The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan

Tinymoz

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I read the first two books.

I loved the first book, finished it in two or three sessions, which is pretty rare for me. For some reason though flashes of Hogwarts kept seeping into the Magicians' Guild when I read it. :woohoo:

I didn't enjoy the second quite as much though, mostly because of:

the ridiculous romance between Sonea and Akkarin.

I hated this particular aspect of the plot so much that I never felt the urge to read the third book.

I didn't enjoy the second quite as much though, mostly because of:

the ridiculous romance between Sonea and Akkarin.

I hated this particular aspect of the plot so much that I never felt the urge to read the third book.

Oh wait, that was the third book wasn't it? In any case I didn't continue with the book after that.

Edited by Michelle
posts merged :)

• 2 months later...

Hello there :D, ive only read the Age of Five trilogy by Trudi and loved them, im sad its ended, i will most probably re-read them soon enough but its never going to be the same not knowing whats going to happen next. :lol: This has resulted in my interest in The black magician trilogy, but im put off with the thought they may be too childlish for my liking since reading Age of Five which was quite a mature story. That said i gladly read books recommended for children and teenagers (ie, phillip pullman, but it did have under currents to the main story which kept me hooked) but i cant quite put my finger on what is stopping me buying this trilogy, especially with the comparisons to Harry potter which i admit am not a fan of....i dont want to miss out of trudi's writing but im worried i may waste my money, hmm... any pursuading welcomed :D

We have a bookring on the go if you want to read the books that way they are out at the moment and I don't know if she has finished them. you can add your name here in this thread. http://www.bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=7044 All 3 books are sent out at the same time so that will keep you going :lol:

Hello there :D, ive only read the Age of Five trilogy by Trudi and loved them, im sad its ended, i will most probably re-read them soon enough but its never going to be the same not knowing whats going to happen next. :lol: This has resulted in my interest in The black magician trilogy, but im put off with the thought they may be too childlish for my liking since reading Age of Five which was quite a mature story.

I read the Black Magician trilogy first and loved it (more than the Age of Five, actually). I don't think there's that much difference between the trilogies, to be honest. The Harry Potter comparison only came about because book 2 deals with the heroine's rough time at school, dealing with bullies (which still isn't like HP anyway!). It must just be the school setting and the use of magic that made people compare it to HP.

I can't recommend these books highly enough - buy them now! If you liked the Age of Five I'm sure you won't be disappointed. :D

Still new to reviews, this is only me second, bare with me guys! Comments on it would be appreciated.

p3788.jpg

The Magicians Guild - Trudi Canavan.

ISBN: 978-1-905654-10-9.

The brief synopsis from back.

After five hundred years of order, the magicians' guild's worst fear had been released - An untrained magician is lose on the streets..

Review

Well, after hearing good things about this book, I was very eager to give it a go. I'm happy to say it didn't disappoint!

The story is centred around a young slum girl, Sonea who is hunted by the magicians guild, for her rogue magic. What makes this book stand out is that it is packed with action. You feel like you are on your own journey with Sonea, and you will her on in her race through the slums away from the magicians that hunt her. The characters and plot are very well written; from the myseterious group that call themselves the Thieves, that know everything and anything that is happening, to Harrin and Cery and the gang of youths that make it there business to stand up and make themselves noticed. Twist and turns are ripe through this book, and this what makes you keep turning the pages to the very end. Be prepared from some very interesting shocks and surprises.

I would recommend this book to fantasy lovers out there, that maybe take an interest in magic and deception. I will be looking forward to reading the sequel, entitled The Novice as soon as I can get hold of it.

10/10 from me, a thrilling read!

Edited by Ben

Sounds good, Ben! I've had the first one on my TBR pile for a while now but haven't yet got round to reading it...

Push it up the list a little. ;) It's well worth it.

I've been looking at this trilogy for a while in my book club and I think you have all now persuaded me into buying it. I do like a good fantasy story to get away from the toils of the real world :)

Ah then you'll love this! I wrote a review a bit further down the page. :)

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Well, it's not exactly great literature or anything, but I really enjoyed the trilogy. I think it depends how much you like the character of Sonea. It's also very much a build-up for the next two books.

I haven't picked up Canavan's latest (that I'm supposed to be reading) for months. I just can't get into it. :lol:

Well, it's not exactly great literature or anything, but I really enjoyed the trilogy.

I think the thing for me is I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I've been lured into reading this by a number of different people who have said it's really good.

So far, though, it just seems to be living up to what I would say is the stereotype for a by-the-numbers fantasy book.

I think the thing for me is I don't read a lot of fantasy, but I've been lured into reading this by a number of different people who have said it's really good.

So far, though, it just seems to be living up to what I would say is the stereotype for a by-the-numbers fantasy book.

I have not read this trilogy but I have read Trudi Canavans other trilogy 'The age of five' and adored them. :irked: :friends0:After reading the age of five I looked to this trilogy but I have to agree it does sound like alot of other fantasy books out there and that has put me off reading them so far even though I loved her other trilogy. I have said I would try the magicians guild first sometime and then attempt them.

I rarely hear anyone speak of the age of five trilogy, I do not know if that is because it is less famous or what but I have heard people who have read both and prefer the age of five. Imo the age of five is not stereotypical at all but then I have not read lots of fantasy myself but just from reading about other fantasy books I have not come across one that is like it yet really.:D

I would say if this trilogy isn't holding you try the age of five which starts with the the 'Priestess of the white' instead. I found it to be more adult fantasy too.