How does your partner feel about your reading?

Wow, bookworm, you're so lucky! My boyfriend understands that I love to read, but he would never change his own habits to accommodate it. He's a fairly impatient person, and if I were to keep him waiting for anything because I was reading, he would have a fit and there would be trouble! :)

Yeah, I'm pretty lucky, but usually only when I'm about to finish a book. Otherwise I'd be eating my dinner cold. =)

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am with bookworm, I also can count on one hand and have fingers left over, to the amount of times I have seen my partner read. And it does not bother him if I read, he just cannot understand how I can just sit and read. Two each his own.

I agree with Louise. Kids are worse. Katie kept hitting me the other day when I was reading and smacking the book away because she wanted attention, which is very cheeky because she spends all her time reading. She sometimes steals my book to look through when I am about to pick it up too. OH loves me reading because he can get on with things on the pc, and he likes reading too, but doesn't read as often as he should. It is good for him to read but he doesn't find the time for it often. I don't think he understands why I am so lost in the book sometimes that I can't hear hime talking to me though.

My OH didn't mind me reading, so long as it didn't get in the way of her TV watching.

I can't read with the telly on so would usually just use the computer or watch her programmes with her. Hollyoaks, Eastenders, Gordon Ramsay, Big Brother, America's Next Top Model, ugh, they never ended.

I'm reading much more since we seperated.

When I get round to looking for the next OH, I'll be staying away from the telly addicts!

My hubby loves to read, but we have very different tastes in books, although there are a few which we have both enjoyed. He prefers non-fiction, whereas I definitely prefer fiction. One of our spare rooms has been converted into 'my' room, where I have about half of my books (the other half are in our living room on a huge bookshelf), and all of my DVDs. However, he was talking about converting our garage into a proper library for me!

There has been talk of having a library in the side room on the top floor of our house, but when it will be got around to I don't know. Mine and the girls bookcases in our bedooms, and the shelves in my room are all full and I am planning on collecting more books for the girls, and I certainly want more. I might have to get rid of some of the older books.

We converted our spare room into a library and it's the best thing we have every done. We can find all our books easily now, and it looks lovely to see them all there in all their papery glory! :D

I am so jealous, wish I could do that.

My fiance loves books like I do- right now there are about 150 boxes of books that he needs to unpack-it's just a little claustrophobic right now but he's doing the best he can in unpacking

• 2 weeks later...

Ha! We don't have any room to convert into a library as we don't have any room to spare. (We live in a pocket hankie sized net loft). My OH is always thinking of ways for me to have a library though. He even talked about heightening the roof space in our miniscule ceiling loft :blush:. I'd give my eye teeth for a library especially one like the Beast shows Belle in Beauty and The Beast.<sigh> I imagine myself sliding around the shelves on those rolling ladders selecting what to read next. For now I own a heavily stacked and groaning four shelved wooden bookcase. And the floorboards sag and complain with what's leftover. :D

My OH is an avid reader, too, but he (bless him) is what I would call a reading snob. He only reads Historical novels & "Literature" & considers what I read to be drivel. We used to have some heated moments about what I read versus what he reads, as he really wishes I would read more of the kind of stuff he likes to read, but we're over that now.

I can just imagine both of you sneaking to the shelves in the middle of the night, replacing the other ones books by your own... Then looking all innocent in the morning...

my husband is the sort of guy who steers me towards book shops when we are out shopping, and just smiles when i see a book sale, and stands back to let me at it! lol... he never minds i buy lots of books.. :) it helps that i no longer work, and can read all day if i want to, while he is at work..

Mine used to read loads (he even worked in a bookshop for a while when he was younger) but sadly he lost his way :). I try to entice him back into reading with getting him books from the library from authors I know he liked or might like but to no avail....

However, he doesn't mind at all my constant reading. That way he can watch whatever he wants on the TV. He just calls me 'loopy' as I read different books in different locations :) (ie one for the bath, one for bed, one for on the go etc). He is amazed though how I manage to read more than one book at a time and not get confused. I tell him its the female gene :) (no offence to our male members of course)!

My bf doesnt read at all! He got The Hobbit for christmas one year, and i tried making him read it, but he got through like, 10 pages and that was it.

He just cant keep his concentration on it.

But he doesnt mind me reading... Unless when he wants my attention and im too busy reading! :)

• 2 months later...

Ha, I never posted on this thread before because I didn't have a partner...but now I do :) He likes reading, but mostly sci-fi. He likes that I read and teases me about alphabetising my books and how neatly I line them up on the shelf (he learnt about that when he knocked some of them askew and saw the horrified look on my face :D).

I think I've already put the fear of god in him about my books though (unintentionally), because he was a little worried last night that he might have lost one of my books. :)