What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

I now an author who has won a price in France, I can't know why. His name is Weyergans and his book is about "I don't want to write, but I'm paid so I write lines about cinema, but the story is that I'm going to my mother's because she's old". And he writes it that way. Okay.

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As usual, Giulia writes how I think, but with such articulation and eloquence that I feel a little intimidated! :) Suffice to say, I feel exactly the same way.
Wahey, I'm the spokesperson of a generation :lol: go me!

Any Dan Brown books... "You haven't read it? I'm surprised they let you work here"
If I ran a bookshop, I might very well only employ people who either hadn't read it or had read it and not enjoyed it :D.

I now an author who has won a price in France, I can't know why. His name is Weyergans and his book is about "I don't want to write, but I'm paid so I write lines about cinema, but the story is that I'm going to [kill?] my mother's because she's old". And he writes it that way. Okay.
Man, that sounds riveting :D not.

If I ran a bookshop, I might very well only employ people who either hadn't read it or had read it and not enjoyed it :lol:.

The HR manager at Borders used to always ask people's favourite book. Apparently about one in three said "Katie Price's book", and were consequently not hired.

CornFlowerBlue, I'm a fellow clerk in a bookshoppe. Ours is independent and we LOVE it, we do it just the way we see fit to run it and thats why we've survived for so long (over 30 years I believe).

Dont you just love those customers who come in off a space ship from a parallel universe and ask you questions like that? I had a woman call the store and told me that she was looking for a book that "might have been written by a woman whose first name was Margaret and it took place maybe in Arizona" AREYOUSERIOUS?!!

My response? Uh, no, Margaret wrote a book that took place in Canada. And its out of stock!

I won't be reading Twilight either. Doesn't interest me in the slightest. Buffy put me right off all that sort of thing.

I'm getting increasingly peed off, every time I go into Waterstones, that the section entitled 'Dark Fantasy/Romance' seems to grow exponentially, whilst the sf/fantasy section shrinks to accommodate it. Grrrr. :blush:

Yes, yes, I know - supply and demand. I don't care. I demand my sf and fantasy, so they should blimmin' well supply it <<snooty look>> :tong:

I'm getting increasingly peed off, every time I go into Waterstones, that the section entitled 'Dark Fantasy/Romance' seems to grow exponentially, whilst the sf/fantasy section shrinks to accommodate it. Grrrr. Yes, yes, I know - supply and demand. I don't care. I demand my sf and fantasy, so they should blimmin' well supply it
I sympathise with the annoyance, although surely that's what the Forbidden Planet flagship store on Shaftesbury Avenue is for :)?

I sympathise with the annoyance, although surely that's what the Forbidden Planet flagship store on Shaftesbury Avenue is for :)?

Sure, but only if I feel like traipsing into central London. I get to Forbidden Planet a couple of times a year, maybe. My local Waterstones had a pretty decent sf/fantasy section this time last year. It's all changed now. If I see Stephanie Meyer I will be sure to throw something at her :);)

Well I'm a guy so Chick Lit. My wife wants me to try one of her Nicolas Sparks books! I can't do it! Also I refuse to read the Twilight books. I dont know why everyone is obsessed with these books.

Edited by BookJumper
Added capitals and punctuation.

• 1 year later...

I wouldn't be caught reading one of the cheap romance novels where the man and lady on the cover are half-NEKKID and they both look like they have been dipped in a VAT of french-fry grease .

I would be way too embarassed to read one, nor would I want to . YEK .

* I already have enough romance in my life...... :D

* Been married since birth, or it seems like so . Joking about the romance .:giggle2:

• 1 month later...

I do not get on with biographies and autobiographies, because I prefer to read books in the right timeline and they invariably jump around a bit, I also have difficulty with classics because of the writing style, although hopefully I will find one I get on with someday ;)

Chicklits. These books don't appeal to me at all. I don't like how most of these books are about problems with guys or popularity et cetera. That isn't really my kind of book.

Edited by Chiara

I don't read much crime. I don't know why. When I was a kid I was always pretty bored with the genre.. although I did appreciate ms. Marple and Sherlock Holmes and The Five... but those are more... I don't even know. I mean the typical, blood-gushing, horrible murderer type crime novels. Anne Holt and the like.

No idea why. Stubborn, I guess. They were what everyone read when I was young and rebellious, and so I didn't, because I didn't want to be like everyone.

I can't imagine myself reading the Twilight saga. I was almost a fan of Anne Rice's vampire series, liked Stoker's Dracula and the like - so nothing against vampires, but this Twilight hassle and fandom... No, thanks. I just can't get over the hype and, uh, vampires that glitter in the sun and the basic storyline of a girl that has a crush on a vampire but it's oh-so-difficult. Though maybe I should read at least one of the books to see what they're really like, but then again there are so many brilliant sounding books awaiting that I think I'll rather spend my time on those. :)

Haven't read through this whole thread so don't know if anybody else here is the same......I won't read Tolkein and find the whole LOTR thing boring, and any similar modern elf/dwarf/orc copy. Same with CS Lewis , fell asleep during that Lion and Wardrobe film so won't be reading the books. Haven't read Harry Potter yet, I watched two (or maybe 3) of the films , HP got my eldest son into reading back when he was little so I will get around to reading them eventually.

I read many different books, but there's only ONE I started to read and then stopped because it was SOOOOO incredibly boring !!!

It was "Atonement' by Ian McEwan !! I really forced myself to read as much as I can...I read 127 and then I gave up ! Then I watched the film... which was really wonderful laugh.gif

For the first time I prefered the film rather than the book !

This makes my Ian McEwan-loving heart sad! The magic of atonement lies in the final chapters. I know there's probably nothing I can say that will make you want to pick it up again, but when I read the last chapter I actually held my breath. The movie, I felt, missed the point by a fair bit.

This makes my Ian McEwan-loving heart sad! The magic of atonement lies in the final chapters. I know there's probably nothing I can say that will make you want to pick it up again, but when I read the last chapter I actually held my breath. The movie, I felt, missed the point by a fair bit.

Hope it was a short chapter! I imagine you passing out Can you imagine the verdict at the inquest: "Death by Ian McEwan"?

The Cement Garden was a brilliant book (if a little dark), I flew through it in a night a few months ago. I fell into the trap of watching the film of atonement first which was really good but now I can't seem to get round to picking it up off the shelf and read it, as I know the plot. One day maybe :smile: