Religious-themed books - what do you think?

KW

Not sure if "themed" is the correct term, but books that have an emphasis of religion in them, what's your opinion? Like the DaVinci Code and whatnot...feel free to name the title of particular books that agreed/disagreed with you based on the religious tone. I'm curious if the theme matters to you as a reader...:D

For me it depends on the story - how integral is the religious theme to the plot and how well written is the story? How is religion handled within the book? Is it positive? Is it negative? Ambivalent? Is it in any way bigoted other than to portray the bigotry of a character which is integral to the plot?

I've read quite a few books with a religious theme or sub-plot - come have been OK, some have been excellent, others have been utter rubbish. The best ones were the ones that were ambiguous and took an unusual approach to the religious content. For example, The Messenger by Andrew Shipley has a very original plot with religious undertones, yet the lead character is not religious at all - his attitude to what is happening plays a major role in the proceedings.

This is a really good question. I'll probably have something more to add later, it's really getting rather late and it's been a long day for me (plus my head is full of my thesis)... But in general, I would say that I'm open to religion having a part in the book, and I'm open to the themes that come with that and the discussions and issues that arise. That being said, I have noticed, that against all reason, I am a bit touchy about Catholic church and beliefs, which is due to my upbringing, clearly. I have rather mixed feelings about the whole issue, as while I did go to Catholic school and all, I also later in life studied philosophy, so I've tried to look at the issue from all angles, in a way.

I think for me personally, religion is okay as long as it's personal. As long as it's about the character and their belief system and not the organization that's being dealt with. I don't really know how to explain this properly, but for example in Complicated Kindness by Miriam Toews, the society where the main character lived was a very religious Mennonite community. Yet, the character was critical to her place in that, she questioned her role, her place and not the "whole". So it while she did feel like she didn't fit in, it was about her not fitting in, not the whole town being terrible and bad and wrong.

But it was a really interesting question, KW! I'll have to think of this some more.

it really depends on how it is handled for me... i would call myself an atheist, as in having no belief in the existence of gods, so i do not willingly subject myself to most religious matter... i did read Da Vinci Code, (altho i preferred Angels and Demons), and i have enjoyed books in fantasy realms, or in ancient history settings, where various gods have their place, also books like Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth, or the likes of the Cadfael, or the Matthew Bartholomew series, where religion is part of the background.. that's as far as i'll go. :D

Edited by grabit

Good question. Like the others have said, it depends on how religion is handled. I like to read about other views, but I don't like to feel as though I'm being preached to.

I remember Life of Pi had a bit of religious discussion at the beginning. I didn't necessarily agree with the character's views, but I found it interesting nevertheless.

On the other hand, I've read about half of the Left Behind series by Tim Lahaye and Jerry B Jenkins. The series deals with the 'end times' and quite literally translates the Book of Revelation (people disappear, the anti-Christ appears, there are plagues etc). It was all this that appealed to me in the first place; I love all that post-Apocalyptic, end-of-the-world stuff. However, I've been really disappointed in the books. I feel that they're quite preachy in places, which is a little off-putting. But that's not my major problem with the series; the worst is that the interesting concept behind the series is very poorly executed.

I've not read many as an adult - Philip Pullman's Northern Lights is the only one I can think of off the top of my head, and I haven't read the final two of the trilogy.

As a child, I read the Narnia Chronicles by CS Lewis and The Land of Far Beyond by Enid Blyton, which is based on The Pilgrim's Progress but I think the religious connotations went over my head!

I noticed yesterday that the Christian shop in Bath are stocking something called The Shack. I thought that was a horror story!

Edited by Janet

I'm a Christian and read a lot of Christian books. Currently I'm reading Ten by J.John, which is about living the 10 Commandments in this century, and it is really good and helpful. I don't think there is anything wrong with Christian books which help build up faith and give practical ways to live the best way in terms of honouring God. I also don't think there is a problem with religion in books, adds something a bit different

it really depends on how it is handled for me... i would call myself an atheist, as in having no belief in the existence of gods, so i do not willingly subject myself to most religious matter... :)

That's me too. If it's part of a good book - great, but I wouldn't be actively seeking out books with religion. Read Narnia books as well, and any religious element passed me by :D

For me I don't think it's different to any other book. Religion exists in the world, like rainbows and torture methods and war and love, and I'm happy to read books which involve all of those. It's nice knowing what other people think. Or...y'know...write about.

A book with religion as its theme has never made me change any of my beliefs (I'm agnostic but was [sort of] brought up Sikh). Not that I've read that many, but a few, certainly.

I don't actively seek out religious books either though...but I rarely actively search out a type of book. I'll read anything, me :D

As someone whose own book was reviewed as the opposite to The God Delusion (I was never sure whether this was a compliment or not!), I have a large collection of religious themed books. Most of them are non fiction although I do have some fiction as well - about the Magdalene laudries for example and that sort of thing.

My non fiction books vary in their scope quite a bit - when I was writing my own book I felt it was important to use information from both academic and esoteric texts, to give a more balanced view. I utlised sources then from both camps - the Conversations with God books for example, and Gnostic texts (The Nag Hammadi texts and the Lost Books of Eden) and of course The Bible (I have a Greek Hebrew study guide which proved invaluable (no, I don't speak Greek or Hebrew!). I also used some of the material from the Alpha course, which I attended as part of my own research.

As far as Dawkins though is concerned, although I found myself agreeing with quite a lot of what he had to say, the one point that I do fundamentally disagree with him on is the assumption that you have to be religious to believe in God. You don't - but you do have to spiritual. There is a very important distinction here - imo. :D

Edited by Talisman

I am a christian and like reading books with religious elements. Being a theologian I have spent years questioning the concept of religion and reading about different religions, so i tend to like textbooks on the subject. Books like The Da Vinci Code which have obvious flaws, while interesting and though provoking are only really a comedy. I do like to read books which focus on the cultural, communal elements of religions to give me more of an idea of how particular religions work, and also creational and apocalyptic books.

My favourite thing to do is to read scientific texts and compare what scientists know about the world/universe and compare it with my own beliefs, or to read theologians and philosophers for the same reason. I don't have a problem with a book denouncing religion or the church etc. It is always interesting to hear people's views.

I don't mind religion in books as long as it isn't preachy. I do have a problem with preachy. Like ii, I am touchy when it comes to Catholicism, it being the religion I was raised in. If it's treated with disrespect, it really offends me, even though I don't even consider myself Christian anymore.

When it comes to fiction books, I can usually detect religious overtones running through the storyline of any book I read. But that's okay as it generally enhances, rather than detracts from the story be setting the tone for the characters, whatever world they inhabit, background stories and so on. Sort of sets the tone for the story's good versus evil battle you find in most fiction books regardless of genre.

For non-fiction, it depends on what I'm reading and why I'm reading something to decide if I object or not. I guess you could term me as an agnostic, but I don't mind religious themes in non-fiction books if that is one of the main factors involved. Like, for instance, Infidel by Ayaan Hirsh Ali - which is an autobiography. As the book is about her experience of being raised as an orthodox Muslim and it's from her point of view, it wouldn't be much of a story without religion. It is in fact, the whole point of the book!

In "real" life, I don't appreciate being preached to (at) or being told I'm going to hell, because I haven't been "saved" or whatever it is that a particular religion preaches. There are some books that have raised my hackles, but that's okay too as the point of reading them, to me at least, is to expose myself to different beliefs, practices, cultures, and issues. I've yet to read a single book that has even so much as affected my morals or belief systems. I may not agree with what one says, and I may even get downright furious with the author and/or the content, but again, I think that's a good thing as how else are we to make informed decisions about anything if not by hearing opposing views about any particular topic or issue?

My parents are Christian, though not the kind who go to Church with any kind of regularity, but they exposed us to different denominations of Christianity as kids while making it clear that questioning what we heard was a good thing. If I don't want to be "told" what to think or believe and a certain book tries to tell what I should be thinking and believing, well then I have the choice to simply not read it don't I? To me it's like watching TV, if you don't approve of what's on, then change the channel or turn it off! I don't think it should ever be up to any one person or group to decide what the rest of use should be exposed to or believe in. That, to me, is why book banning and burning is such a horrible crime! The freedom of speech that we in the Western societies enjoy is most definitely a right I wish all people everywhere had. The world would be a much better place if everyone were allowed to practice freedom of speech without fear of retribution or being stigmatized!

So that's my two cents worth on this thread! :blush:

I think you have put that very well WG and I fully support your sentiments and thoughts on the subject. I am not able to stand up and just say that I don't believe in God, I have never been able to do that. I can't help thinking when I look at the beautiful things in the world "how did this all come about?" On the other hand, with all the wicked things and tragedies that happen that makes me wonder in another way. What are we suppose to deduce from all of that?

The point of this thread is would I read religious-themed books - no I wouldn't, not if that was what it was all about and as you say WG preaching at me, that would turn me off immediately.

Something that always does strike me with amazement is how active believers deal with their grief when they lose someone in really tragic or horrific ways. They seem to be able to forgive the perpetrator(s). I couldn't, I would always want revenge, stark revenge, especially if it involved the people I love. Perhaps that makes me a not very nice person, I dont know.

I think it just makes you human, Supergran.

I personally would be interested in a religious angle in a book, as long as it was, well, logical. I would be put off if things got solved by some "divine intervention", but I would be interested to read about persons faith. If religion and faith and religious elements were used to shortcut the story, I'd be upset. But if their beliefs and spiritual growth is believable, and supports the story and the personality of the characters, I'd read it, and I'd like it. I just don't like those "I took Jesus in my heart and now everything is just sunshine and roses in my life even though things used to suck real bad and I had nothing and had to catch street rats to eat" -turns. You know?

I really enjoy Paulo Coelho's books, for example. And in fact, in The Witch of Portobello he had an interesting bit that has been stuck in my mind ever sense:

Surrendering completely to love, be it human or divine, means giving up everything, including out own well-being or out ability to make decisions.

Coelho has an interesting touch to religion and religious aspects. That particular bit probably stayed with me because it struck home, because it continued with

The truth is that we don't want to be saved in the way God has chosen; we want to keep absolute control over our every step, to be fully conscious of our decisions, to be capable of choosing the object of our devotion.

To get this slightly closer to the original topic, that was written as the thinking of a Catholic priest. But it's pretty universal when you think about it. It's not about any particular belief system, but it does deal with the religious issues. Anyways, this topic made me think of Coelho's books. I guess that's what I wanted to say.

Yes Supergran, I agree that it only makes you human. Well either that or we're both evil! Revenge is exactly what I'd want if someone did something horrible to one of my loved ones. I couldn't, and haven't for that matter, forgiven what's been done to myself and worse, those I love. I know it's supposed to bring you peace when you forgive, but I can't and for me, it's that simple! Don't misunderstand though, accidents are a different matter completely. Be it harsh words spoken by someone upset and hurt, or a fatal car accident, these things happen and no matter how bad the outcome, I would like to thing that give enough time I could forgive. But if you deliberately attack someone I care about, well that's different. Nor can I forgive people who attack the defenseless - the sick, the elderly, children and animals. For them, their is no excuse.

Guess I wouldn't make a very good preacher hey? :blush:

There is no right and wrong with these things. It simply is what it is. We are all human and it is our differences that make us so. No one has ever done anything that nasty to someone I love - a few people maybe giving my partner funny looks when he goes out en femme :blush: - I just stare back and that soon makes them look away, so I don't honestly know how I would react. I always think that forgiveness is not for them anyway, it's for you - as by holding on to stuff you are the only one who really suffers. After all, thinking like this and being bitter doesn't change things. The only thing that does that is changing your own mind. Eckhart Tolle was right when he said that the mind is a disease (or words to that effect).

I don't mind religion in books as long as it isn't preachy. I do have a problem with preachy. Like ii, I am touchy when it comes to Catholicism, it being the religion I was raised in. If it's treated with disrespect, it really offends me, .

My sentiments exactly - I couldn't have put it better myself.