Books to movies...

Kell

With the fairly recent release of The Other Boleyn Girl (based on the book by Philippa Gregory), I was wondering how many other books that have been popular here are being made into films...

... and it turns out that The Memory Keeper's Daughter (a favourite amongst reading circles everywhere) is now a film, due for release this very month in the USA (although I can't find a date for a UK release yet).

A few others being released this year whose titles I recognised from being mentioned here are:

The Book Thief

Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell

Cirque du Freak (which I will TOTALLY be seeing!)

The Bell Jar

The Twits (which I read as a child and would LOVE to see!)

The Rule of Four (which I will NOT be watching)

This Book Will Save Your Life

Marley and Me

The Time Traverler's Wife (which might be worth a look)

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince

Blindness

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian (which I will not miss!)

Has anyone else heard of any recent or forthcoming releases based on books that have been mentioned here on the forum? (Yes, I know there are countless film adaptations that have already been made, but I'm talking about the newer ones that seem to be coming out in a spate.)

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Couldn't stand TOBG due to the complete lack of historical accuracy but I would pay my last red cent to see The Twits on screen. I love, love, love that book. In actual fact I love it so much I'm be scared but I'll still go to see it, hoping it does the book justice.

JS&MN strikes me as more suitable for a mini-series as it's so long.

If I have trouble sleeping I'll see The Rule of Four.

Thanks for posting the list, Kell. These are the ones I'm interested in seeing:

The Twits would be interesting, but I'm not sure that justice could ever be done to the book. If it was to be animated (Disney-like, not Pixar-like) then maybe it would have a chance.

I would love to see JS&MN and The Bell Jar. And Harry Potter goes without saying.

And these are the ones I'd like to see after I've read the book.

I'm sure there are a few I've heard of that are supposed to be in the works, but I can't for the life of me think of them right now. I'll try and dig them out.

I am looking forward to seeing 'Jonathan Strange and Mr Norrell' and 'The Book Thief'.

Thanks for the list Kell:D

These are all books I've read and would love to see as a movies, except for Blindness, It was such a gruesome book I hated it and I don't think I'd want to see the movie, of course sometimes I can't help myself and have to watch anyways.

Thanks for sharing them Kell ;)

I'd love to see The Other Boleyn Girl, however I'm far too young apparently, as I'm only 12 so I have to wait.:lol: That's a shame, cos the Tudor era-I love it.

• 9 months later...
Cirque du Freak (first in The Saga of Darren Shan) will be released in October this year: LINK.

Ah now that could be interesting! I enjoyed the Saga Of Darren Shan book's, but I can see how these books have a lot of potential to be films. :blush:

oo interesting i best read this book before the film comes out i tend to not want to read books that ive seen the film before, i lack the motivation to finish them. Phillip pullmans books i read before the movie which is good, i still havent seen the film i want to keep my ideas not the movie ideas of what people look like in a way. Books like memoirs of a geisha and lord of the rings i havent been able to get into because ive seen the film first and try guess whats happening next and for some reason am not as excited as i am with books you have no real knowledge of. I like that they are being made tho, its good for people that dont like reading or cant read, they can know of these wonderful stories :blush:

The Time Traveler's Wife (which might be worth a look)

I'll probably go and see this one. I loved the book. I'm not quite sure how they'll make it into a film though. With all the time switches, and character point of view switches. We'll see, I'm not particully hopeful but if they do it well it could be amazing.

I'm a pretty hardcore HP fan so I dislike the films because of all the changes. I still go to see them all though- and have learnt to save my complaining till the end and enjoy it as a film (although even that way they're not great)

The Book Thief

The Time Traverler's Wife (which might be worth a look)

Ok, so, NOOOOOOO! Why do they have to do it?! I hate it when books get turned into movies. Hate it with a passion. :motz:Especially amazing books. I've not actually read The Book Thief (yet) but from what I've heard, it's a pretty great book. And I'm over 300 pages into The Time Traveler's Wife. The film will never live up to it, it's too good! They slaughter decent books with **** representations of the characters and nearly always lose what was special about the book in question. I admit, very rarely, the movie can be better than the book. But to me, that doesn't say a lot about the book. I always have low expectations when it comes to book-to-movie adaptations!

Doesn't anyone else feel this?! :D

:D Sorry everyone. Just a very touchy subject.

I swear to God - if The Book Thief isn't in German with subtitles, I'll crack. It might actually be good in German. With Germans. Not with like, Americans. That won't work, for a multitude of reasons.

It'll be with Americans. Because they'll want to make as much money out of it as possibly. :D I'm annoyed and I haven't even read it yet!

I've got a bad feeling about them making The Book Thief into a film. They could absolutely destroy it.

Agreed, I'm really worried about The Time Traveler's Wife, after hearing they've cut Kimy and Ingrid, I don't really see where they could be going with the story :D

Agreed, I'm really worried about The Time Traveler's Wife, after hearing they've cut Kimy and Ingrid, I don't really see where they could be going with the story :D

They have? Meh, I was doubtful before but now I really am. I'll probably still see it though just to see how it comes out

They have? Meh, I was doubtful before but now I really am. I'll probably still see it though just to see how it comes out

Yeah same, I love the Twilight books, but HATED the film, as with PS I Love You too, so I'm not hopeful tbh. But like you say, I'll watch it just to see, but I don't think I'll like it :D