Similarities between JK Rowling and Tolkien

Colin Jacobs

Aha so we must assume that Rowling was a big fan of Tolkien. BTW the book of LOR is much better than the films, the films seem to muddle each chapter up! I am reading the book then watching the DVD after each one and have found it to be a right muddle or should that be muggle.

Just looked at Mugglenet there are loads. Has Rowling commented on this at all?

Edited by Michelle
posts merged, please edit rather than posting in quick succession

Rowling even got the name "Dumbledore" from a poem Tolkien wrote years ago about Tom Bombadil. She was obviously very influenced by him!

I'm glad to hear you're enjoying The Lord of the Rings, Colin! It's my favorite book. :D

This is a bit worrying are there anymore books that are similar?

Well, that's just my opinion, which probably isn't worth much :006: I was making a bit of a generalisation I guess (naughty me). I'm not well-read enough in this genre to really make an informed opinion, but it just seems that some elements of fantasy are universal. I'm probably thinking more broadly rather than specific things like what Echo pointed out.

I don't think I'm making any sense at all now, so I'll stop. :D

I would agree that many epic fantasy books are similar, as often they are based around a quest, with magic, and myths and so on. I think what separates them is the detail of the world in which they are set. Middle Earth couldn't be more different from the English 1950s-ish type world of Harry Potter.