Something a bit different...

Kell

I was chatting to Michelle earlier & discovered she's never tried either polenta or gnocci & was wondering if anyhone else had tried these (both are yummy). For those who don't already know, polenta is semolina-based & you cut chunks off it. It's then either fried or grilled or you can boil it, but it turns into a kind of paste that way) & it takes on the flavour of whatever sauce you're using. Gnocci is potato-based & comes in little balls. Both can be used in place of pasta or potatoes for a bit of a change.

Anyone else got anything a little bit different to tell us about?Give us all something new to try & we can perhaps be a bit adventurous!

Gnocchi are great. I have a bit of a problem with polenta because it becomes so unappetising when it's cold. As long as I don't have to deal with cold cooked polenta I'm fine.

One of my favourite grains to cook with is cracked wheat (sometimes called Burghul or Bulgur wheat). Cooking it slowly, with onion and maybe some cinnamon and cumin, it makes great substitute for rice. Or with a bit more spice, and with cubes of cheese in, Bulgur Pilaf becomes a proper meal.

• 2 weeks later...

I've got Tracey on msn messenger here BEGGING me not to answer this question!! :reading:

Oooo she of little faith.......

It's an english dessert Maureen. Kind of suety/spongy with currants in it. Very tasty with custard. :D

See Tracey, I did it without a smirk.....*giggles*

I've got Tracey on msn messenger here BEGGING me not to answer this question!! :reading:

Oooo she of little faith.......

It's an english dessert Maureen. Kind of suety/spongy with currants in it. Very tasty with custard. :D

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: That's funny. Thanks Tash. Am I to understand that it comes in a particular shape? :?

Guest Anonymous
Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter

Oh dear!

I can't think of anything to say to that, LOL

:reading:

http://www.foodtimeline.org/foodpuddings.html#spotted

The first printed evidence of the phrase "spotted dick," as it relates to food, is attributed to Alexis Soyer, the chef of London's illustrious Reform Club, 1849. Why this term? The Oxford English Dictionary confirms an 19th century colloquial use of the word dick' meaning pudding. Spotted is assumed to be alluding to the visual effect created by the raisins or sultanas.

This page also mentions roly poly - my nan used to make both a sweet version, and a savoury one with bacon.. both were yummy! She also made her own meat-pudding, which was gorgeous!

Roll out the mixture to produce a roll approximately 15cm (6 in) long and 5cm (2 in) in diameter

Oh dear!

I can't think of anything to say to that, LOL

:reading:

Hi Darling. I made you a spotted dick for dinner. Hope you have a healthy apetite. It reminds me of when we first met.

Guest Anonymous
Hi Darling. I made you a spotted dick for dinner. Hope you have a healthy apetite. It reminds me of when we first met.

ROFL Maureen!!!

That was TOO funny !!

:good:

You can get rolled spotted dicks (I've had them from the freezer section in supermarkets before), but they never taste quite the same as the pudding bowl shaped ones. My Grom makes the best spotted dick in the world. Haven't had it in donkey's years thogh & I really miss it. I think I shall have to go down to Ashington for a visit & demand she make it for me!

CALENTITA. :reading:

Known as gibraltar's national dish made from chick pea flour, olive oil,water, salt & pepper. Looks like a flat yorkshire pudding if made well,gorgeous hot or cold if not, vile. :eat2:

[i had to get you lot back on track somehow]