Plain Truth - Jodi Picoult

supergran71

I've read most of Jodi's books and this one was one of my favourites - and it certainly made me well up. I was certainly left thinking about the Amish way of life - so much simpler, refusing to go along with the modern way of life. A very thought provoking read - as are most of her books

• 9 months later...

I recently finished this book (just before the end of 2008) and so did a search to see people's thoughts on it. Between this thread and another, I noticed that many readers were about to start this book or had it in their TBR pile. Since then, has anyone else finished the book and if so, any thoughts on it? I loved the story and hated seeing it end.

Good review! I'm pretty sure that Plain Truth was the first Jodi Picoult book that I read and I thoroughly enjoyed it as well. It was years ago but I do remember it had me hooked and I really couldn't wait for the conclusion. It wasn't one of my favourites by her but it did make me want to go out and buy more by her.

My favourites are The Pact and Nineteen Minutes.

I, too, liked the story. Picoult always seems to bring out conflicting emotions in me --

For example, with PT, I struggled with Katie and what her "punishment" or lesson should be. I struggled with the ban she placed under for a short time, but I also had trouble with her denials of the pregnancy and child. It's like I went back and forth b/t thinking she'd suffered enough, and that her denial meant she wasn't learning anything from the experience.

I guess this is from the psychological aspect Picoult weaves through so many of her novels.. It always seems to show two conflicting sides, and I usually swap back and forth from one side to the other.

Anyone else have this kind of reaction to her writing?

Anyone else have this kind of reaction to her writing?

Yes, definitely. With Nineteen Minutes, I was torn and switching 'sides' all the way through. But, like you say, I think that's the whole point. I like that about her novels though, the way you can see conflicting sides.

Me, too.. It lets me think for myself rather than presenting the usual good vs. bad. I like how it's not always black and white.. It makes me a more active reader with her books, rather than just an observer, since I have to think so much about the issues I struggle with from the book!

• 4 weeks later...

I actually didn't find Plain Truth as good as some of the others. Although having said that it was a little different to most of Piccoult's other novels so it as a nice change. It's been a while since I read it, but I do remember being surprised by the twist at the end. It was good, maybe I should go back and read it again, after I've finished re-reading Nineteen Minutes

• 2 weeks later...

Ok so now you're all just helping me plan in which order I will read my To Read list:lol:

Ok, so my next book to read is The Pact, then Change of Heart and then Plain Truth.

Great review btw - one of the things I love about JP is how she makes you think. The first book of hers I read was Nineteen Minutes and found it to be very thought provoking and made me challenge a few of my own opinions.