Audiobooks?

Michelle

It definitely depends on the narrator. Stephen Fry reading anything is wonderful, and I loved listening to audio versions of Jane Austen books by English actresses like Anna Massey and Joanna David. Simon Callow reading P.G. Wodehouse is also a perfect match.

On the other hand, I've been trying to find some of my favourite books on audio books, but I find some of the readers irritating, and don't work at all. Fortunately, being able to listen to a short sample on iTunes means I haven't wasted any money on a book I wouldn't be able to listen to.

I love Austen so I'll check this version out. :D

I agree it's essential to listen to a sample to see if you can enjoy listening to the narrator for the next 10+ hours.

• Replies 166
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I used to buy the Terry Pratchett books, as read by Tony Robinson, and I used to have quite a few science fiction novels on tape as well, but it's not something I've really got into on CD (I've now ditched most of my tapes).

I do have a small collection of the Big Finish Doctor Who audio adventures, but they are full cast dramatisations of original scripts, not audio versions of books (if you like classic Doctor Who, however, I thoroughly recommend them!).

Hi Raven I've been watching Dr Who these last few years, one of the few TV programms I watch, but I've never read the spin off books or listened to the audio versions.

Is there one in particular you would recommend?

Stephen Fry could make a shopping list sound fabulously interesting, which is why at some point I'll listen to him reading the latter HP books, which I could never finish. His The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy is a gem; his loveable lunacy is the same brand as Douglas Adams's so he just delivers the wordplay so well. Stephen Brigg's Good Omens is quite good, though I do maintain that Fry would have done it even better.

i have listened to loads of audio books and it does depend on the narrator and how suitable they are to the book. i have loved some of the full cast dramatisations of some books, like the BBC's Dark Materials trilogy, and the dramatisation of Paul Temple by Francis Durbridge. i did get the first of the Lord of the Rings unabridged 40hrs or so (a few too many) which i didn't enjoy as much. but for those who have never tried to put one on snooze, whilst lying in bed is the closest you can get to reading with your eyes shut ( an ambition of mine)..anyway if your not sure check some out of the library as they do have a good selection and you can save some money as they do tend to be quite expensive.

Hi Raven I've been watching Dr Who these last few years, one of the few TV programms I watch, but I've never read the spin off books or listened to the audio versions.

Is there one in particular you would recommend?

As I said, the CDs I have been buying are full cast dramatisations of original Doctor Who scripts, and they largely feature four of the earlier incarnations of the Doctor (as played by Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McCann).

Of those I can highly recommend the Peter Davison stories Creatures of Beauty and Spare Parts, two very good stores, and also the Sylvester McCoy story The Harvest. There are over 150 stories to choose from though, and I only have half a dozen or so, so I can't really recommend any more than that.

Of the book adaptations they have done of New Who stories, I've only heard The Stone Rose, which was given away free in the Radio Times a few years back, and that's okay.

i have listened to loads of audio books and it does depend on the narrator and how suitable they are to the book. i have loved some of the full cast dramatisations of some books, like the BBC's Dark Materials trilogy, and the dramatization of Paul Temple by Francis Durbridge. i did get the first of the Lord of the Rings unabridged 40hrs or so (a few too many) which i didn't enjoy as much. but for those who have never tried to put one on snooze, whilst lying in bed is the closest you can get to reading with your eyes shut ( an ambition of mine)..anyway if your not sure check some out of the library as they do have a good selection and you can save some money as they do tend to be quite expensive.

I've listened to that version of His Dark Materials the kids who narrate Will and Lyra are fabulous, I did prefer the Unabridged Philip Pullman version but this version too has it's own merits. In particular it's much more accessible to children in introducing them to some of the philosophical questions it raises whilst being quite action packed to keep them hooked.

I'm not currently a member of the Library but I do have a membership with Audible its only

Edited by cosychair

I love books on audio. My schedule can be very hectic at times and because I tend to spend a great deal of time driving hither and yon, my audio's come in handy. When we take trips or are just sick of the radio, they fill the bill. The kids and I get really caught up in them. We've done every HP book and all of Jane Austen's books, Anna Karenina and tons of childrens and young adult books. They make reading more enjoyable.

My son had a hard time reading and one way to help him was to get a book/cd set so he could read along. It gave him confidence and kept him interested.

When I want to read but cant sit still to do it, they are a wonderful substitute. Our local libraries carry hundreds so it makes it easy to use for free.

As has been mentioned, it depends on the narrator - and I do get so annoyed with the way some people read my favourite books! So I have to say I generally prefer books to CDs, although I am currently enjoying listening to 'An Eagle in the Airing Cupboard' by Rex Harper - great to listen to when pottering around doing mundane jobs.

I can't listen in bed, though: I never get past chapter one before I'm asleep!

Love, love, love audiobooks! They make the treadmill or elliptical bearable. As others have noted, a good narrator makes a huge difference. George Guidall is fabulous, as is Barbara Rosenblat, who did all the Elizabeth Peabody mysteries. Those were my first foray into audiobooks (recommended by the librarian, as a matter of fact. Took me a couple years to work my way through all of them, I think.

You can get an idea of what's out there from Recordedbooks site -- then get what you want from your library. That will get you started.

I found a box set of 'Lord of the Rings' on sale, so I took it to work when I had a boring assignment to do (which was supposed to last a week). I'd seen all the movies, but had never read the books. While listening to the tapes I got a new appreciation for this story because the prose is so eloquent. I never realized I would enjoy it so much! :D

As I said, the CDs I have been buying are full cast dramatisations of original Doctor Who scripts, and they largely feature four of the earlier incarnations of the Doctor (as played by Peter Davison, Colin Baker, Sylvester McCoy and Paul McCann).

Of those I can highly recommend the Peter Davison stories Creatures of Beauty and Spare Parts, two very good stores, and also the Sylvester McCoy story The Harvest. There are over 150 stories to choose from though, and I only have half a dozen or so, so I can't really recommend any more than that.

Of the book adaptations they have done of New Who stories, I've only heard The Stone Rose, which was given away free in the Radio Times a few years back, and that's okay.

Just seen you reply thank you for those suggestions I will have a look on audible, I had no idea there was so many!

• 1 month later...

I'm not keen on audi books as I'm a very visual person. Seeing words written on paper stays in my memory longer. Add to that distractions in the tone of voice and or accents. I've tried one audio book and can't remember a thing just noise. I can recall details of books I've read over a decade ago. My 12 year old nephew will listen or read books happily.

Do you have a prefference or are you indifferent to which form books come in?

Edited by Michelle
merged with existing thread - please search for popular topics

I've got to recommed the audio book version of 'Life Of Pi' by Yann Martel to anyone whose enjoyed the book or is curious about either format.

The subtle Indian lilt of the reader's voice is perfectly pitched and demonstrates a keen understanding of the tone of the book.

After I had listened to it in the traditional manner of beginning to end, I found that I typically listening to it in random segments on my I-pod, whilst working. It's the type of story that allows this, since every page offers life-affirming inspiration and fascinating anecdotes.

Awesome stuff.

Seeing words written on paper stays in my memory longer. Add to that distractions in the tone of voice and or accents. I've tried one audio book and can't remember a thing just noise. I can recall details of books I've read over a decade ago.

It's entirely dependent on the source material for me. The first audiobook I bought was a four cassettes long Julie Burchill novel adaptation (the title of which is on the tip of my tongue), and I can recall lines from the audiobook over ten years later. Maybe having read it wouldn't have been as interesting, as I normally struggle to empathize with her concept of "characterization" - she really doesn't write characters who are easy to like.

• 4 months later...

I have to admit that I have never listened to an audio book before and to be honest with you I have no idea why. I do keep meaning to try one out because I'm sure I would probably like it, but for some reason I've always bought the actual books themselves.

Maybe I'll make it my mission to listen to an audio book before the end of the year.

• 6 months later...

Since I have a new car (just thought I'd drop that in there :D) with a CD player I have decided to dust off my old un-listened to (is that a word?) audio books when driving. I am having awful trouble concentrating though, with my mind wandering all over the place. I think I'm going to have to listen to each disc twice. Still, it's not as bad as the time I accidentally listened to an audiobook on shuffle - now that was confusing!

Edited by ~Andrea~

Still, it's not as bad as the time I accidentally listened to an audiobook on shuffle - now that was confusing!

I did that once :friends0: I was ill all I could do was lie in bed listening to stuff I already knew, so I stuck on Martin Freeman reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Part Three of Five: Mostly Harmless; in such a state was I, it took me two entire CDs to figure out the chapters were playing at random...!

Ditto! I was ill too and unable to watch TV or do anything more taxing. It made me laugh when I realised though - and I'm glad I'm not the only one lol.

Have to say I am really starting to enjoy having audiobooks on in the car, and my concentration is getting better. Think I was just having a bad few days!

Ditto! I was ill too and unable to watch TV or do anything more taxing. It made me laugh when I realised though - and I'm glad I'm not the only one lol.

Have to say I am really starting to enjoy having audiobooks on in the car, and my concentration is getting better. Think I was just having a bad few days!

I listen to audio books in the car all the time, the only problem is I am always tempted to carry on driving rather than stopping and going to work :lol:

I did that once :friends0: I was ill all I could do was lie in bed listening to stuff I already knew, so I stuck on Martin Freeman reading The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Part Three of Five: Mostly Harmless; in such a state was I, it took me two entire CDs to figure out the chapters were playing at random...!

AHAHAHAHA. You two are awful! You've really made me giggle :friends0:

I've recently got hold of Hyperion by Dan Simmons and put it on my iPod (Which is my main source of audio for the car now). I know what you guys mean when you say you'll have to listen to them twice (Even without shuffle HEHE :harhar: )

Sometimes it gets hard to concentrate of driving and the story at the same time. I either go into autopilot and drive to work instead of the place I was meant to be going or things suddenly get a bit :drive1:

Edited by Amesy

• 1 year later...

Audiobooks have been a godsend to me and my household! Having a son that is both visually and physically impaired that has a great love of literature, audiobooks have been a great alternative to always physically reading to him. Over the years they have given me time to myself and to attend to my other two children's needs.

I have also found them handy on long road trips and a solace during bouts of insomnia.