order of Phoenix' had just come out in paperback! Glad I read them though as I understood what all the fuss was about!

I agree that they did get better after that 'Prisoner of Azkaban' - the other two were quite young - especially if you watch the film! They got darker as the characters got older!

I've got the Phillip Pullman books but just couldn't get into the first one! I definitely need to try again though as everyone I know that has read them absolutely loves them!

I agree that they did get better after that 'Prisoner of Azkaban' - the other two were quite young - especially if you watch the film! They got darker as the characters got older!

Absolutely, that's why I enjoyed them much more :).

I've got the Phillip Pullman books but just couldn't get into the first one! I definitely need to try again though as everyone I know that has read them absolutely loves them!

Oh no, I may give it a go though. I'll just get the first one for now and see how it goes.

24. Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban - J.K Rowling

Harry Potter is a wizard. He is in his third year at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. It's always a relief to return to school after summer with the Dursleys. However, Harry doesn't realise that this year will be just as eventful as the last two! The atmosphere at Hogwarts is tense. There's an escaped mass murderer on the loose, even the Muggles have been warned. The sinister prison guards of Azkaban have been called in to guard the school and Harry, Ron and Hermione rapidly discover why all witches and wizards live in fear of being sent to Azkaban. Lessons, however, must go on and there are lots of new subjects in the third year - Care of Magical Creatures and Divination among others, plus the delights of trips to Hogsmeade, the only village in the UK entirely populated by the magical community.

Started: 25th April

Finished: 28th April

317 pages

Rating: 8.5/10

25. Angels and Demons - Dan Brown

When a world renowned scientist is found brutally murdered in a Swiss research facility, a Harvard professor, Robert Langdon, is summoned to identify the mysterious symbol seared onto the dead man's chest. His baffling conclusion: that it is the work of the Illuminati, a secret brotherhood presumed extinct for nearly four hundred years - reborn to continue their bitter vendetta against their most hated enemy, the Catholic church. In Rome, the college of cardinals assembles to elect a new pope. Yet somewhere within the walls of the Vatican, an unstoppable bomb of terrifying power relentlessly counts down to oblivion. While the minutes tick away, Langdon joins forces with Vittoria Vetra, a beautiful and mysterious Italian scientist, to decipher the labyrinthine trail of ancient symbols that snakes across Rome to the long-forgotten Illuminati lair a secret refuge wherein lies the only hope for the Vatican. But, with each revelation comes another twist, another turn in the plot, which leaves Langdon and Vetra reeling and at the mercy of a seemingly invisible enemy.

Started: 29th April

Finished: 3rd May

620 pages

Rating: 9.5/10

26. Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire - J.K Rowling

When the Quidditch World Cup is disrupted by Voldemort's rampaging supporters and the terrifying Dark Mark is resurrected, it is obvious to Harry that, far from failing, Voldemort is getting stronger. The ultimate symbol to the magic world of the evil Lord's return would be if the one and only survivor of his death curse, Harry Potter, could finally be beaten. So when Harry is entered for the Triwizard Tournament - a competition between three wizarding schools to find the ultimate magician - he knows that rather than win it, he just has to get through the trials alive.

Started: 29th April

Finished: 6th May

636 pages

Rating: 8/10

27. Handle With Care - Jodi Picoult

Everything breaks. Some things just hurt more than others. Charlotte O'Keefe's beautiful, much-longed-for, adored daughter Willow is born with osteogenesis imperfecta - a very severe form of brittle bone disease. If she slips on a crisp packet she could break both her legs, and spend six months in a half body cast. After years of caring for Willow, her family faces financial disaster. Then Charlotte is offered a lifeline. She could sue her obstetrician for wrongful birth - for not having diagnosed Willow's condition early enough in the pregnancy to be able to abort the child. The payout could secure Willow's future. But to get it would mean Charlotte suing her best friend. And standing up in court to declare that she would have prefered that Willow had never been born...

Started: 7th May

Finished: 8th May

503 pages

Rating: 8.5/10