How eclectic is your library

Colin Jacobs

My book buying does not always revolve around fiction, my main weakness is old books normally biological books and old engineering type books. I love the old "Housekeeping" books cook books and Illustrated pre and post war Encyclopedias. Yes my main collection is fiction but I can include sheet music, and magazines too. my nieces and nephews spend ages looking through my library to see what "Uncle Colin has bought this week" My Niece loves the old illustrated encylopedias and prefers learning from these than the internet. Go girl go!

Do you have a particular weakness for a subject?

my tastes in novels vary from romantic novels to crime writers and horrors and autobiographies.

I have various favourite writers of the subjects mentioned

for the romantic novels I choose Jackie collins

for crime writer ian rankin

for horror Stephen King

for autobiographies the writer I just don't mind as long as the book keeps me amused.

:D

My regular fiction consists largely of classics, sci-fi/fantasy, Australian novels, humour and young adults.

I have about half a bookcase full of books on the paranormal, new age, and the occult and a little over half that again with my autobiographies and biographies about The Beatles.

I also have a decent collection of books on gardening, cooking, travel, Australian and UK history, and mosaics.

I have shelves saved especially for faery books, fantasy, books in books and anything about beading and jewellery. I also collect proofs and old books. I am a fan of secondhand bookstores and charity shops so often pick up bargain books, and as a result I now have a huge TBR pile which is housed in my book shed.

Fiction (classics, criminal and romance mostly), some poetry, quite a lot of non-fiction books about history, a few books on gardening (my mom still entertains some hope for my garden so she gives me those), a neat collection of books about economics and finance (work-related) and many cook books. All but the cook books share room. The cook books are in the kitchen of course.

I would have to say my home library is fairly eclectic.

Fiction:

Classics

Contemporary - mainly comprising of - shortlisted books for the Booker, Pulitzer prize winners and some Nobel Prize authors

Australian

American

Children and young adults

Non-Fiction:

Chinese, English 16th Century and Australian History

Autobiographies and Biographies

Music and Film

Cooking, home renovating and gardening

Edited by shelbel

Hmmm. I have a lot of Paganism-related books that make up the majority of my non-fiction tomes. I also have some biogs/autobiogs, but only of people who really interest me such as Michael J Fox, Adam Ant, Anthony Kedis and Eddie Izzard. Sci-fi/fantasy is taken up by the likes of Terry Pratchett, JK Rowling, jasper Fforde and The Edge Chronicles by Paul Stewart and Chris Riddell. Supernatural-based stories are represented by authors such as Kelley Armstrong and Charlaine Harris. Horror by Stephen King, Dean Koonts and James Herbert. Crime fiction is represented by Stuart Macbride and Christopher Brookmyre (who also flies the flag for humour along with Ben Elton).

I alsohave Mount TBR which is filled with many different authors, both classic and contemporary, and represent both home-grown talent and that of those further afield.

As a non fiction writer (mind, body and spirit/religion) I have a large collection of books in both of these genres. I love the Conversations with God series and the works of Eckhart Tolle in particular, but have books on all different aspects of spirituality - books on meditation, on crystals (I am a qualified crystal therapist), Reiki (also do this), spirit guides and all sorts of things.

I also have a large collection of religious books - the complete works of Josephus, a Greek Hebrew Study Bible, the Nag Hammadi and other Gnostic texts etc.

Then there is the 'aternative' history books - Andrew Collins, Henry Lincoln, Lynn Picknett and Clive Prince, Lawrence Gardner, David Rohl and so on. My favourite author in this genre is Graham Phillips - who has written some fabulous stuff over the years - The Moses Legacy, Act of God and so on. I have met Graham several times and he is a really funny man and fascinating to talk to, since he is so knowledgeable on so many things.

I also have a large collection of Icelandic Sagas - translated from the original Icelandic/Old Norse of course. These are tales written in the 12th and 13th Centuries about the settlement period of the country, which took place towards the end of the 10th Century. Fascinating stuff with tangled relationships and blood feuds. I will be adding to the collection next year I expect, since I hope to go back for a holiday - I have been five times and my last visit was in 2001.

I do have some fiction books as well though - which I have recently begun to read again, after writing and reading non fiction for so many years, and I find that I really enjoy having something lighter to read. Mind you, a lot of the stuff I like could not be considered all that light, since I prefer the books about life in different countries, with a dark element, women in Islamic countries for example and what it is like for them.

My library is hugely diverse.

I have a lot of history books and non fiction.

I have a ton of romance, mystery, science fiction and fantasy.

I have classics like Jack London, Jane Austen, and Melville.

Not a big fan of women's fiction and my favorite books have happy endings.

I have a fairly wide collection

Historical fiction, (loads)

Classics (loads)

Murder / mystery

Chicklit

Contemporary (lots) (most of Jodi Picoult's)

Cookbooks (loads of different influences - Rick Stein, Gordon Ramsay, Delia, Gary Rhodes, Hugh Fearnley- Whittinstall) Italian, Chinese, Indian, Mrs Beeton (my basic Bible), ) to name but a few.

Sewing, embroidery, Xstitch , knitting (all my passion)

Various non-fiction on nature, dinosaurs, steam trains etc

Several years worth of Good Food, Sewing World.........

Not to mention all of Tiger's collections............

Mine, admittedly is mostly thriller/mystery books, but there are a lot of Jodi Picult & Torey Haden (Colin - have you ever read any of her books? I highly recommend!) & we have a lot of historical fiction & a French/English & a Welsh/English dictionary, a lot of books about Canada & Wales, some cycling & hockey, lots of books about Rome & Roman history, lots of Penguin classics (the OH), some Dylan Thomas & Edgar Allan Poe, a lot of travel industry books, lots & lots of cookbooks (my other passion) & a few other assorted odds & ends

nah, I've read probably 15 of her books (oops, spelled her last name wrong!)http://www.torey-hayden.com/

My personal favourite is Murphy's boy. They're not exactly about the kind of thing you went through but I think you'll see some parallels & that you'll enjoy them.

Amazon.co.uk synopsis of Murphy's Boy:

When special education teacher Torey Hayden first met fifteen year old Kevin, he was barricaded under a table. Desperately afraid of the world around him, he hadn't spoken a word in eight years. He was considered hopeless, incurable, but Hayden refused to believe it, though she realised it might well take a miracle to break through the walls he had built around himself. With unwavering devotion and gentle, patient love, she set out to free him, - and slowly uncovered a shocking violent history and a terrible secret that an unfeeling bureaucracy had simply filed away and forgotten. But she never gave up on this tragic "lost case". For a trapped and frightened boy desperately needed her help - and she knew in her heart she could not rest easy until she had rescued him from the darkness.

Fairly eclectic - the usual mix of fiction (detective / historical/ thrillers / contemporary / classics) I find if I read too much of one thing (3 thrillers in a row) I feel like I've eaten too much junk food & need to eat more healthily for a bit ( a classic a biography)!

I also have a fair amont of non-fiction lots of auto/biographies, history,ecology/politics, football & lots of reference books - I can sit for hours browsing through a Brewers Reference book.