The Black Magician Trilogy - Trudi Canavan

Tinymoz

I won't add the synopsis for all 3 books, I'm sure people can scuttle off and locate these for themselves

I'm not really sure what's expected of a review on here (being a newbie), and I'd hate to spoil the story for anyone so I'll just have a go; I guess you lot will tell me if I'm doing it wrong :smile2:

All three books are well written (I felt the writing improved as the books went on); they're well paced and give you a real sense of engagement with the characters.

The writing, for me, inspired considerable visualisation, I felt part of the book and could almost 'feel' the tension at times, particularily in the 3rd book; to the extent that I did find myself holding my breath at one point!

I wonder if some people may find the storyline, particularily in the 3rd book, quite predicatble in a way, but I felt there was always the underlying 'will they/won't they' right to the end; and my love of the characters kept me reading.

I hope other people enjoy these books as much as I did; they're definitely 'keepies' for me!

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I won't add the synopsis for all 3 books, I'm sure people can scuttle off and locate these for themselves

I'm not really sure what's expected of a review on here (being a newbie), and I'd hate to spoil the story for anyone so I'll just have a go; I guess you lot will tell me if I'm doing it wrong :smile2:

All three books are well written (I felt the writing improved as the books went on); they're well paced and give you a real sense of engagement with the characters.

The writing, for me, inspired considerable visualisation, I felt part of the book and could almost 'feel' the tension at times, particularily in the 3rd book; to the extent that I did find myself holding my breath at one point!

I wonder if some people may find the storyline, particularily in the 3rd book, quite predicatble in a way, but I felt there was always the underlying 'will they/won't they' right to the end; and my love of the characters kept me reading.

I hope other people enjoy these books as much as I did; they're definitely 'keepies' for me!

Nothing wrong with that review Tiny!!

I really like these books, in fact the trilogy made my "top 5" list in the other thread.

I think Sonea is a very down-to-earth, likeable character and the world she lives in is brought to life very well by Canavan.

I agree with you Tinymoz about some moments in the stories being so tense you hold your breath!

Did you know that Canavan is writing more books set in this world? I can't really remember much about what she said, but it's all there on her website. :smile2:

I have read the Preistess trilogy and really enjoyed tose books but that is all I have read of Trudi Canavan. Must look out for more og her books as they are a good :welcome2:.

Heather

Heather, this trilogy is brilliant, highly recommend it, go on, you know you want to :D

I love these books. It's a really well told story from start to finish, although I have to agree about the last book being predictable.

I have the Priestess trilogy on my bookshelf to read as well. Looking forward to starting those ones.

:welcome2: I popped into to my local charity shop on an earned and was told there were new books in so I went to have a look. You'll never believe this it so spooky but they had they had The Black Magician Trilogy all 3 books so I bought them. :D Theres me trying to keep my TBR mountain down don't seem like I'll win :lol:

• 3 weeks later...

I absolutely loved this trilogy! I got them for Christmas a few years ago and read them twice in a fortnight - when I'd finished the trilogy I couldn't get it out of my head so read them again! I've read them 2 or 3 times since then.

I found the Priestess of the White harder to get into, but I only had the first book when I first read it, and reading the three together I got into the story more.

I can't wait for Trudi's new books - but I don't know whether the dates on her website are the Australia possible publishing dates or world - there's no sign of them on pre-order on Amazon yet :D

• 4 weeks later...
Guest radjack
I've been tempted to read these for a while.. after reading the reviews, I'm defiantly interested. (:

I was tempted too, so today i went to one of my local bookstores and bought the first one.

My TBR is slowly growing, and now i fell like i'm part of this community:lol:

My TBR is slowly growing, and now i fell like i'm part of this community:lol:

Growing TBR pile? Yes, now you're definitely one of us...and I'm afraid there's no escaping <evil laughter>

Ok, I've found out that I've got the first one. Got a few books on the go so I'm going to have to wait till ive finished them. Shouldn't take to long. :D

• 2 weeks later...
oooh! I love this series, and I didn't know there were going to be some more written. I have googled and found this:

The Magician's Apprentice - Feb 2009 :lol:

and

The Traitor Spy Trilogy - not yet written :)

Feb 2009? That's awesome! Yippieh! ^^

But:

'Not yet written'? What's that supposed to mean? :lol: I thought it would be released 2010, but if it isn't written yet I don't think it will. =(

• 1 month later...