What do you stubbornly refuse to read, and why?

We don't get it til Jan 2010. I shall have to see if I can source a copy before then.

Last time I spoke to him, he was talking about writing another spin off featuring none other than Aloysius "Black" Knight from Scarecrow. I hope that is one of the ones he has done!!

It was one that he alluded to - he said with all the things going on with somali pirates at the moment it's given him some ideas

• Replies 396
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I stubbornly refuse to read any of the Twilight books. I have seen the film and although it wasn't a bad film it was definitely over hyped. I don't see how the book could be much better.

This is from someone who has not watched the films yet but read the books.

I was one of the few who wasnot bothered about reading the books, but I thought a book that has such different review to the extremes it was a book I had to read.

First off I thought I was going to hate it. I thought it was going to be some silly little love story for teens. I was wrong.

I don't know how well the book was put onto screen, but the book was beautifly wrote. I have know read three of the series and waiting for my fourth to arrive.

For me I had to look it at it as just another book without the hype and without the missconception of it being a lovey dovey book.

If you think you could read it with an open mind I would recommend reading it. Thats coming from someone who really had no view on the book at all.

Thanks for the recommendation :D I think I might try and read them in a few months when I don't feel as strongly about all the hype. I must admit I am slightly curious to see how the characters are portrayed in the novels and perhaps I will appreciate them more after reading.

Thanks for the recommendation :D I think I might try and read them in a few months when I don't feel as strongly about all the hype. I must admit I am slightly curious to see how the characters are portrayed in the novels and perhaps I will appreciate them more after reading.

I will be honest I have been rather reluctant to watch the movies because I don't want to loose the essence of the books.

I do hope you read them and best to read them when you are more open minded? I hope that did not sound harsh I could not think of the right word.

If you do read them please let me know what you thought of them.

Don't worry I know exactly what you mean about being open minded. My problem is that everyone I know at uni. are constantly talking about the novels/films and I think I am suffering from a bit of overexposure. I think if I wait a while before I read them then I might be more open minded.

Anything by Dan Brown. I read The Da Vinci Code for my reading group - that's six hours of my life I'm never going to get back - and I absolutely, definitely, stubbornly refuse to read anything else he's ever written or will ever write.

You don't need to read any of his other work, they're all exactly the same!

I feel very wary of reading any books that attempt to carry on or finish the work on another author, especially an author that was rightly revered (AA Milne, Douglas Adams and Bram Stoker to name a few). Some things perhaps should left well alone.

I hadn't really realised there were so many sequels that were not written by the proper author. :D The only sequel-by-someone-else I think I've read was Peter Pan in Scarlet and that was such a let-down. :D

I wonder what people like Fleming, Adams, Milne etc would think of someone using their original ideas for monetary gain? At least the Peter Pan sequel monies were donated to Great Ormond Street - that makes it seem less wrong, I guess.

I've read the finished book 'Thrones, Dominations' by Dorothy L Sayers and (after the death of DLS) Jill Paton Walsh. It was good, and the textual voice felt authentic. A later book by Jill Paton Walsh used notes and short stories by DLS to create a new Lord Peter Wimsey novel, that was also a good read. So sometimes it can work.

I question the motives of authors who take his route, is it homage to the original author? Is it the money? I just don't know.

I feel very wary of reading any books that attempt to carry on or finish the work on another author, especially an author that was rightly revered (AA Milne, Douglas Adams and Bram Stoker to name a few). Some things perhaps should left well alone.
I'm the owner of a copy of And Another Thing (The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Part 6 of 3) by Eoin Colfer. Though I have not read it yet - I intend to do a full reread of Parts 1 through to 5 before I do - my expectations are pretty high for two reasons:

1. Adams's widow and daughter are huge Colfer fans, have read everything he's written and, though they'd said they'd never authorise a sequel, agreed instantly when Colfer's name was proposed

2. I attended a reading of Part 6 of 3 during HitchCon09, and can confirm that:

a. Colfer is as much of a genuine fan as any of the be-towelled hiker present

b. the chapter he recited was hilarious, and possessed of the right qualities of spirit

/two cents :D.

You don't know how much I hope it is good Bookjumper! Adams had such a distinct voice, to have that lost, muddied or altered would be a travesty.

I AGREE TOTALLY.

I have borrowed all the Eion Colfer books from my brother so I can read his books and get a jist of his reading style before.

I used to say I'd NEVER read autobiographies, but then I read Nuala O'Faolain's, "Are You Somebody?". She's a bit too candid in places, but the reason I always hated autobiogs. is because the person would only dwell on the self-congratulatory, or if they included negative aspects it seemed (to me) only as a way to garner sympathy. Not always the case with everyone, I'm sure, but at least with the few I'd picked up previously. So, it depends on WHO wrote it, whether I'd read it or not.

I got really sick of the Potter hype too, but finally decided to see what all the fuss was about, and borrowed the first 2--(NO problem there, everyone I knew had MOST of the books! :D) And, they weren't bad. I mean, I can see why KIDS like them so much. I might even read the rest of them someday.

I won't read chick-lit., espionage, abuse-memoirs, prequels/sequels made from another authors work, or anything 'gory'.

I really only read any book to enjoy the writing quality, not just to get to the end of the 'story'. Anyone can come up with a 'scenario' that seems brilliant, but if the writing is feeble, I just can't finish the book.

I got really sick of the Potter hype too, but finally decided to see what all the fuss was about, and borrowed the first 2--(NO problem there, everyone I knew had MOST of the books! :D) And, they weren't bad. I mean, I can see why KIDS like them so much. I might even read the rest of them someday.

Oh, they're not just for kids, as the story moves on, they get more mature. You should definitely read the rest, too.:D

I refuse to read Harry Potter! People rave on about it all the time and with all the films coming out with unlike adaptions I don't see the point of even trying to read them. Although my friends swear that I am missing out the best read ever, I doubt that very much though. Try and persuade me otherwise! Hehe!:D

I refuse to read Harry Potter! People rave on about it all the time and with all the films coming out with unlike adaptions I don't see the point of even trying to read them. Although my friends swear that I am missing out the best read ever, I doubt that very much though. Try and persuade me otherwise! Hehe!:smile2:

This is exactly why I read the ones I did. Everybody I knew couldn't stop going on about how good they were!! And I was just as adamant as you before that, believe me!! (If not more so!)