Coffee makers.

I am thinking of buying a coffee maker and need to know what to go for. I think it would need to be a grinder, and not too expensive, but as it's a present, not too cheap either. It's more a question of reliable makes, I suppose. Any one have any suggestions or recommendations? I looked for a site that reviews and compares all types and brands, but there doesn't seem to be one. The reviews I came across seem to be for one particular model.

Here's hoping someone, a coffee drinker preferably can give me a few clues! I don't drink coffee, so I am at a loss!

I used to have a machine that I was given when at uni, but it was quite temperamental and I could rarely be bothered to clean it and faff about pulling it to bits and putting it back together. A shame, as the coffee from it was gorgeous.

I've ended up giving it away and getting myself a Senseo. It's not the same as fresh ground coffee, but it only takes a minute (literally!) and there is minimal cleaning to be done on it. Oh yes, and it was only £20 in Makro.

Happy days!

What sort are you looking for - a straight filter-type machine or one that will do all your fancy bits as well?

I love coffee. We have a Bialatti. They are pretty inexpensive and you make the coffee on the stove top. They make the best coffee you will taste anywhere & are a design classic.

We splashed out a tiny bit on a Dualit grinder. It has the advantage of having a proper milling mechanism as opposed to a spinning metal bit, so the coffee gets ground to the right grade.