What defines your reading speed?

I read every word and suppose I am fairly slow I like to emmerse myself with the story and often seem to live that character and his or her story especially in first person books. some say they are fast readers how do you define fast reading? some dont read every word I do. I would say i was a plodder and read short books in one or two sittings another way I define my reading speed is the speed I talk that is the best way to define my reading speed, Some readers read several books a week normally i read only one or two. I dont finish one book then pick up another I like to think about the story, what I learnt and mentally review it and Savour the yarn before picking up another book, The only time I dont is if I am reading a trilogy which I treat as one big book. I love epics which takes me a month to read. When I am in the mood I love to get my teeth into a good long book. :friends0:

I used to read a whole lot faster than I do at the moment!

I used to average about 120+ books per year which works out at 10 each month or 2.5 each week.

This year, I'll be lucky to hit 60 - LOL!

I've always had quite a high reading speed and understanding/retention of the information, mostly, I think, because I've often had jobs that required that anyway (when you're an actor you have to learn those lines as quickly as possible and be able to take in changes to the script at the drop of a hat! I also do a lot of reading as part of my job working for the Chief Executive of our local Council - it all comes in handy!). Partially, though, it's down to the fact that I've never tended to watch much TV - the time that any other person would spend glued to the goggle box is time I would spend reading instead. So, if you're reading for several hours each day, I guess you get through more books than if you were just reading for one hour or less.

when you add it up like you have I guess I am a bit of a bookworm too. I now have one of those automatic page turners when I get the shakes too much to read the words and sometimes it is not the most comfortable way to read, thus If I have a bad spell I wont read as much. since I got a daylight bulb I dont tire when reading so much. a heavy Sci Fi novel or Stephen Hawkings books slow me down but something Like HP or Wodehouse can be read a bit quicker as they are "Fast action books" Oh!! reading speed is so hard to define:censored:

I've always thought of myself a a relatively slow reader, but I'm speeding up the more I practice.

I had my first ever 'speed reading' experience the other day. I had 120 pages of a book still to read for a book discussion group, and only 2 hours to go before the meeting started. No problem at all for some people, but I had to make a concious effort to read faster in order to get it done.

I think I'm a fairly slow reader. I often have trouble focusing on the book and find myself re-reading an awful lot of sentences. It's very frustrating. Then again, sometimes the pages fly by and I can read quite a lot in one go - it probably depends on how much I'm enjoying the book and how 'easy' it is to read. I average 1 book per week.

Roland - Half of a yellow Sun took me FOREVER to get evenhalf-way through and I never bothered finishing it as I hated it so much.

I take longer with books I'mnot enjoying so much and tend to be able to read faster when I'm enjoying them as I'm so desperate to find out what happens next, but the length of the book is also a factor on time, as is other committments and how I'm feeling generally - if I'm tired or ill I'm less likely to have the concentration required.

It depends on what I'm reading, as to how fast I will read it. I tend to read detective stories really quickly, but other books I will savour and take my time over. The Historian, by Elizabeth Kostova too me ages to read (and to be honest, it was a bit of a relief when I reached the end of it). On average, I read a book every five days.

I've slowed down this year- we've had an awful lot going on. I'm annoyed- this time last year I'd read about 40, but now I'm only on my 30th (?).

If I read it long and slow, 9 times out of 10 I'm not enjoying it so therefore I don't want to read it too much, so eventually I abandon it. However, sometimes, it's because I'm reading a big, 500+ book (e.g. Harry Potter 4-7) or you need to read every word to follow it (like Jurassic Park), or just simply because I'm tired, busy, etc.

However, if I'm under a week reading a book it means I'm thoroughly enjoying it.

:blush:

B)

It's not really that impressive (or is that 'eek' saying that I'm too slow? :blush:). I read a lot of young adult fiction and other short books, which balances out the longer books, or the short books that I struggle with and take 2-3 weeks to read.

In fact, I keep track of how many pages I've read so far and I've just worked out that each book I've read this year has had an average of 283 pages.

A few years ago (well, several years ago) when I was still reading books aimed at children and teens that had a larger font, I could read a 100 pages an hour and just read non-stop for hours on end if i wanted and whenever I wanted, but now i've realised that speed really doesn't matter to me, if i want I can still storm through a book at a stupid pace but you just really don't appreciate it as much, little nuances pass you by.

Nowadays I just read at whatever pace the book gives me, it means that it's really rare for me to have to re-read paragraphs or lines because maybe i've been going so fast i've missed a crucial word that without it the para just makes no sense. I think its much better to read at whatever speed the book demands so that you can take it all in rather than setting yourself a set amount of books you want to read.

I'm like Luke. The speed I read at is determined by the type of book I'm reading. I'll generally read non-fiction a lot slower than fiction because there's usually a less obvious "romping" narrative to keep me engrossed, even if I'm fascinated by the subject matter; but also, obviously, at the moment I'm reading a great 1930s Icelandic novel, 600 pages long, fantastic but not something that flies past the eyes whereas if I'm reading, say, a Nick Hornby book I'll finish it in 12 hours. The subject matter, the style of prose, the pull of the narrative, all this defines the speed.

And then there's the question of when I'm reading. If I'm working hard, cycling to work, and my only reading time is when I'm exhausted in bed, I'm just not going to read very fast or very much. If I'm spending ages on daytime air-flights and I have nothing to do but read, then I read much much more and switch off the surrounding distractions, and read much faster.

Guest Tiresias

Obviously, it all depends on the book, but I am generally pretty slow (or careful), averaging about 60 pages per day, which works out to be about 4 or 5 books per month.

I average (or at least aim for) 50 pages per day. It all depends though on the points that Andy mentioned above. Sometimes I'll get through twice as much, or half as much.

Another factor for me to take into consideration is 'V' (the energy drink). This stuff affects me easily and having just finished half a bottle, I'll no doubt find it difficult to focus on my book on the train ride home this evening. :blush:

WHAAAATTT!!!!????

Kylie, Kylie, Kylie .... That goes beyond the call of duty ;)

B) Is my weirdness showing through a little too much? I'll try to tone it down :blush:

I just keep a simple spreadsheet showing when I start and finish each book. Then I thought I'd like to see how many pages I read per year. Add in a couple of sums and hey presto!

It depends on the book, how much I am enjoying it, plus the added bonus of having my glasses (if I can find them:lol:)

Used to be a quick reader, getting through 2-4 books a week (depending on depth of topic). Now, due to a medical hiccup (effects my vision & concentration), if I'm reading I'm lucky to get through one in a fortnight. Audiobooks make it easier and I can do maybe one a week. So fortunate to have this option. Added bonus with audios - I often will 'read' authors I'd never heard of before.

Guest Tiresias
I just keep a simple spreadsheet showing when I start and finish each book. Then I thought I'd like to see how many pages I read per year. Add in a couple of sums and hey presto!

Every time I start a new book I enter the title on my calendar. This is to encourage me to avoid reading droughts whose main cause is... the Internet. And yet, here I am. :blush: