Do Authors read our reviews

Colin Jacobs

I often wondered if any authors read our reviews and comments and those on Amazon say. I often write direct to them if I find any mistakes, usually of a natural history theme, but I found one in a book in which the hero used C02 as an imflaminant.

I do get replies and have had my corrections re written in subsequent re prints.

If writers do read our reviews would they ever come on here and reply?

CJ.

I wouldn't have thought reading forum board posts would be particularly good for the ole self confidence. There are those who will obviously say kind things and pass honest praise, but I tend to find forum boards are more negative in tone than positive - doesn't it ever get demoralising?

The first time I saw a negative comment about one of my books online, I felt physically sick. I was so upset I actually couldn't bring myself to read any further (it was a bad review on Amazon) and I had to close down the browser before I could see any more. So I definitely DID take that one to heart and agonised over it for a while. :)

Since then, there have been a few other negative remarks/reviews but I have found it easier to shrug them off and remind myself that everyone has different tastes etc. Besides which, I've also had far more really lovely, positive reviews and emails from people about my books, which make up for the occasional less-than-nice one. :)

I google my own name regularly to see if anyone has written about me, and also check on amazon (both sites) for reviews. Maybe I am lucky in that I am yet to receive a really bad one. When I find myself mentioned on other blog sites etc I always take the time to write to the owners and say thanks, and reply to every email as well that I receive from readers (not that I get that many).

• 1 month later...

I just saw this thread (over a month late.)

Since I write screenplays, I have learned to have thick skin when reading reviews on-line, especially from anonymous posters. They can be brutal. With the release of the book, I haven't had too many negative ones, and I think "readers" in general tend to be kinder or at least more civil than moviegoers.

But I honestly don't mind criticism... I enjoy discussing the books and movies with people who took the time to read or watch them. I'd always prefer intelligent discourse, but I have laughed out loud at some of the more wicked (and sometimes clever) potshots taken on-line.