Acesare*'s 'not really a blog at all' blog

Acesare*

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Reading list

Empress Orchid - Anchee Min (currently reading)

A Big Boy Did it and Ran Away - Christopher Brookmyre

Stormy Weather - Carl Hiassen

Devil in Grey - Graham Masterton

Broken - Kelley Armstrong

(Ok, it's still quite short, but you have to admit it's different!) When those are done, it'll have to be the library

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I'm glad you enjoyed it so much - I read it as one of the Posh Club reading choices & we all rather liked it there - it's such a gentle book that seeps into you - & such a quick read too!

Stormy Weather - Carl Hiaasen

This book is driving me mad! He always refers to the characters by their full names, even if there's on 2 of them there! These are a couple of lines from one paragraph:

"Tony Torres sat in what remain of his living room . . . Tony Torres recalled the party 2 moths earlier . . In the cutthroat world of mobile-home sales, Tony Torres had become a start."

He's sat there on his own, we know his name, you don't have to keep repeating it! :grr:

• 3 weeks later...

Things are getting out of control on the book buying front - I'm going to bankrupt myself really quickly if I keep this up!

I said this on 31st January - kinda ironic isn't it! 4 months I managed, crikey!

Awww. :)

Just watch what you say on 31 January next year!

• 2 weeks later...

Cat Detective - Vicky Halls

I really don't need to write much about this. Everyone on here knows how much I love cats, so any book involving them is enjoyable for me.

Vicky Halls is a cat counsellor, and travels about advising people on behaviour problems with their feline friends. The book includes case studies and practical advice for dealing with problem pussies, and all her books are a 'must read' for cat lovers.

I've had cats my whole life and have several reference books on cats (I like the pictures :motz: ) and this book still gave me an insight into what's been going on with my kitties. They didn't get on, and we didn't realise how much Lex was suffering. I now know why, and what could have been done about it - shame it came a bit late :dunno:

• 5 weeks later...

Broken - Kelley Armstrong

Well, after being introduced to Kelley Armstrong earlier this year by Michelle, I've become a bit of a fan. I really enjoyed the first 5 books in the series, and was really looking forward to reading her 6th, Broken. I wasn't disappointed.

With Elena pregnant, I had worried that the book would have lost some of the pace of the others, expecting that pregnancy would have slowed our werewolf heroine down some. I was please to discover she was just as feisty and strong willed as ever.

There was an extra bonus in this book for me. I used to be quite interested in the whole Jack the Ripper thing (I had to be - my ex was obsessed!) and have read a few books, seen copies of the letters (those thought to be hoax and those thought to be real) and I had some knowledge of the From Hell letter. I was impressed to find that Kelley had stuck to the original legend quite closely (as far as I remember), and only embelished when she brought in the supernatural

Right. I'm a bit lost. I like to read books in the order that I buy them, but I've got so many recently that I've got to get the order straight:

The Secret Purposes - David Baddiel (just in time to miss the reading circle - I'm reading so little at the moment)

Maid of the Mist - Colin Bateman

Turbulant Priests - Colin Bateman

Kathy Lette - Mad Cows

Kathy Lette - Girls' Night Out

The Lovely Bones - Alice Sebold

Tess Gerritsen - Surgeon

Flight form Deathrow - Harry Hill

Black Angel - Graham Masterson

Death Dream - Graham Masterson

Cloud Atlas - David Mitchell

Miracle In The Andes - Nando Parrado

The Stars Tennis Balls - Stephen Fry

It's Different For Girls - Jo Brand

A Long Way Down - Nick Hornby

Sick Puppy & Skin Tight - Carl Hiaasen omnibus

Native Tongue & Striptease - Carl Hiaasen omnibus

Do Androids Dream Of Electric Sheep? - Phillip K Dick

That's like, 18 books in my TBR pile (if you count the omnibuses as 2 each)! And this is the first year I've asked for books for Christmas! What are you people doing to me?!?!? :smile2:

• 3 weeks later...