How does your partner feel about your reading?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He doesn't mind my reading a lot - it means he doesn't feel guilty about being on the computer - LOL! (And I don't feel I'm neglecting him because he's on the computer!) Actually, we tend to be in the same room anyway, so we can still chat away to each other and are still spending time in each others' company.

That's exactly how me and my BF are :D

He doesn't mind me reading although he's not a reader himself, other than the QI factual type of books. He'll often ask what the book is about, and doesn't mind going book shopping with me or buying me books as presents :)

My now ex boyfriend didn't mind my reading - it meant he could watch a film in peace or go on his x-box without me moaning. At least we were in the same room and could still talk to each other. But he did think I bought too many books, especially as I have quite a few books in my TBR pile - but it didn't stop him from buying me books as presents :D.

My girlfriend does enjoy reading although not as much as me. I would like her to read more and so i bought alot of Tess Gerritsen and Stephen King books that i thought she may like and has started to read more. We both just read Cujo together which definitely seems to have pushed her on quicker than normal to finish a book. So hopefully this strategy works and we can read alot more in the future:)

• 10 months later...

My husband is NOT a book reader at all, but he definitely understands my enjoyment of it.

I'm very lucky compared to some of my friends whose husbands say things like, "Why do you need that book? You already have books at home!!" or start whining one minute and 12 seconds after going into a bookstore to "browse" that they're ready to leave.

Edited by Anika

Dad strongly believes that reading is the worst manner in which one can waste their time (and he has a point...)

Please, please, please don't let anyone make you even consider the thought that you may be wasting your time when you read. How can something which is at once mind-broadening, vocabulary-enhancing, sensibility-deepening, tolerance-teaching, imagination-stretching etc. be a waste of time :lol:? Me, I'll be taking a sheaf out of my ma's book and teaching my future kids that reading is the best thing they could do with their time.

I bet Dad would not (voluntarily) read my book/s if ever they were published (once written), but I will be forcing him
This actually applies to 2/3rds of my own family even though we're all bookish types - my dad opines I should learn the meaning of the Latin word brevitas (i.e. concision, to-the-pointedness) while my older sister, and I quote, loves my style but hates my plots :irked:!

He... teases me about alphabetising my books and how neatly I line them up on the shelf (he learnt about that when he knocked some of them askew and saw the horrified look on my face)
Come here, you kindred spirit :)!

As for mine own OH, he wasn't brought up a reader, which is a shame as he has a marvellous imagination. He doesn't mind me reading books and endorses the fact that I write them; however he will openly mock the time and effort I spend arranging volumes, ranting and raving about condition, etc.

I am single still at home with the family .they think I read alot because they all hate to read I have been reading alot more lately just have not been happy lately reading helps me.:)

would love to find partner who would love to read

I've just had a further ponder, and considered the following: the previous OH shared my love of reading as well as of other purportedly soul-connecting check-list items, yet he was bad. I'd be lying if I said I wouldn't like for OH to read that tiny bit more for his own amusement, also I would never brook disapproval of my own reading habits; but, that said, I do consider diversity in such matters a plus.

or start whining one minute and 12 seconds after going into a bookstore to "browse", that they're ready to leave.

Because my partner reads, we often enjoy browsing through bookstores together, but because I tend to browse more extensively, he is usually finished before me. However, he doesn't mind because he will just sit or stand around reading one of his books, or he will wander aimlessly and browse, and he has often said that he has found some interesting books that way, so I don't mind taking my time (too much)!

Come here, you kindred spirit :)!

:lol: I would love to see your collection of books, partly because I'd love to see how they're arranged, and partly because I want to sneak a peek at your Beatles collection. :irked:

I would love to see your collection of books, partly because I'd love to see how they're arranged, and partly because I want to sneak a peek at your Beatles collection.
I was going to take pictures to upload to the Show Your Bookshelf thread, so you will gaze upon my collection soon (the fact that I refuse to show it off until its arrangement pleases me 100% should in itself be vividly descriptive :)).

Although, my Beatles books are on the bottom shelf so the bed hides them from view - I'll have to photograph them separately; and in any case, 80% of my Beatles subcollection is at my parents' house in Italy :irked: one always seems to be richer when living at home, therefore collectormania gets to thrive

I think to be honest Coran finds it a bit hard to understand. He has never really read himself - not since school. The only things I ever see him reading are text books on web design and the odd spiritual book. When it comes to reading that is about all we have in common. I have often suggested that he reads some of my books, but he doesn't seem interested.

I think to be honest Coran finds it a bit hard to understand. He has never really read himself - not since school. The only things I ever see him reading are text books on web design and the odd spiritual book. When it comes to reading that is about all we have in common. I have often suggested that he reads some of my books, but he doesn't seem interested.

Maybe he hasn't stumbled upon a book that seems interesting enough. Is he a true friend of computers? Maybe he'd enjoy Jeffery Deaver's The Blue Nowhere, a thriller including computer hackers. Charm's read it, and I remember her being somewhat scared after that :)

My BF doesn't mind my reading at all. He doesn't roll his eyes when I buy yet another book and when I told him I won't be buying any more books this year because I have to save all the money I possibly can, he said he's not going to tolerate this and I need to buy at least some books! He's so sweet, he acts like he's all jealous when I read in bed and curl up with my book but he's joking and it's funny. Before we met he would read some Terry Pratchett novels and Iain (M) Banks's books but not much else.

Since we started dating he sometimes likes the sound of some of the books I've been reading, and he's read the following:

- Mark Haddon: The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night Time

- John Grogan: Marley and Me

- Lee Goldberg: Mr Monk Goes to the Firehouse

- Stephen Fry: Hippopotamus (which I actually haven't read yet, BF wanted to borrow it immediately and I agreed, then wanted to get it back soon so I could read it and had to hurry BF up. When he'd finished it I got it back but didn't feel like reading it anymore and BF was annoyed that I'd made him read it fast :lol: Now everytime I ask him what I should read next he automatically says HIPPOPOTAMUS!!! :irked:

He's probably read some other books that I've recommended as well but I can't remember them right now. Oh and he seemed interested in Karin Slaughter's A Faint Cold Fear as well ;)

Edit: Oh and his Mum's nowadays asking him what I'm reading at the moment and I recommended she should read Jeffery Deaver's The Bone Collector, she went to the library the next day and borrowed the book and started reading it. She thought it was really scary! She does read thrillers herself so I think it was a compliment, I think she liked it :) I've also told my BF to recommend Karin Slaughter's books to her :)

Edited by frankie

My boyfriend is really not a reader, he's read exactly 11 books in the 4 years we've been together and all but 1 were gifts from me. He's read the 5 Hitchhikers books, he really enjoyed the film and so I got them for him for xmas that year, and he really enjoyed them. And he's also read 3 of the NewScientist books on questions/answers from their magazine and he also has 3 of the QI fact books. But when it comes to fiction which I primarily read he's completely uninterested in reading them.

But when it comes to how he is about my reading, he's great. He'll always ask what's happening in my book so I can talk to him about it, and he always encourages me to treat myself to new books, and will often buy me some himself.

My OH reads every once in a while. I think he's easily distracted though, and a book really has to grab his attention immediately for him to continue with it.

He hasn't a problem with my reading, as when I'm curled up with a book of an evening, he can play Xbox and we're both happy!

Mine is not much of a reader other than Computer or music books. He is happy for me to read till the cows come home as he's usually upstairs playing his keyboard:D It works ............

My husband is a reader generally of nonfiction and biographies of classical music composers he enjoys; he gets the London Review of Books and The New York Review of Books regularly and highlights all the books he wants to pick up

My sort-of-boyfriend loves to read, but mostly reads non-fiction. He is horrified by the thought of having children who don't like reading. It's nice when we read the same books and can talk about them; we recently had a long serious in-depth conversation about the hypothetical International Relations that must be in place in the Harry Potter universe (Britain obviously being the central super-power) - it's great!

Come to think of it, all but one of my boyfriend-like-things was into reading. Guess I pick them well :)

I was going to take pictures to upload to the Show Your Bookshelf thread, so you will gaze upon my collection soon (the fact that I refuse to show it off until its arrangement pleases me 100% should in itself be vividly descriptive :D).

Awesome. I look forward to it. :D

- Stephen Fry: Hippopotamus (which I actually haven't read yet, BF wanted to borrow it immediately and I agreed, then wanted to get it back soon so I could read it and had to hurry BF up. When he'd finished it I got it back but didn't feel like reading it anymore and BF was annoyed that I'd made him read it fast :D Now everytime I ask him what I should read next he automatically says HIPPOPOTAMUS!!! :D

:D That's hilarious!

My boyfriend likes to read, but hasn't read for pleasure in years, except sporadically (school takes up all his reading time). He likes that I read, but I find that he uses my reading time as an excuse to talk to me. Not that he needs an excuse, but he figures that when I'm reading it's okay to interrupt me, like I'm not doing anything "important". :D

He likes that I read, but I find that he uses my reading time as an excuse to talk to me. Not that he needs an excuse, but he figures that when I'm reading it's okay to interrupt me, like I'm not doing anything "important". :D

My hubby used to do that but now he's realising that if he wants a logical response, he'll wait till I'm done. And e now apologises if he interupts my reading time. :D