Books to movies...

Kell

I still haven't seen Twilight, but I wasn't especially impressed by the book. Will probably see it at some point though. I thought the P.S I love you film was pretty good, but nothing compared to the book, and they changed so much!

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I still haven't seen Twilight, but I wasn't especially impressed by the book. Will probably see it at some point though. I thought the P.S I love you film was pretty good, but nothing compared to the book, and they changed so much!

Yeah that's why I didn't like it, they changed it too much for my taste, but Gerard Butler was a nice addition as was Jeffrey Dean Morgan :D

They changed a lot! Gerry was actually in it for one thing, and it was set in America (which is the change I was most annoyed about). And there were a few other big changes which I won't mention cause it will give things away

I'm really disappointed that they set the Shopaholic movie in New York instead of London. I didn't like the book, and I probably won't see the movie, but this change seems so unnecessary!

• 4 weeks later...

the point is that ther's no way you can (magically) turn a book into a film. the film will always be...another thing. each has its own peculiar way of being, of dealing with the spectator/reader. they shouldn't be compared as if they belonged to the same category. they don't anyway. the time allotted for each of them is different, the way a film can use lyrics to convey a message which is hidden or implicit in the book. the only point which is shared is the underlying facts, not even the story, because often this is bent to please the viewers. I don't say you can't appreciate a film which is based on a book, I only say go to the theather without expecting to feel what you felt reading, because this will never happen.

Have you ever found a film (or I suppose TV adaptation) as good as the book?

I've never seen a Wuthering Heights to beat the novel. Recently I've read and seen:

Wonder Boys

No Country For Old Men

In both cases the films were more compelling.

With A Passage to India it was the other way round - the film didn't come up to the novel.

I recently bought No Country For Old Men. I saw the film twice, it was amazing. First movie in a long time to have me literally on the edge of my seat, ducking when I didn't want the main character to be seen :smile2:

I'll be disappointed if the book isn't very good :tong:

I've just seen 'Watchmen' and have never seen a film remain as faithful to the source material. The casting was excellent, the script was practically lifted from the novel and a lot of the shots were also taken from images within the novel. Great stuff. I'm not even a fan of graphic novels! Bonkers, innit?!?

Atonement was a freaking amazing adaptation. Sense and Sensibility was good but could have been a little better. And as for Wuthering Heights, the 1939 adaptation was horrible, but they were planning to make a new one, so if this happens, let's hope it will be good

I think there was another similar topic some time ago (Books to movies: http://bookclubforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=5093).

From which I quote myself :

"the point is that ther's no way you can (magically) turn a book into a film. the film will always be...another thing. each has its own peculiar way of being, of dealing with the spectator/reader. they shouldn't be compared as if they belonged to the same category. they don't anyway. the time allotted for each of them is different, the way a film can use lyrics to convey a message which is hidden or implicit in the book. the only point which is shared is the underlying facts, not even the story, because often this is bent to please the viewers. I don't say you can't appreciate a film which is based on a book, I only say go to the theather without expecting to feel what you felt reading, because this will never happen."

• 1 month later...