Lilywhite

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

The Other Queen

Philippa Gregory

A dramatic novel of passion, politics and betrayal from the author of The Other Boleyn Girl, in which Mary, Queen of Scots, fights to regain her kingdom whilst under the guard of Queen Elizabeth's trusted accomplice, Bess of Hardwick Mary is Queen of Scotland but she has been forced to flee her land and take refuge in an England that is ruled by her cousin Elizabeth. But England, precarious in its Protestant state, set against the mighty powers of Spain, France and Rome, doesn't need a charismatic Catholic figurehead at large. So Elizabeth's chief advisor, Cecil, devises a plan in which Mary will live under guard with his trusted accomplice: Bess of Hardwick. Bess is a self-made woman, a shrewd survivor. She is newly married to her fourth and most distinguished husband, the Earl of Shrewsbury. But what marriage can withstand the charms of Mary? Or the threat of rebellion that she always carries? Mary must wait in her privileged imprisonment for the return to Scotland and her infant son; but waiting is not the same as doing nothing!With her characteristic combination of superb storytelling and authentic historical background, Philippa Gregory brings to life this period of great change in her final novel in the Tudor series.

Started: 14/08/09

Finished: 12/09/09

Rated: 3/5

Comments: I honestly can't believe it took me a month to read this book. I found it a bit difficult to get into at first as it switches between 3 main characters but after the first few chapters I really began to enjoy it. I've never really read much about Bess of Hardwick or Mary Queen of Scots but this book really brought the characters to life for me. Another wonderful novel by Philippa which leaves me yearning for more....

• 5 weeks later...

Alice Hartley's Happiness

Philippa Gregory

Alice Hartley can no longer arouse the interest of her pompous husband, the adulterous professor. Despite her efforts, she still leaves him cold. Just as she is compelled to face this chilling truth, she meets Michael, a young student with an excessive libido. In Michael, Alice discovers an endless supply of all she has sought: revenge, sex and a large house suitable for conversion. Soon the house is thigh-deep with women joyfully casting off the shacles of their oppression. Sadly, some narrow-minded neigbours and numerous forces of the law seem completely impervious to all those healing vibrations!

Started: 12/09/09

Finished: 18/09/09

Comments: This book was nothing like what I was expecting, however, I thoroughly enjoyed it. For some reason I was expecting more of a 'Crimson Petal and the White'. In places it had me laughing out loud and in a short time, I grew attached to the characters. Worth a read.

Don't Talk Back To Your Vampire

Michele Bardsley

Being a mother is never easy-especially when you're undead.

Eva LeRoy, Broken Heart, Oklahoma's librarian, got "vampified" when everyone else did: during a rogue vampire's feeding frenzy. But books still make her undead heart beat-and, strangely enough, so does Lorcan the Loner, the vampire who killed her...

Started: 19/09/09

Finished: 29/09/09

Rated: 4/5

Comments: I love these books! Michele Bardsley is definately up there with Kelley Armstrong and MaryJanice Davidson in my opinion. What I thought would be some light vampire fluff has turned up some great plot and a fantastic setting. If you love MJ Davidsons Undead series, you'll love these too.

• 2 weeks later...

The Birthing House

Christopher Ransom

When Conrad Harrison impulse-buys a big old house in Wisconsin, his wife Jo doesn't share his enthusiasm, reluctant at the idea of leaving their LA life - so Conrad is left to set up their new home as she ties up loose ends at work. But Conrad's new purchase is not all that it seems. Soon Conrad is hearing the ghostly wailing of a baby in the night, seeing blood on the floor and being haunted by a woman who looks exactly like Jo. With his wife away, Conrad becomes obsessed by the pregnant girl next door, Nadia, who claims to be a victim of the evil in the house. The crying leads him to a bricked-up body, and the mystery of the Birthing House unravels, pulling in Jo, Nadia and leading Conrad to a nightmarish conclusion...

Started: 29/09/09

Finished: 24/10/09

Rated: 2/5

Comments: I'm not sure what I think of this book. On the whole, I didn't like it but something compelled me to read it to the end. I get the idea the author wants to be Stephen King but in no way does he pull it off. There was a good story hidden away in there and occasionally, it was heading down the right path. However, in the end it went a bit awry and I'm not even sure I understood it all anyway. Very confused.

• 4 weeks later...

Greywalker

Kat Richardson

Meet Harper Blaine. She also sees dead people?Harper Blaine is a small-time private investigator trying to earn a living when a low-life savagely assaults her, leaving her for dead. For two minutes, to be precise. When Harper comes to in the hospital, she begins to feel a bit ...strange. She sees things that can only be described as weird-shapes emerging from a foggy grey mist, snarling teeth, creatures roaring. But Harper's not crazy. Her "death" has made her a Greywalker - able to move between our world and the mysterious, cross-over zone where things that go bump in the night exist. And her new gift (or curse) is about to drag her into that world of vampires and ghosts, magic and witches, necromancers and sinister artifacts. Whether she likes it or not.

Started: 28/10/09

Finished: 22/11/09

Rated: 2/5

Comments: Maybe the score is a little unfair on this one but the truth is, I just didn't care enough. It's a great idea for a book but the execution was poor. I was plodding along with the story but there just isn't much to it. Shame really but I don't think I'll be giving the second book a go.

• 4 weeks later...

Dewey: The Small-town Library-cat Who Touched the World

Vicki Myron

On the coldest morning of the year, Vicki Myron found a tiny, bedraggled kitten almost frozen to death in the night drop box of the library where she worked, and her life — and the town of Spencer, Iowa — would never be the same.

Vicki was a single mother who had survived the loss of her family farm and an alcoholic, abusive husband. But her biggest challenge as the new head librarian in Spencer was to raise the spirits of a small, out-of-the-way town mired deep in the farm crisis of the 1980s.

Dewey, as the townspeople named the kitten, quickly grew into a strutting, adorable library cat whose antics kept patrons in stitches, and whose sixth sense about those in need created hundreds of deep and loving friendships.

As his fame grew, people drove hundreds of miles to meet Dewey, and people all over the world fell in love with him.

Through it all, Dewey remained a loyal companion, a beacon of hope not just for Vicki, but for the entire town of Spencer as it slowly, steadily pulled itself up from the worst financial crisis in its long history. Dewey won hearts and proved to everyone he encountered that unconditional love comes in many forms.

Started: 22/11/09

Finished: 01/12/09

Rated: 4/5

Comments: I'll never learn will I? Taken in by the cutest looking cat on the cover with the bad luck story. I loved this book and am not ashamed to say I cried at the end. At least I managed to make it to the end, unlike Marley and Me where I couldn't bring myself to read through my tears. I have to say, the end hurt a little. You learn so much about Dewey that you can't help but feel a little saddened (or a lot in my case). Highly recommended but be warned..... you already know how it will end.

Lilywhite, I've heard about the cat in the news ages ago and was surprised to see there was a book about her as well, I've been thinking about reading it sometime but I'm not sure if it's worth buying though? I'm eager to see what you think of this book :D I hope you enjoy it!

• 2 weeks later...

With or Without You

Carole Matthews

When Jake tells Lyssa it's not working, she knows he's not talking about the toaster - nor is he referring to their fourth failed attempt at IVF. What she doesn't realise is that he's having an affair with a girl at work. Lyssa is faced with two choices - sink or swim - and, after a fairly shaky start, she decides to swim with style...

Started: 02/12/09

Finished: 13/12/09

Comments: I enjoyed this book. Light reading with a not-too-complicated plot. A happy ending and all things nice. Will definately be reading some more from Carole.

• 2 weeks later...

The Christmas Books

Charles Dickens

Dickens story of solitary miser Ebenezer Scrooge, who is taught the true meaning of Christmas by a series of ghostly visitors, has proved one of his most well-loved works. Ever since it was published in 1843 it has had an enduring influence on the way we think about the traditions of Christmas. Dickens other Christmas writings collected here include The Story of the Goblins who Stole a Sexton, the short story from The Pickwick Papers on which A Christmas Carol was based; along with shorter pieces drawn from the Christmas Stories that Dickens wrote annually for his weekly journals. In all of them Dickens celebrates the season as one of geniality, charity and remembrance.

Started: 14/12/09

Finished: 24/12/09

Rated: 5/5

Comments: Absolutely adore Dickens. Can't say more than that.

• 3 weeks later...

Sleep With Me

Joanna Briscoe

Richard and Lelia’s child is conceived in a moment of giggling chaos as they dress for a Christmas party. When they arrive, rudely late and still glowing, they barely register a slight, drab woman in the hall. Sylvie.

As their baby grows, so too does the presence of that barely noticeable figure. Slowly Richard finds himself seduced by Sylvie’s subtle, almost imperceptible charm. As he grows more ambivalent about the approaching birth of his child, Lelia finds herself haunted by painful secrets of her past. And Sylvie seems to be nowhere, yet everywhere. She’s as invisible as she wants to be, and that is the source of her power. Beware of mice.

How far can you trust even those you love? A story of compulsion, desire, darkness and betrayal, Sleep With Me moves towards a breathtaking climax. It confirms Joanna Briscoe as a major literary talent.

Started: 24/12/09

Finished:

Rated:

Comments: