How does your partner feel about your reading?

My husband seems to think I read too much. I don't think there's such a thing as reading too much. So, now I'm curious, do you all have partners who read as much as you do? And if not, do you argue about this? Do you have any good ideas what to do so my husband doesn't feel left out (because I think maybe he does, even if what he says out loud are all other reasons he can think of why I read too much)? I honestly don't think he will start reading more, but in all other ways he's the perfect guy..

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My hubby has just finished reading the first book I've seen him finish in the 8.5 years we've been together. He's been reading it since Xmas last year. He just started another one (much to my surprise!). He's not a reader, although he was as a kid and "fell out of the babit" (how on earth is that possible???!).

He doesn't mind my reading a lot - it means he doesn't feel guilty about being on the computer - LOL! (And I don't feel I'm neglecting him because he's on the computer!) Actually, we tend to be in the same room anyway, so we can still chat away to each other and are still spending time in each others' company.

I'm not reading as much as I used to anyway, as I find my concentration wanders a lot more these days. I've spent the past 3 weeks reading I, Claudius (which I'm very much enjoying) and I still have about 1/4 of the book to go. Pre-pregnancy, I would have been finished in 2-3 dyas max!

Luckily, my BF reads too. We often sit around in the evening just reading, which is awesome!! I'm always recommending books to him but he just smiles and carries on with his collection of Bernard Cornwell books! It is really nice that he likes reading too, although he can't believe how many are on my TBR list and he often tries to prevent me buying more books as I have so many waiting to be read!

Even though my boyfriend likes to read, he hates how distant I get when I really get involved in a book. If I can, I'll read all day long without a break, and he starts to feel neglected. :)

Echo, NOW I get it. When I read I am also very concentrated on what I'm reading. So I guess it's a bit hard to contact me even if I'm in the same room.. I don't know what to do about it though. I guess I just have to tell him to put the hand in my book or something, BEFORE he tries to speak to me.

My boyfriend would usually rather watch telly, and does get a bit crabby if I ignore him too much or read late at night when he's trying to sleep, but he's really enjoyed a few books I've told him to read when I've finished them.

I re-read Goodnight Mr Tom last year and persuaded him to read it and he loved it (he's African and doesn't seem to have read any of the same books as me as a child). Also Red Dragon, Silence of the Lambs and Hannibal, and at the moment I've given him The Shadow of the Wind, and Twilight (Stephanie Meyer), but I don't think he's got very far with either of those.

Anna

I've had both OH that read and those that don't, although I am single at the moment and loving it! It is obviously easier when the other half does read, I never had any complaints ftom my ex who read and we could always discuss new books and suggest good reads which was great. However, my ex who doesn't read used to get very frustrated. On holiday he would love to lay out in the sun and do nothing, but would then get frustrated because I wanted to lay there and read!

My husband loves fantasy/scifi books and lately has been reading one right after the other. He went awhile without reading after he finished the last Harry Potter. He doesn't mind my reading, but it is me who has to take his book away from him at night so he can get enough sleep for work!

My boyfriend reads also, though not quite as much as I do, and not the same kinds of books. He tends to read graphic novels/manga and technical books, though occasionally I'll convince him to dive into a literary work and he'll love it. Otherwise, he is prone to starting a book and finishing it 7 months later. We have a lot of bookmarks at his disposal.

He doesn't find it weird that I read so much, but then again, he spends equal amounts of time playing video/computer games, so I doubt he even notices how many books I finish.

My hubby reads more and faster than I do, so no he doesn't mind at all. I never used to read as much as I do now though (or spend as much as I do now on books)

Edited by Inver

Well, BF spends most of the year away so he really has no say in my reading. And he doesn't get to complain about my book shopping habits as long as he keeps buying music...

Seriously though (I've slept an average of 4 hours the past two night, didn't get in until around 3am last night so I'm a little bit tired, sorry about that) he doesn't mind me reading. He reads too, so he understands. Plus, my reading habits are among the lesser peculiarities, there's much more weird things (according to him) that I do.

I don't have a partner (yet) as I live with my family, however myself and my grandmother both enjoy our reading.

Dad strongly believes that reading is the worst manner in which one can waste their time (and he has a point as I spend a lot of time reading and contributing to forums - not this one specifically but a music related one) whilst Mum watches the Crime & Investigation channel in lie of reading books with a similar theme.

My grandmother is often told off for reading too much, the folks reckon nothing gets done when she does but at her age, she should not have to look after seven St. Bernards along with the rest of our rather large semi-suburban menagerie. :)

I bet Dad would not (voluntarily) read my book/s if ever they were published (once written), but I will be forcing him to given the amount of time that I have devoted to the family's animals.

In the ten years I've been with my boyfriend, I can probably count on one hand how many books I've seen him read. Sometimes I wish he read more, but to each his own. At least he respects my passion for books. He let me turn our spare bedroom into a library, even though I know he wishes I would just sell half my books. He's also sat quite for hours in the car while I was finishing a book and even last night he held off dinner and kept it warm so I could finish a book I was reading. I love him for that!! =)

Wow, bookworm, you're so lucky! My boyfriend understands that I love to read, but he would never change his own habits to accommodate it. He's a fairly impatient person, and if I were to keep him waiting for anything because I was reading, he would have a fit and there would be trouble! :)