Number 1000

purple95

Many factors contributed to my prolonged absence form the forum these last months, hopefully I can return to your good graces.

Anyway.......

Next week or so I will set down in my favorite reading chair and begin my 1000th book. I have a database of all the books I've read and have been anticipating number 1000 for quite some time. I'm currently at 996.

I'm sure many of you have read several times that amount but this will certainly be a milestone for me.

I'm looking for suggestions as to what my 1000th book should be.

Not being terribly creative at such things, the best ideas I've come up with so far is to find something by one of my favorite authors or something popular right now. I've even considered doing something I almost never do, go out and purchase a nice book as a keepsake of the occasion. Perhaps something mundane as picking at random from my most recent pile of library books setting on the shelf.

Any suggestions would be most welcome.

Cheers,

dan :D

Edited by purple95

I'd be tempted to buy a beautifully-bound version of something classic that is by an author I already like but a book of theirs I haven't already read - something that I'd like to keep as a memento. :D

beef,

A lot of what I read is non-fiction. I have several lifelong interests and hobbies and try to read whatever I can in those areas. These are usually the only books I purchase and add to my library. I seldom, if ever, purchase fiction.

Favorite authors include King, Turtledove, Hemmingway, Steinbeck, Clarke, Oates, and several others. I've recently started reading Cormac McCarthy although only two of his works so far.

My scope is broad and my favorite shelves at the library are marked, "New Books". I just pick out a few that look good and wade in. Some make the cut, some don't.

Cheers,

Hi,

How about something with 1000 in the title ?

For example "Time Out" 1000 books to change your life (you could probably write this though !) or 'The Year 1000; an Englishmans year' by Lacey or even 'A 1000 nudes; a history of erotic photography from 1839 to 1939' by Koetzle !!

Robson

Greetings Robson,

The title aside, a history of erotic photography sounds rather interesting. I like the "1000" in the title suggestion. I'll look into that.

Mrs. purple95 recently brought home a tattered copy of Childhoods End someone was going to throw away or some such silliness. The book is in very poor condition and has obviously served its readers well. A real trooper.

Since A.C. Clarke is one of my favorite authors, and I've not read Childhood's End, I might rescue this book, read it, and give it an honored place on my shelves.

Thanks all for your suggestions, any more? Number 996 will be completed tonight so a decision needs to be made soon. I'm planning a trip to a couple of book stores just to browse and see if anything jumps up demanding to be number 1000.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...