Delia's Rich Chocolate Mousse

Serves 2

4 oz plain dessert chocolate(100g)

2 eggs, separated

1 tablespoon rum (or brandy)(optional)

2 heaped teaspoons whipped cream

Grated chocolate and/or chopped toasted nuts

Method

Melt chocolate in a bowl over gently simmering pan of water. When smooth and liquid, take of heat. Beat the egg yolks and add them to the chocolate while it is still hot, beating thoroughly (this cooks the yolks slightly).

Now leave the mixture to cool for about 10-15 mins. Then beat up the egg whites, but not too stiffly, just soft peaks then fold into the chocolate mixture. Spoon into nice glasses, cover each with foil or clingfilm and chill until firm.

When ready to serve make a few holes in top of mousse with a skewer and spoon some rum/brandy over the surface. Top with blob of cream and some grated chocolate or chopped nuts.

For an orange chocolate mousse add the grated zest and juice of half an orange to a 4oz quantitiy of chocolate at the melting stage.

Just double the quantities to serve 4 and you could also just make it in a large serving dish rather than individual glasses if wanted.

It is yummy.:welcome2:

I've used this recipe a couple of times:

Ingredients:

150g mini-marshmallows

50g butter

250g dark chocolate buttons/chunks

60ml hot water

284ml tub double cream

1 tsp vanilla extract

Method:

gently heat marshallows, butter, chocolate and water, stirring. Once melted take the pan off the heat.

Whip the cream and vanilla extract to soft peaks and fold into the chocolate mixture

Chill until set (doesn't take much time as the marshmallows set it very quickly).

It's meant to make 4 or 6 portions, but I'm a greedy mare so it normally serves me and me alone. :welcome2:

That one sounds good Sarah using the marshmallows instead of the eggs to set it.

That was the main reason for trying it to be honest - I wanted a mousse I could serve to a pregnant friend which basically ruled out any of the egg-based ones. It was a very happy find:mrgreen: