Supersize v Superskinny

Mia

Does anyone else watch this on Channel 4? I must say, I find it quite fascinating. I never knew there were so many people out there, both fat and thin, that have such serious problems with food.

For those that haven't seen it, they take a seriously underweight person and a seriously overweight person each week and make them swap their normal diets for a few days. The doctor then puts them both on a healthy diet for 9 weeks.

There is another section where a journalist tests different diets/ways of losing weight, which is also quite interesting. She had very good results with hypnosis last night.

Unfortunately, there is also a section with the ghastly Gillian McKeith, who goes around berating people in the street for having large bums. She tests different ways to shrink your bum. Last night's was quite funny - a kind of surf board simulator that worked your muscles as you struggled to stay balanced on it. It got really good results - most of the women lost nearly 2 inches off their bums! The downside was it cost nearly

Yeah, she's funny and down to earth, I like her.

Did you see last night's? I couldn't believe how little that guy ate! How was he still walking around?! Breakfast: a coffee and a cig. Lunch: a scrambled egg sarnie (well, what was left after feeding most of it to the seagulls). Dinner: 4 glasses of orange juice!! :D

And then he said he couldn't put on weight! I wonder why?! Just eat something, please! I would say he seemed to have an eating disorder (especially when he only managed to put on 4lbs after being on the healthy diet for 9 weeks). Shocking.

It's a real eye-opener. My girls watch it and it's nice to have my messages about balanced diet etc re-inforced via the telly and that really there are no alternatives to eating properly.

I can't STAND Gillian McKeith, I get very annoyed about the way she goes on about Brits all having terrible bums (there's nothing wrong with mine, thank you very much! lol), and it also annoys me that she's selling a book or DVD (can't remember which) off the back of it!

That sounds like a really interesting show! The only diet shows (like "Honey, We're Killing the Kids") that are on here in the US are shows about losing weight. I've been on both ends. I used to be seriously underweight, and although now my weight is technically normal, I would still like to lose about 20 pounds. I remember how hard it was for me to gain weight for a while and how unhealthy my attitude toward food was. I wish we had a show like that over here!

Yea I like that programme. I agree the Gillian McKeith bit is a bit naff. I love the diet woman too. She is really funny. Did anyone see the one where she had liposuction on her upper arms in her lunch hour and it went wrong. It was horrible.

A scrambled egg sandwich sounds disgusting... I'm not surprised he threw most of it away!!

Tonight's was a bit annoying, for three reasons. It was two women tonight, trying to lose/put on weight before their weddings.

1) The fat woman annoyed me by not doing what she was supposed to and eating the other person's diet - she refused to eat most of the meals, whilst the thin woman was "playing the game" and eating what she was supposed to. It wasn't fair, and I certainly got the impression that the fat woman had rather a superiority complex.

2) The fat woman (again!) annoyed me by saying that she "didn't want to get married in a size 20, or even a 22 dress", when she was probably at least a size 30 (she weighed 21 stone).

3) After 12 weeks of the "healthy diets", the thin woman had put on weight. The doctor described her as looking "more rounded", filled out and healthy. How much had she put on? A whole 2lbs!!! I'm sorry, but 2lbs does not even show on a person, much less make them look healthier. I'm beginning to wonder about this doctor's credentials, quite frankly. :D

Ooh, I'm a bit wound up about this programme tonight.

1) The fat woman annoyed me by not doing what she was supposed to and eating the other person's diet - she refused to eat most of the meals

She really annoyed me as well, especially when she was spitting the food out at the dinner table and making awful noises in the process, does she not have any manners????

and I certainly got the impression that the fat woman had rather a superiority complex.

I agree, she seemed to be "above" eating takeaways and she knew best. Obviously she doesn't or she wouldn't weigh 21 stone!

Of course, I didn't see it, but maybe the host was just trying to be nice to the skinny girl. It can be really, really hard to gain weight, so maybe he was just trying to encourage her. By telling her that she looked better, she'll be inspired to continue on with the healthier diet.

I would have liked to have seen him say "That might not sound like a lot to the viewers but it's actually good progress" or something then. As an average viewer I feel like it needs some kind of comment. Otherwise or it just sounds a bit rubbish.