Tess of The D'Urbervilles

Lilywhite

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

I was wondering if anyone was watching the new BBC adaptation of Tess that started airing on Sunday? I saw the first episode and thought it was pretty good. Gemma Arterton's performance was quite vivid and reduced me to tears several times... I haven't actually read the book so I'd be interested to learn how accurate the adaptation is and what others thought of it.

I read an amusing review in the Metro of this (did anyone else catch it?) and then watched it later the same day (I sky plussed it). The article remarked that the first scene with the dancing girls looked as if it were out of America's Next Top Model and the guys were in general were too cleaned up - so not as gritty as the book was, really (and the only previous adaptation I've seen that came on TV several years ago? I was quite young, but remember it vaguely).

I didn't think it was too bad, but Arterton's accent did make me laugh. Still, it's very different to the role I saw her in St. Trinian's, so her difference in character makes me think she could be a good actress.