Kathy Reichs

Guest Anonymous

I discovered Reichs a few years ago, and immediately read the first 5 or so in a row, loved doing it that way. I've enjoyed her series, but the last two have not been up to snuff for me. Well I should not say the last two, I have not read the last one yet. But Cross Bones was [to me at least] disappointing. I feel she should stick to her own territory more.

I'll post about Break No Bones as soon as I get to reading it.

I don't care for the television series.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree, am up to Cross Bones which I thought leapt on the Da Vinci bandwagon and was nowhere near as good as her earlier ones.

Patricia Cornwell is the same for me great start, but last few not as good.

Suppose it must be easy when you make lots of money to care less, and that's what it feels like to me. Luckily there are lots more authors for me to try!

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I found Kathy Reichs when I was living in Ireland & feeling incredibly homesick. I wandered into a book store looking for some comfort & lo & behold found a Thriller (my fave kind of book) wich was set in my neck of the woods (so to speak). I grew up in a little town about 7 hours from Montreal, which by Canadian standards is only a hop-skip-&-a-jump away. It was just what I needed - the perfect comfort read!

I devoured that book (Deja Dead), then went back for the next in the series. I now wait in anticipation of her new books every time I finish the last (except for Cross Bones - not a great book, but luckily she went back to what she does best). I was in Tesco the other day & discovered that there's a new one out.............can't wait til payday!!!

• 3 weeks later...

I just finished the first two books yesterday. They were 2 in 1 and I luckily found the book at a roadhouse book exchange shelf.

I liked them and really want to read the others (in order), I hope I find more while I'm here in Australia (can't buy normal price books as being a poor backpacker :D )

I read Bones to Ashes by Kathy Reichs recently and have to say i think she is well back on form. Its a great read (i read it in 2 days) and yet again i became totally absorbed in the book and got nothing done!

Thoroughly recommend it but dont start it if you got things to do!:blush:

Bones the TV-series aired here in Finland some years ago and I tried watching it, but it was so boring and I didn't like the characters. Only after that did I find out that the show was based on Kathy Reichs's novels. Last weekend I visited a friend who had read some of her books and she really liked them, almost better than Patricia Cornwell's Scarpetta-novels which I really like. So I have to give these a try :blush: I hope the local library has those books.

I forgot: Thank you Maureen for the list in which order the books should preferably be read :) I just checked out the local library and they have one copy of Deja Dead, goody!

Edited by frankie

The books are far better than the tv show! I look forward to her new books every time I pick up the newest I'm already anticipating what will be her next one & they are far better than Patricia Cornwell, IMHO.

I actually quite enjoy the TV series, I havent read any of Kathy's books though. I guess maybe my opinion may change if I read the books and then compared it to the characters on the show.

Is it important to read the books in the right order?

I love the series Bones - don't think its much like her books tho but its good for an hr of light entertainment. My 12 yr old daughter loves it too. Did u see the first of the new series on thurs? I skyplussed it but havnt had a chance to watch it yet - on here most of my free time! lol:blush:

It's prob better to read her books in order - some of them hav been around for a good while now so they should be easy enough to get. Her books are very similar to Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series so if you like those you'll like Kathy.

I love the series Bones - don't think its much like her books tho but its good for an hr of light entertainment. My 12 yr old daughter loves it too. Did u see the first of the new series on thurs? I skyplussed it but havnt had a chance to watch it yet - on here most of my free time! lol:blush:

It's prob better to read her books in order - some of them hav been around for a good while now so they should be easy enough to get. Her books are very similar to Patricia Cornwell Kay Scarpetta series so if you like those you'll like Kathy.

Yup I am def watching the new series - though a little ahead of the uk...though how I do not dare declare :D

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I must admit to being rather underwhelmed with Kathy's latest 'Devil Bones'. I didn't seem to flow like her previous books did and I found it a struggle to finish. Will give it another go sometime though, as maybe I just wasn't in the right mood for it. Usually, I really enjoy her books and have read them all. This one just didn't seem to click.

I'm a big fan of Kathy Reichs' books, and I have seen 'Bones' a few times. I don't connect the two together, despite knowing that the tv series is supposed to bear some resemblance to Temp and co.

They have taken some components from the books and made them tv'able,

which works pretty well. There would be too much nuance lost if they attempted a straight

book to tv transfer.

I haven't read 'Devil Bones', and although I enjoyed 'Cross Bones' I think I would have preferred had it been a stand alone novel with characters separate from the Temperance series. It felt like an interuption to a flowing series.

I've read all her books so far and have Devil Bones on my TBR pile. :D I think she's one of my fav authors, I don't even read the blurb, just buy the latest book!

I do watch the Bones series too, although I try to think of it as something stand alone from the books and not to get too hung up on it not being completely faithful to them. :D

Guest ProzacKitteh

My Ma LOVES kathy Reichs to bits, but I've just never got on with her for some reason....

Kathy, that is, not my Ma....lol.

I should try her again sometime, maybe I just never catch myself in the right mood.

I like Kathy Reichs and have some of her books, but have to admit I prefer Patricia Cornwell, especially her earlier books, both authors write along a very similar line

I agree with you - I too like Kathy Reichs and have read a few of hers and have even more in my got and waiting to be read pile and she is very similar to Patricia Cornwell. I do think she's a lot more and technical than Patricia Cornwell (that really isn't the right way to describe it but I'm having a word block at the moment :) )

I can't connect the books with the programme at all - in my head, the actors don't fit the characters as I've got them in my head when reading the books. I do enjoy the series but I prefer the books - the series seems a lot 'lighter' than the books too.