Book Trailers

kala007

Guest Sedgewick
Welcome to the forum.. this will probably make a good discussion, so I've changed your thread title to reflect it. I've also removed your link, which is probably for your own channel. I'm sure they can be easily found on YouTube. forum

The biggest problem with this idea is that nobody goes to YouTube to find books.

I like the book trailers you get at the end of books now. I know Tess Gerritsen has them as I remember being very intrigued about 'Body Double' before it came out.

It's great to read a chapter, or even a few pages, of the next book in a series or by an author

To me, that's a book trailer and I think they are A Very Good Thing *nods*

Most paperbacks have the 'first chapter of my next book' thing at the end, which can often be intriguing.

I've seen some movie-style book trailers on amazon for BTB's Ravenscar books...my god, the acting was almost as awful as the books, but with flowery dialogue what can you expect? "On the nose" I think they call it in screenwriting circles.

Book trailers should be in book form, and that's that. *crosses her arms and nods*

It's great to read a chapter, or even a few pages, of the next book in a series or by an author

To me, that's a book trailer and I think they are A Very Good Thing *nods*

Book trailers should be in book form, and that's that. *crosses her arms and nods*

Spooky

They can be a great way to publicise your book and get interest, but alsoe expensive to make with copyright costs involved in the use of music in particular, so sadly are out of the league of most self published authors like me.

I do like to have sample chapters of the new book at the end of the one I'm reading.

The only thing that annoys me about it is that I think I have more book to read, but then the story ends sooner than expected as it's pages of trailer and not the current story!

They can be a great way to publicise your book and get interest, but alsoe expensive to make with copyright costs involved in the use of music in particular, so sadly are out of the league of most self published authors like me.

I have two book trailers. I use photographs from istock and have gotten written permission from musicians that I found (or found me) on MySpace. (The two I've asked have been more than willing to let me use their music.)

For electronic books, it's great because it gives someone a quick look at an upcoming book.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, as to prospero and V (sorry, can't be bothered to find out where to get the wavy lines), a 'book trailer' is the short clip at the end of another book. I for one do not like them at all! I feel robbed when someone else decides "that's it, you've read quite enough for now!" as I like to decide myself when I've had enough with something. Especially if I like what I'm reading, I feel robbed and I usually can't wait to find the book in question (it's rarely right there on the self next to the one I already got). And if I don't like it, or am uncertain about it, it still should be my decision when to give up. So all in all, they're just annoying.

It's a bit different with books that films, in my opinion. With a book, you have the blurb at the back, you can take a look inside in the store, maybe even read the first few pages right there. But which video store or movie theatre lets you watch the first five minutes or a movie just to decide if you're going to dish out the money for it or not?? I'm all for having an equivalent of the blurb at the end of another book, just to tell the reader "if you liked this, wait till you get my new book!", but the whole chapter or so? That's just mean!

wow, I didn't know I had so much to say about book trailers. Exactly what is in my coffee?!?