True Life Crime

I've always been fascinated by the Jack the Ripper case and have read quite a few books on that subject. They're the only "true crime" books I've ever really been drawn towards though. Strangely, my research was put to very good use when I played Polly Anne Nichols (one of Jack's victims) in the musical Jack! whilst at college - LOL!

I divided my books up into genres the other week and I now have one crate dedictated to true crime and serial killers. That sort of book was never 'banned' for me as a kid, so I grew up reading about Jack the Ripper and even have conversations with my dad over who'd win a fight between Jeffrey Dahmer and Ted Bundy.

True Crime, True Detective and Master Detecive. The summer specials are out now!

And I say Dahmer - he ate people. Complete fruit-loop. The serial killer's serial killer.

I read a book called something like The World's Most Infamous Murders many moons ago. It had lots of cases in it like The Moors Murders, Lizzy Borden (?), Mary Bell etc, but I think a friend borrowed it years ago and I didn't get it back.

I've read the Holly and Jessica book (written by one of their fathers) - that was so very sad. ;)

• 8 months later...

Two Pulitzer Award-winning real crime books that I can highly recommend:

In Cold Blood by Truman Capote about the murder of an entire family by two ex-cons in the 1950s.

The Executioner's Song by Norman Mailer about murderer Gary Gilmore, who in 1977 became the first person executed in the United States since the reinstitution of the death penalty

Another book, this one about the Manson murders, is also excellent:

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

• 3 months later...

I'm reading Ann Rule's The Stranger Beside Me - The Shocking Inside Story of Serial Killer Ted Bundy and I'd definitely recommend it to anyone who's into true crime stories! Ann Rule was working with Ted Bundy in a Crisis Center before Bundy started his killingspree. Rule is a crimewriter and an ex-cop and she was close to the police force and the investigators of the murder cases let her see the case files and talked about the cases with her, as she was intending to write a book about the murders. Little did she know her ex-colleague and friend Ted from the Crisis Center was behind all of it! The book's really gripping!!

I've always been fascinated by the Jack the Ripper case and have read quite a few books on that subject. They're the only "true crime" books I've ever really been drawn towards though. Strangely, my research was put to very good use when I played Polly Anne Nichols (one of Jack's victims) in the musical Jack! whilst at college - LOL!

I have read Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed by Patricia Cornwell which I found very interesting. She does quite alot of investigating and actually names someone as 'Jack the Ripper'.

• 3 weeks later...

Another book, this one about the Manson murders, is also excellent:

Helter Skelter by Vincent Bugliosi

Definitely recommend the above and The Nightstalker: Life and Crimes of Richard Ramirez by Philip Carlo.

The only other true crime book I've read so far this year is Zodiac by Roberth Graysmith which was very good as well.

The Mad Trapper

I have yet to find a good book on him worth reading, but it always fascinated me. The guy was nuts. Its not an exciting story like Jack the Ripper or anything, but its a good Canadian mystery :lurker:

I have loads of True crime books and Magazines.

I recommend the Fred and Rosemary West books all I have found to be very interesting and brought out many emotions in me. I also found one about HArold Shipman (I can't think of the name at the moment) thats was also very insightful.

The last True crime book I read was the one mentioned in a previous post by Patricia Cornwell - Portrait of a Killer. I thought it was good and gave another perspective on the long debated case but I felt sometimes it went a little too off track for my own liking.

A book I also recommend is a book called Born to Kill. It coinsided with a TV series about the Psychology of Serial Killers and the whole Nature vs nurture debate. Great for people who are interested into the psychology of Crime but don't want all the techinical jargon with it :lol:

• 1 month later...

I like to read about true crimes, which is why I bought a little book about them.

It's called True Crimes by Jon Sutherland and Diane Canwell.

It explains murders and crimes from as far back as 1800's, and how things have changed in crime.

I would recommend this to anybody if you like crimes.

It also features crimes such as Bonnie and Clyde and Jack the ripper.

I have a book which I love re-reading every year on true crime:

True Vampires: Blood sucking killers past and present - Sondra London

That sounds really interesting so I'm adding it to my wish list :lol:

I went through a phase a while back of reading true crime and covered Jack the Ripper, The Yorkshire Ripper, Jeffrey Dahmer, Fred & Rose West....ooooh a few others too but I ended up terrifying myself! :D I was a nervous wreck and became super vigilant when I was out on my own.....in the city centre.....at noon. It was ridiculous!

However, I think I might get myself along to Waterstones to see what they have to offer :lol: When I'm having nightmares, I'll only have myself to blame eh! :D

That sounds really interesting so I'm adding it to my wish list :D

I went through a phase a while back of reading true crime and covered Jack the Ripper, The Yorkshire Ripper, Jeffrey Dahmer, Fred & Rose West....ooooh a few others too but I ended up terrifying myself! :D I was a nervous wreck and became super vigilant when I was out on my own.....in the city centre.....at noon. It was ridiculous!

However, I think I might get myself along to Waterstones to see what they have to offer :lol: When I'm having nightmares, I'll only have myself to blame eh! :D

Good to hear it's on your wishlist :D

I've heard Sondra London is one of those that likes to have 'close' relationships with criminals so she gets the truth out of them which can only be a good thing I guess.

:lol: Yes you can scare yourself if you read too much at once.

I always feel the need to defend the true crime genre because aside from the more salacious titles ( I particularly like the one about cannibalism that includes recipes!) and dodgy gangster biogs there are some damn well-written books. Some of the Mafia books are great including the two by Philip Carlo, David Lane's 'Into The Heart of the Mafia' and Roberto Saviano's 'Gomorrah'. You can't beat Herbert Asbury's 'Gangs of New York/New Orleans/Chicago' and of course Capote's 'In Cold Blood' Charriere's 'Papillon' and Berendt's 'Midnight In The Garden of Good and Evil'...ooh stop me now...

There are a couple of nice hardback books about The Black Museum. The Murders Of The Black Museum - 1870-1970 by Gordon Honeycombe is a fine entry point for true crime readers. It was published back in the early eighties, so I'm not sure if it is still in print.

I've always been fascinated by the Jack the Ripper case and have read quite a few books on that subject. They're the only "true crime" books I've ever really been drawn towards though.

Same here!

The other one that still intrigues me is the Yorkshire Ripper - I think we have two books about him