Michelle's 2006 Reading Blog (Jan - June)

Michelle

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not getting into Guilty Pleasures as I hoped - I feel like there's too much being thrown at me straight away, trying to work out her rules about vampires, zombies, ghouls etc.

At the same time I started The Queen's Fool, because I simply couldn't stay away... good beginning! :) I think I'm going to be the same as Kell here, and work my way through alot of hers. (Someone kick me and remind me I have a huge pile of TBR upstairs! LOL)

*kick* You have a HUGE pile of TBR's upstairs, Michelle! Not unlike myself - LOL! I'm just about finished TQF, so I'll be starting Blindsighted this evening. After that, I'm heading back to Philippa Gregory & reading The Virgin's Lover - I just can't wait any longer than that to get started on it. opefully by the time I'm done with that, I'll have managed to get hold of a couple more of hers. I quite fancy reading The Constant Princess.

I'm not getting into Guilty Pleasures as I hoped - I feel like there's too much being thrown at me straight away, trying to work out her rules about vampires, zombies, ghouls etc.

Guilty Pleasures wasn't the best of her books, IMO they have got better with each one, I actaully started with number 7 in the series and was so blwon away with it I had to start from the beginning.

Anita certainly does take some getting used to :)

The trouble with Guilty Pleasures (for me, anyhow) is that it doesn't feel like the beginning of a series. I feel like I've jumped in in the middle.. it's not confusing as such but something is off. However, it's holding me enough to want to keep going.

And as much as I'm enjoying The Queens Fool, I found myself drawn back to Host, as it's being talked about!

Strangely enough, I'm quite happy having all 3 books going, and just pick up whichever one I feel in the mood for! :)

• 2 weeks later...

I finished Cell a while back, but didn't realise I hadn't written in this section! I did do a mini review.. it was an enjoyable book, but without Kings usual depth. Both good and disappointing at the same time! lol

Host was quite good - some interesting ideas, and some scenes very well written!

Nikki French's Killing Me Softly was a good story about love, lust and obsession!

Then was The Secret Diary of Anne Boleyn.. a very interesting read after reading The other Boleyn Girl. My interest in British history has truly been sparked now!

Half way through After You'd Gone by Maggie O'Farrell.. I'm not sure what made me pick this up, but I'm glad I did.. very intriguing!

• 2 weeks later...

Our library doesn't seem to have any of the Sookie Stackhouse books at any of their branches - I'm most disappointed. i've asked time & time again, but they seem unable (or unwilling!) to help. Grrrrrr!

It does? I've got the 1st 4 - it's the nextone I'm after - Dead as a Doornail - i've not seen it there. Maybe I missed it... I'll go check.

24/7 was an excellent page-turner, and Dead In Dallas was also really enjoyable.. I love the characters, and have ordered the third one in the library! :D

Now reading Velocity by Koontz, and have just picked up Gravity (Tess Gerritsen) in the library.. I need to find out about the blue gooey stuff! lol

• 2 weeks later...

Velocity was a good story, but I don't think it was one of his best.

Gravity was also enjoyable - the space point of view made it interesting, and I got quite involved with the main characters.

I've also read Club Dead - another good one, but it's time for a little break from Sookie! hehe

Guest Anonymous
Clive Barker - The Hellbound Heart

Not too impressed with this. Gory, but not scarey, superficial.

Perhaps because it was not meant to be scary but a contemporary telling of Faust. Barker's early literary work was writing for theatre and the setting of this novella, a house with few rooms, proves claustrophobic enough for a tale and also sparse enough for stage should it ever be adapted. Which, of course, it was...but for film.

I think there's an expectation on a number of books found within the horror section of stores to be scary when they are solely placed there because of the author's reputation. I don't believe Barker's work is meant to be scary; granted, the earlier stuff uses horror archetypes but Barker is more about the worlds and philosophy than sending a shiver down your spine.

Once again I'm all over the place! I started Tess Gerritsen's 'Body Double', but it wasn't grabbing me. I then moved to Cathy Kelly's 'Someone Like You'. Like the 1st one I read of hers, it started quite slowly, but is picking up nicely now. I'm also reading some Edgar Allan Poe short stories.

However, 'Broken' arrived at the library for me, so I'm reading that.. and I also picked up Graham Masterton's 'Innocent Blood'. Once I pick them up from there, I like to get them read, so 'Someone Like You' may have to wait.

Broken was an ejoyable read, but somehow it wasn't as good as the previous books. I'll wait for a few more people to get it, then we can share views in the Kelley Armstrong thread.

Almost done with Innocent Blood - not quite what I expect from Masterton, I'm still waiting for that unusual twist he provides, but it may not come.

Finally finished Someone Like You - despite being a little slow, it starts well, and ends well, but the middle does lag a little.

With Innocent Blood I couldn't decide if I liked it or not.. it had some good factors, but also parts which made it unbelievable.

• 3 weeks later...

Ooh, I keep forgetting this thread!

I've also read Graham Masterton's 'The Hidden World', which was an interesting idea. However, I couldn't decide if it was a childrens book that was a bit too scarey for children, or an adult's fairy tale. I think it was meant to be the latter...

I'm now in the middle of 'The Historian', which is taking me a while, and 'Dracula'. :D