Acesare*'s 'not really a blog at all' blog

Acesare*

I'd like to clear up a common misconception - I have read books that aren't Stephen King, I own and read books by other authors just as often as a good King book. I do tend to read the same books over and over again because they're like a security blanket or something.

I haven't had a particularly happy life so far. I've suffered with depressions since I was a child, and for that reason (and a number of others I won't go into) I had very little stability in my life for a very long time. The only thing I was able to control was what I read. My books were always there, they never changed, they couldn't hurt me. They were an escape into another world where worse things happened, where I could emerse myself in something familiar.

When even I feel down, unsettled, insecure, etc, I'll go back to an old favourite for comfort - I'm a freak, but that's me.

2006 has started well, and with more confidence, counselling, and a number of internet friends to talk to, I'm feeling better than I have in a long time. In the past 3 weeks I have bought 3 new books, read 3 books I've borrowed, each by new authors to me and 2 of which I have enjoyed. I've located the library and plan to wander down there one weekend to become a member - and I know I will because I really want to!

I knew I loved reading, it looks like I'm finally getting some new material.

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So, I've just finished 'Bitten' by Kelley Armstrong which Michelle lended me (in a desperate attempt to divert me from you know who!). I quite enjoyed it!

I took a while to get into it - I think you have to go through a small mental adjustment when you go from reading a book written in the 3rd person, to one written in the 1st (at least I think I do). Strangely, I felt I was getting annoyed by it, and for that reason, it took me several chapters to get over it and to actually enjoy the book.

This is only the second book I've read about warewolves and the other one was a long time ago, so I was really interested in the whole group dynamic andthe fact that Elena is the only female warewolf. She was such an 'abnormality' in so many ways that she really didn't fit in anywhere, and that's a concept I can identify with.

I was a little disappointed by the ease with wich the big, bad Daniel was dispatched, but that probably is a King comedown - I alway expect that apocalyptic showdown, which is why I was disappointed with the ending of his Dark Tower series.

Anyway, I'll definately be reading more of Kelley Armstrong whether from the library, bought cheaply or borrowed from Michelle.

Dave Pelzer's up next, and I have a feeling this will be a whole other kettle of fish!

They were an escape into another world where worse things happened, where I could emerse myself in something familiar.

Thats how I feel Acesare, escaping into the world of books has saved me many a time from despair over things that have happened in RL.

Some people drink themselves into oblivion, some people take drugs to cope, I lose myself in another world to escape that which I have no control over.

I do tend to read the same books over and over again because they're like a security blanket or something...

...When even I feel down, unsettled, insecure, etc, I'll go back to an old favourite for comfort - I'm a freak, but that's me.

Ditto. It's not so unusual, methinks. It's nice to have something familiar to hand when you're feeling down. It's like if you know what to expect, you can be prepared for anything - it's a bit of a bolster.

But reading new things can be exciting too - and can provide future favourites to reread when the need takes you... :D

• 2 weeks later...

I've finished My Story by Dave Pelzer, and I'll post my thoughts here when I have more time, and I'm getting stuck into Christopher Brookmeyer's 'All Fun and Games until Someone Loses an Eye', which I'm really enjoying so far.

Things are getting out of control on the book buying front - I'm going to bankrupt myself really quickly if I keep this up! Not only have I bought the Pelzer and Brookmeyer, but I also bought a Tony Parsons book from Michelle. Yesterday I was in WH Smiths and bought:

Dumping Hilary? by Paul Reizen (I have one of his at home which I really liked)

and

Koko by Peter Straub.

Then today I'm browsing over the numerous posts I've missed in the last week and was reading over the Kelley Armstrong thread. Having read Bitten and enjoyed it, I ended up poping onto a certain internet bookshop and bought all 5 in the series!

I have some heavy reading to do!

Jo xx

...and I'm getting stuck into Christopher Brookmeyer's 'All Fun and Games until Someone Loses an Eye', which I'm really enjoying so far.

I LOVE this one. It' smy 2nd favourite after The Sacred Art of Stealing. Have you read that one?

For what it's worth Jo, I can relate to your books as security blankets. I used my books to escape my childhood for various reasons and I tend to have a select few that I read over and over in amongst all the others. They always make me feel comforted. Even though I know the storylines of these books like the back of my hand, reading them transports me back to that plane of 'fantasy escape'.

During a recent therapy session, I was taught how to put myself into a 'comfort zone' thus avoiding overreacting in awkward situations. Snuggled in my bed with my comfort blanket and a particular book was my zone and I only have to think of it now and I'm there.

The mind can be a terrible burden sometimes but it also holds some incredible powers. Tapping into those powers is an amazing experience. The fact you can 'fall into' a book, to me, is a gift. Not everybody has that gift. I treasure mine :reading:

Thank you Tash, that's such a lovely sentiment :friends:

...and I'm getting stuck into Christopher Brookmeyer's 'All Fun and Games until Someone Loses an Eye', which I'm really enjoying so far.

I LOVE this one. It' smy 2nd favourite after The Sacred Art of Stealing. Have you read that one?

No, this is my first experience of Brookmeyer and I am enjoying it, although (is this just me?) there seem to be some major coincidences going on!

Jo xx

All will be revealed, Jo - glad you're enjoying it - brfookmyre's a fave of mine. :reading: After telling the world about Kelley Armstrong, he's the next on my list to get folks into.

*clears throat ready to shout*

HEY EVERYBODY, LISTEN UP!

Right, now that I have your attention - you really must all try Christopher Brookmyre - he's fantastic!

Now you can al go about your business. :D

All those Kelley Armstrong books arrived today, so - my current reading list (after AFAGUSLAE)reads:

Tony Parsons - The Family Way

Peter Straud - Koko

Paul Reizen - Dumping Hiliary?

Kelley Armstrong - Stolen

Kelley Armstrong - Dime Store Magic

Kelley Armstrong - Industrial Magic

Kelley Armstrong - Haunted

Tom Sharpe - (when I remember what it's called)

Douglas Adams - Dirk Gentley's Holistic Detective Agency

Looks rather different from my fist list!

Jo xx

All those Kelley Armstrong books arrived today, so - my current reading list (after AFAGUSLAE)reads:

Tom Sharpe - (when I remember what it's called)

Jo xx

Grinchester Grind I believe.

It IS very different! CONGRATULATIONS :reading:

p.s. What the heck is AFAGUSLAE? I am currently drinking decaf, which does not help my mental state!

My Story - Dave Pelzer:

What can I say about this that hasn't been said already? His treatment as a child was horrific - that goes without saying. I was glad (if you can use that word) that the book wasn't as graphic as I had feared, although I couldn't help thinking that we touched only the very tip of the iceburg.

I couldn't feel the kind of anger towards his mother that I've heard expressed by others. In my opinion she was a seriously ill woman and needed help. She was capable of being a loving, caring mother, until suddenly something 'snapped' and she turned on her middle child - poor Dave. I've read a few things about mental illness, and you wouldn't believe what it will make people do.

I couldn't help feeling real despair at how Dave's Dad sat back and let it happen, that he could leave that house and his son to that treatment. That Dave could be so forgiving towards his parents and the neighbours who turned their backs (I must that I hold grudges for far less!) even wen he was a child and living through that hell.

Controversially, I couldn't help myself getting so frustrated that Dave wouldn't (couldn't) speak up! He's standing there with people asking questions an he'd lie, he tried to change his story before the court hearing to let his mother get away with it - almost placing himself back into her hands! I can't understand why I felt that way - I know how it feels to be afraid like that, that feeling of 'better the devil you know' and chosing to live a life I knew was unacceptable - I was 19, more than twice his age . . .

Never mind. I really don't want to go any further down that road - bad dreams and all that.

Anyway, it all turned out well for him and I'm glad. Wish I could get my head out of the past and look to the future like he has.

End of the book was a bit too 'moral' for me and strangely 'Hollywood' for a true story. Glad I read it though - it was a personal challenge that I passed.

Yay me.

My Story - Dave Pelzer:

I can't understand why I felt that way - I know how it feels to be afraid like that, that feeling of 'better the devil you know' and chosing to live a life I knew was unacceptable .

Perhaps you were frustrated at Dave, because now you think and hope and know, that if you were ever in the same position again, you would act differently, and Dave did not.

Good for you Jo!

• 2 weeks later...

Finished AFAGUSLAE over a week ago now, but I'm only just getting the time to write up my thought here!

I really enjoyed it! Fast pace, humour, Scotland - all good! At one point it actually got a little surreal - the book's set in France, and all the Glasgow Celtic fans are migrating south through France to Barcelona for the footie. Where was I while this was actually happening? In France! Bordeux to be exact with my Glasgow Rangers supporting boyfriend and I chatting away to all the Tims!

It was like we were in the book!

Anyway, I will definately be reading more of Christopher Brookmeyer, I think I know someone who has a few!

Moving on, I'm about 3/4 through The Family Way by Tony Parsons now. Good story, excellently written (and the research details are brilliant!) - a little close to home at times, perhaps, but you can't spend you life avoiding things.

I'll probably finish by the weekend and then it's on to more familiar territory with Peter Straub.

Anyway, I will definately be reading more of Christopher Brookmeyer, I think I know someone who has a few!

I can certianly lend you a few if you can't get them from anywhere closer to home. I'll be wanting them back again though - they're in my "regularly re-read" collection - LOL!

Glad you enjoyed it so much. :D

*takes a bow* Thank you!

Finished The Family Way on the bus this morning, so I definately overestimated how much I had left to go! I really enjoyed this book, a story of couples and single women coming to terms with or dealing with so many different issues surrounding pregnancy, child birth and the changes within relationships brought about by having (or not having) kids.

Beautifully written, emotive, tender and even thought provoking, you should read this book if you have kids, plan to have kids, don't have kids or don't want kids. So many stories within one novel. :D

I'll be digging into Koko on the bus home tonight then - it sounds like an interesting book:

'KOKO . . . ' Only four men know what it meant. Vietnam vets. One was a doctor. One was a lawyer. One was a working stiff. One was a writer. All were as different as men can be - yet all were bound eternally together by a single shattering curse.

And now they are joined together again on a quest that could take them from the graveyards and fleshpots of the Far East to the human jungle of New York, hunting an inhuman ghost of the past risen from nightmare darkness ti kill and kill and kill . . .

Sounds like a rip roaring time to me!