Favourites- who are yours?

Not being cruel as I too am a fan but please leave JK Rowling out of this post, otherwise she'll be every other message! lol

Who are your favourite authors in each catagories? Try to only chose one!

Classic/Deceased: Beatrix Potter (although dickens is a close 2nd)

Adult Modern: Val McDermid

Childrens Modern: Jill Murphy (with R.L Stine and Jez Alborough in joint 2nd)

Author of your favourite book: Arthur Golden

Excellent idea for a thread!

Classic/Deceased: Probably Dickens; even though he's overfond of using coincidence as a plot-device, his characters are so funny. I laughed out loud reading The Pickwick Papers on the bus and got some weird looks, but who cares; it was fun!

Adult Modern: Difficult. If I'm in a romantic mood, I'd say Anita Shreve but for sheer style, Donna Tartt, maybe? I would have said Wally Lamb, but I Know This Much is True has a Hollywood ending. Ack! I can't decide!

Childrens Modern: Jacqueline Wilson.

Author of your favourite book: Wally Lamb. I know, I know. An Oprah selection, a Hollywood ending, but...but I choose him. So there!

Classic/Deceased: I'm not a great fan of anything pre-20th century. 20th century classics, perhaps Kafka, or Evelyn Waugh.

Adult Modern: David Mitchell (probably, although Murukami and Kadare and Philip Roth and JG Ballard are all in with shouts)

Childrens Modern: I don't think I know any childrens modern, really.

Author of your favourite book: Changes daily, but today it's Mikhail Bulgakov

Here are mine...

Classic/Deceased: Jane Austen

Adult Modern: Douglas Preson/Lincoln Child

Children's Modern: J.K. Rowling...sorry, she's the only children's author I read, being an adult and all:tong:

Author of your favorite book: J.R.R. Tolkien for The Lord of the Rings

Classic/Deceased:

P. G. Wodehouse - The Jeeves and Wooster books

(Superbly funny and finely written - they always elicit a well-mannered giggle that turns into an unruly guffaw!)

Adult Modern:

Terry Pratchett - The Discworld Series

(The entire Discworld is so superbly realised that you could almost believe it's real, and the characters become old friends in no time at all as you read the books. In over 35 books, there have been only 3 that didn't really cut the mustard for me, and even they weren't bad!)

Childrens Modern:

Astrid Lindgren - Ronia, The Robber's Daughter

(I must have read this book a thousand times and it never ceases to delight me on every level)

Author of your favourite book:

Stephen King - The Stand

(It's a whopper at over 1000 pages, but each and every one of them is a gem. Mr King's finest achievement to date!)

You mean you don't even read C. S. Lewis? Philistines!

I generally don't do kids books at all

I have the Chronicles of Narnia on Mount TBR but not read any since I was eight

So that's a very long time ago and so not recent enough for me to comment

Classic/Deceased: Jane Austen, although there are so many others that I love as well!

Adult Modern: Bill Bryson. After looking back at the books I've read over the last few years, I've noticed that not only do I not read a lot of modern fiction, but the ones I have read haven't impressed me as much as older stuff. So Bill it is!

Childrens Modern: John Marsden (and JK Rowling)

Author of Your Favourite Book: Jane Austen (Pride and Prejudice)

Children's Modern: J.K. Rowling...sorry, she's the only children's author I read, being an adult and all:tong:
Same here!

And I've been an adult longer than children have been children :hissyfit:

You mean you don't even read C. S. Lewis? Philistines!
I generally don't do kids books at all...

I reckon I must just be a big kid at heart then, as I read books aimed at the youth market all the time! :) In fact, I have several on Mount TBR right now that I'm DYING to get to (including one from The Edge Chronicles and also Skulduggery Pleasant), and I have heaps of them on my permanent shelves, most of which have already been reread multiple times as I love them so much!

I quite enjoy childrens book too, Kell. :)

Classic/Deceased: I haven't read much pre-20th Century fiction, but I do love Shakespeare, and he is dead, so I'll say him!

Adult Modern: Emily Barr

Childrens Modern: Philip Pullman

Author of your favourite book: My 'oldest' favourite is Rebecca by Daphne Du Maurier. My new favourite books are either The Kite Runner by Khaled Hosseini or The Book Thief by Markus Zusac.

I read kids' books all the time. Luckily I'm at the age (31) when booksellers think I'm buying them for my own children (which I do not have and never will) so I don't have to feel embarrassed any more.

Classic/Deceased: Jane Austen (pretty much liked all her works except for Emma)

Adult Modern: James Rollins, J. D. Robb/Nora Roberts

Childrens Modern: Brian Jacques (Redwall series) and Garth Nix comes in second.

Author of Your Favourite Book: James Rollins for Amazonia and Emily Bronte for Wuthering Heights

My fav authors would probably be umm...

Lynne Reid Banks (she wrote Harry The Poisonous Centapede)

Phillip Pullman (Northern Lights)

J.R.R Tolkien

;)

Classic/Deceased: Jane Austen & Tolkien

Adult Modern: Stephen King, Freda Warrington, Terry Pratchett

Childrens Modern: Holly Black, Terry Pratchett - Wee Free Men etc.

Author of Your Favourite Book: Jane Austen - Pride & Prejudice, Tolkien - Lord of the Rings

• 2 weeks later...