For One More Day by Mitch Albom

Janet

Great review Janet, I really enjoyed 'five people you meet in heaven', I will keep an eye out for this one too.

:lol:

• 10 months later...

I read this today, and although it was fairly enjoyable, I agree with Janet that it was a bit predictable, and I could see what was going to happen at the end pretty much from the start. However, the biggest problem I had with the book was that if I hadn't read The Five People You Meet In Heaven, I probably would have enjoyed it more as I think this book was too similar in style and theme, and I'm not sure I'd recommend it to anyone who has read the other book.

• 3 months later...

Well, as I said earlier in this section, I would read this book, and in fact, I have just finished it:

for-one-more-day.jpg

Synopsis from Amazon:

'Every family is a ghost story ...' As a child, Charley Benetto was told by his father, 'You can be a mama's boy or a daddy's boy, but you can't be both.' So he chooses his father, only to see him disappear when Charley is on the verge of adolescence. Decades later, Charley is a broken man. His life has been destroyed by alcohol and regret. He loses his job. He leaves his family. He hits rock bottom after discovering he won't be invited to his only daughter's wedding. And he decides to take his own life. Charley makes a midnight ride to his small hometown: his final journey. But as he staggers into his old house, he makes an astonishing discovery. His mother - who died eight years earlier - is there, and welcomes Charley home as if nothing had ever happened. What follows is the one seemingly ordinary day so many of us yearn for: a chance to make good with a lost parent, to explain the family secrets and to seek forgiveness.

This is the first Mitch Albom book I have read, and it has placed him in high stead. This book is very easy to read. It draws you in and pulls on your heart strings a bit. It is engaging and gripping. Yes,predictable but that does not spoil the story.

Albom touches on several issues in this book - divorce, alcoholism and death - all with a good degree of success. He talks about divorce in a time where it was not the done thing, and he examines how the children were pitied and the mother was shunned. He looks at how easy it is to fall into alcohol abuse, and what damage that can cause, and he looks at death - from the reasons behind attempted suicide to dealing with unresolved issues when someone you love dies. It is only a short book but all these issues are dealt with a satisfying and sensitive way.

The story does jump around in time as Charley remembers the past, deals with guilt from always trying to please his father and learns his mother's life story.

This is a touching book. As I said, it is predictable but a lovely book all the same, as Charley gets answers to his questions and deals with his guilt, and ultimately, gets one more day with his dear Mum. This is well worth reading. It is hard to put down and hard to criticise.

9/10

• 9 months later...

'For One More Day' by Mitch Albom

Wow ! What a great read. I have read his previous two books and this is just as good. The basic story is based on a meeting between Mitch Albom and an ex-baseball player Charley 'Chick' Benetto.

'Chick' tells his story to Mitch and he has written his account of what happened in a believable, wonderful way with words. 'Chick' has left his family and has hit rock bottom, no job, ruined his life with alcohol and has no invitation to his daughter's wedding. The only thing he decided to do is take his own life.

He leaves for a last visit to his hometown, which he decides will be his final journey. He makes it to his old house, and there waiting for him is his mother, who died 8 years earlier! It all appears to him as if nothing has happened or changed.

What unfolds throughout the book appears to be an ordinary day and some of us would hanker after: a chance 'for one more day' with a beloved lost parent.

I don't want to say anymore as this would take away the whole, gentle and sensitive read. Mitch Albom has taken all he was told, and papers and notes belonging to 'Chick' and turned them into something special. I was brought nearly to tears on several occasions (maybe not the ideal read for just before Mother's Day, I did this once before when I read 'Five People You Meet in Heaven' just after I lost my mum!) One for you too read and make up your own mind about

5/5

• 2 weeks later...

I read this book last April ands loved it

I truly loved this book and i think it is a modern classic, I have read his other book, The Five People You Will Meet in Heaven and I loved that too. Tis book I found to be very special as it focussed on a man who got the chance to spend one more day with his deceased mother. I found the book truly touching as i think most people would relish the oppurtunity to be able to spend time with a loved one and say things that they never got to say. I think that this is the special appeal about this book. It is a book that i will reread again and again. I found myself thinking about my father who died 10 years ago and i think that is why i found the book truly special as it brought home to me all the things that I never got to tell him

10/10