The Prince

The Republic

Leviathan

Paradise Lost

All Quiet on the Western Front

The Bible

how manly am I?!

• 1 year later...

I confess that I read books because I enjoy reading but always select books that I enjoy. My list of 20 best is rather strange but would include Biggles, Swallows and Amazon, R M Ballatyne, Raphael Sabatini, Baroness Orxcy, Thomas Hardy, Clive Cussler, Ken Follatt. I think my most enjoyable read was a group one with 16 other people studying Othello and each of us taking and reading roles then discussing issues raised. This was absolutely great not one of the students getting less than level b at a level and still meeting to do readings.

Oh Dear - this list seems to contain every single book I've started and not been able to finish!

Still, if reading all of these books makes you a man, then I'm happy to remain a boy if it means not having to read "Catcher in the Rye" again or attempt Catch-22 again

Ian

18 is my already read number. There are several on there I would love to read - especially the Greek classics. I love Greek mythology and my mother is hugely into philosophy, so they are definitely definitely on my list.

I don't think this list is meant exclusively for men. Clearly, things like the Bible and John Steinbeck, Catcher in the Rye, Confederacy of Dunces, Catch-22... these are all fairly gender-neutral books I'd say.

A similar website for girls would be great, though! Maybe that could be the next chat discussion topic... heheh... I'm not entirely joking.

edit: Aw, Ian! Catch-22 is a fantastic book! In my opinion at least ;)

edit2: I'm surprised there is no Douglas Adams on there. In fact, hardly any science fiction at all (if you don't count the pseudo historical dystopic science fictiony stuff like 1984 or Brave New World, which I don't)

Also, isn't there just a huge gaping hole where A Clockwork Orange should have been?

Edited by Hyzenthlay

• 4 weeks later...