Classical music

supergran71

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that's great =) it's hard to find many people who appreciate classical music...especially when you're my age. Younger people always seem to view it as 'sad' but alot of it has heaps more talent and meaning than rap, pop etc

I completely agree. I'm 21 and I appreciate classical music much more than rap/pop/R'n'B etc. I would always chose classical music over that!

Well there are the "usual" composers like Beethoven, Mozart, Tchaikovsky, Sibelius, some later composers are Barber, Karl Jenkins

It depends on your personality really Kate. I am fond of piano, violin and the oboe and clarinet. I also like opera and ballet.

The best thing to do is listen to Classic FM as an intro to classical music, then you can decide what you like and listen for the name of the composer and artiste/s performing them.

I always listen to classical radio, and I can get it online, too! I would suggest a good range of composers, like Beethoven, Bach, Mozart, Haydn, Debussy, Stravinsky, Musorgsky, Schubert, Tchaikovsky, and others like that. Just get a couple of classical CD collections, like Greatest Hits or something. Those always have a good selection! :)

1. Do any of you play a musical instrument

No instrument but my Andy (son) plays trumpet

2. Do you like classical music? If so what do you like; do you have a favourite composer; a favourite piece of music, favourite soloist, favourite instrument.

Haven't listened to a lot of opera, mum was a fan though and La Boheme and Madama Butterfly, were ones she used to talk about, and on occasions have heard them.

As for pieces of classical, I love The Four Seasons. There a probably loads more, but like mentioned by others I can never remember the names of them:D

One question....why does a lot of classical make you want to cry??:)

One question....why does a lot of classical make you want to cry??:)

Because it takes hold of your heart and squeezes it. Try listening to the 2nd movement of Barber's violin concerto, or the second movement of Saint-Saens Organ concerto, or Meditation by Thais.

But there is other stuff that makes you want to dance around the room - like Strauss's Blue Danube. I darent drive if that comes on. If I am at home I am whizzing around the room, its fantastic.

Classic Fm - tune in!!

• 2 weeks later...

Give it a go Kate. There are different ones to suit your tastes. Take a look on the proms sections of the BBC website to see what is on offer.

My band is doing a prom in the park next week. Last year we did it in September as a last night of the proms thing, playing all the good stuff. We are still doing the sea songs, fanfares and pomp and circumstance etc but since we got rained off last year (we were on a bandstand but the weather was so bad we were still getting wet), it has been brought forward. I have loads of new and difficult music to practise in time.

• 4 weeks later...

Apologies if this has already been covered, but I would like a recommendation. :)

I am after a compilation of pieces of music that features the piano either solo or as the main event, so to speak. I am after melancholic and/or powerful music which is all about what is imo the most beautiful musical instrument of them all.

Thanks in advance. :)

• 1 month later...
1. Do any of you play a musical instrument (yes I know you do Ice Cream) and if so how good are you and how often do you play; do you play classical, jazz, rock or pop or let's not forget brass band, or any other type of music

The only thing I play is CDs.

2. Do you like classical music?

Yes!

If so what do you like;

Lots! (sorry, it's late, I'll come back to this again another day!).

do you have a favourite composer

I don't really have one, there is too much to like!

a favourite piece of music

Beethoven's Symphony No.3 "Eroica", a brilliant piece of music, especially the first movement. The best recording I have heard is the 1963 recording by Herbert von Karajan and the Berlin Philharmonic.

favourite soloist, favourite instrument

I've got several of Hilary Hahn's albums (she is a violin player, in case you've not heard the name), but I'm not sure I would class her as my favourite soloist

I played violin from I was 7 until I was 18. Then I stopped, I don't really recall why. I have barely touched my violin since, and it's an unforgiving instrument, so if I was to start playing again I would have to start from the beginning.

I liked to play Debussy, Grieg and Bach. Grieg's Solveigs sang is my absolute favourite, both to play and to listen to. If I listen to classical music (it happens, but not that often) I prefer music for strings.

I have a feeling I would like opera, but I have never been to one. That will change maybe in the future.

I play the guitar.

I played it as a teenager, and had not touched one for years.

Then some friends came over with their young son and he asked me if I had a guitar... I did, and promptly retrieved it from the attic.

I thought it was great!

So I went out and bought a nylon-strung classical guitar and began playing again... but this time, no more rock & roll or Led Zeppelin... just classical, baroque and Spanish guitar.

I would show you my videos on Youtube but am not allowed to post links.

I am currently perfecting Isaac Albeniz's "Asturias (Leyenda)". Look it up on Youtube.

I am also working on the more difficult (for me) "Recuerdos de la Alhambra" by the great Francisco Tarrega.

I just picked up a neat and very simple classical piece by the "Brazilian Bach", Heitor Villa Lobos. He wrote it (Etude No. 1) for Andres Segovia as a kind of classical "study", but it sounds really cool and is quite simple to master.

I also play electric bass, used to play Italian mandolin and of course a bit of violin. I attended a music college as a teenager and so was also compelled to learn the piano. The furthest I ever got with the piano was Mozarts "Rondo Alla Turco" (Turkish March). I probably couldn't play it today if I had to.