James Patterson - Can anyone advise me?

Just finished reading James Patterson’s 'Kiss the girls'. I did enjoy it and I am interested in reading more of Patterson’s books but I found the bit with Anna Miller and the snake very hard to read. Do any of his other Alex Cross novels contain anything as horrific as this scene? I’d like to avoid those ones. If not I’ll have to develop a strong stomach.

Or maybe someone could recommend an author like Patterson but perhaps a little less sexually sadistic?

I really like his Womens Murder Club series of books. The first few in the series are:

1st to die

2nd chance

3rd degree

4th of July

I think there are 7 in total so far.

This series is not about Alex Cross, it is based around four female main charcters who solve murder cases and they are not at all gruesome.

But i would recommend reading them in the correct order as you will understand the characters better.

Hope that helps!

I know exactly the bit you're talking about with the snake. I read the book years ago and that part has stuck firmly in my memory. I read all his books and I don't remember anything quite as vile in the rest of his books. I would recommend trying to read any of his 'series' books in order though as it will help with your understanding of the characters.

I am currently reading Suzanne's Diary For Nicholas. It is an interesting read. I don't want to spoil anything, but it is about relationships between men and women. I think it has a lot to say to human nature and the way in which people interact, and our high expectations of life. I am only part way through though. I will know more when i finish it, but it certainly looks a good book.

• 3 years later...

I love James Patterson - not that I have met the man lol. I have dipped in and out of his books for the last few years in no particular order, so this year I have decided to read his books in some sort of order so that the character storylines are not lost.

I loved When the Wind Blows and the sequel The Lake House.

At the moment I am working my way through the Alex Cross books – some being re-read to put the story in order. I have finished Along came a Spider and Kiss the Girls, now reading Jack and Jill.

I have been very fortunate with the thanks e-bay to get most of the Alex Cross books in one lot, so I am moving along the bookshelf and my husband keeps commenting that I have another man as James seems to be everywhere with me.

By the rate of his books being published I don’t think I will be running out of reading matter any time soon!

And life after James? Probably Dean Koontz, I have read a few of his, I have recently read the first of his Frankenstein series….worth a look – monster does crime fighting!!

I do like James Patterson books, just finished the 1st womens club last week and really enjoyed it so going to get the rest of them

I have also read 1st to die, I have started to collect them to read, got up to number 5 so still a few to get.

I have kept everybook that James Patteson has wrote, he is one writter that I don't mind reading over and over again

My daughter is getting hooked too, I have to keep putting books back on the book shelf!

She is reading the Alex Cross ones in no particular order, which is how I started - but I am re reading some to start at the very beginning. Has anyone watched the films made from the book, I always find them a let down but I see there will be a new film soon.....what do we think of that I wonder?

I've only read Cross Country and I think that was a huge mistake, as it was so dreadful that it's put me off reading any of his other books. Truly one of the worst novels I've ever read. From what I can gather, it was a gross misuse of the Alex Cross character, and a story that would have been better told with a completely new protagonist. A really bad one for me to start with, I guess (it came free with an e-reader).

• 1 month later...

I've just finished reading 'Private' and although it was a bit predictable I enjoyed it. Now I'm awaiting the second in the series. I've read a few of the Alex Cross novels and enjoyed the earlier books in the series but in the past few years haven't bothered as I feel they've gotten worse. I've just bought 'step on a crack' so will see what this brings.