Do you have to read in order?

Michelle

Do you have to read in order?  

1 member has voted

1. 1. Do you have to read in order?

• I have to get the first book.
    • I'll read anyway.
    • It depends on the series.

if someone says it can be read as a stand-alone story, I'll go ahead & read it. If it's not, I'll sometimes try it anyway, but I just know it's not giong to be the same as if I'd read the others first. However, if it turns out to be reallly good regardless, I'll go back & read the reast of them. If I'm having trouble with it but it seems like it's good, I'll out it aside, read the earlier ones & get back to it.

I always like to start at the beginning, nothing worse for me than when there is a common thread running through a series and you jump into the middle of it.

It really depends on the series, I've jumped in halfway through before, loved the book then backtracked to the first one before working my way through the series in order.

I unknowingly did this a lot of times! (Before I came here of course) Actually if I know it is a book from a series - I would try to buy the first book first.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Not only do I have to read a series in order, but I also like to read an author's books in order of writing as well. Perhaps a bit anoracky I know but i think authors develop their styles as they write and you can see this in the writing. Sometimes if you read a most recent book and then go back to the first you can see the difference. Also I feel a lot of authors do tend to reuse characters from previous books, even if they are only a background character, and I like being able to say to myself, oh he/she was in such and such a book. I know its sad, but its all part of the reading experience for me.

Hi

No nothing specific, I read a wide range. I love thrillers, although they can get a bit formulaic at times. I like Martina Cole, Dan Brown (and similar to the majority prefer his other books, and not DVC), Lindsey Davis, Colin Forbes, Nicci French. I also enjoy chick lit for holiday reading -Jill Mansell, Belinda Jones, that type of thing. I also love all Lesley Pearse books and have been anorachy and read them all in order!

Claire55 wrote

I read a wide range........ also enjoy chick lit for holiday reading -Jill Mansell,

I too love a wide range and I have to confess that I enjoyed Jill Mansell, Adele Parks, Maeve Binchy and Joanne Harris. Nice light hearted reads for when you don't want to think or analse too much! :D

Definately, sometimes you dont want to think when you are reading but then another time the stimulation is just what you need.

Have only found this site a couple of days ago and cant believe with the amount of reading that I do that it has took me so long - picked up a link on the read it swap it site, so thank you whoever that was from.

As you say, looking round the site you do pick up new author ideas, and I have already written a couple down that I will try.

thanks

Claire

• 2 years later...

I prefer to read books in order but it doesn't always work out that way. I read the first few Martina Cole books out of order but the later ones I did. Lesley Pearse, Tess Gerritsen and Karin Slaughter are some other authors who's book I've read out of order so to speak.

Yes, I have to read in order. I'm currently reading the 3rd (of 4) books in Arthur C Clarke's Rama series. I've read them all in order, although a couple of years apart, so I've been a bit hazy on some of the things that happened in the earlier books.

Some books although part of a series work equally well on their own, while others are best read in order so I guess for me personally it depends on the series. On the whole I do prefer to read books in order, but it's not always necessary.