Michelle's 2006 Reading Blog (Jan - June)

Michelle

This first post will be edited so I can keep a list of my books as I read them, and my brief thoughts.

Dean Koontz - Odd Thomas

I really enjoyed this book, kept me glued. Started strange, picked up speed, great ending. Some great ideas, some sad, touching moments. :Tantrum:

Graham Masterton - Spirit

Started off promising a rather predictable ghost story, but had an interesting slant to it. Better ending than I expected too.

Child of Time

An easy read, but an interesting idea, and it holds you well.

Graham Masterton - Devil In Grey

Another good one, very graphic to start, but with an interesting turn. Believable main character.

Neil Gaiman - American Gods

Gave up on this one, just wasn't grabbing me.

Dean Koontz - Forever Odd

A good follow up, with some more interesting people and ideas from Koontz. Disappointing ending.

Graham Masterton - Famine

Half way, and I may give up. I've kept going, with a hope that it'll improve.. very predictable, does not the usual twists I now expect from Masterton.

Isaac Asimov - Caves Of Steel

Interesting glimpse into a future.. where billions of humans live without real sunshine or fresh air. There were probably lots of in depth stuff that went over my head (haha), I simply enjoyed it as a good read. :D

Kate Mosse - Labyrinth

Oh my goodness - what a great book. The two storylines were great, they combined well, and came to a great conclusion. The characters was believeable and I adored Alais, one of the 2 main characters. had me in tears three times!

JD Robb - Origin In Death

Good story from Robb, but the characters aren't as good as normal.

JD Robb - Memory In Death

Much better.. good story, but more importantly, the 'magic' is back with the characters!

Clive Barker - The Hellbound Heart

Not too impressed with this. Gory, but not scarey, superficial.

Philippa Gregory - The Other Boleyn Girl

A fantastic historical novel, well written and researched.

Laurell K. Hamilton - Guilty Pleasures

I'm afraid I gave up on this too. (I think I'm getting fussy in my old age! lol)

Peter James - Host

Enjoyable book, despite being quite long!

Stephen King - Cell

Very enjoyable book, but lacking the usual depth of character and storyline that King includes.

Nicci French - Killing Me Softly

Interesting storyline, good ending, well written.

Robin Maxwell - The Secret Diary of Annr Boleyn

Written in a very different way to The Other Boleyn Girl, but still a very enjoyable read. Builds up to a good ending.

Maggie O'Farrell - After You'd Gone

Intriguing story, very well written.

Charlaine Harris - Dead Until Dark

A better vampire book, well written, enjoyable, and a page turner.

Jim Brown - 24/7

Great page-turning thriller!

Charlaine Harris - Dead In Dallas

Another enjoyable book, really enjoying the characters.

Dean Koontz - Velocity

An interesting story, but not one of his best.

Tess Gerittsen - Gravity

Setting most of this story in space made it more interesting. Didn't work for me as a 'thriller', but I did get involved in the characters.

Charlaine Harris - Club Dead

This is an enjoyable series, and I love the characters.

Kelley Armstrong - Broken

Enjoyable, but for me, not quite as good as previous books.

Graham Masterton - Innocent Blood

A good idea, but certain points make it less believeable.

Cathy Kelly - Someone Like You

Started well, lags a little in the middle, with a nice ending.

Graham Masterton - The Hidden World

An unusual idea.. an adult fairy tale which will stay with me.

Elizabeth Kostova - The Historian

A long book, which suits long reading sessions, rather than short ones. I'm glad I stayed with it though.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

At the moment I'm about half way through Dean Koontz Odd Thomas.

It started off very strangely, but wanting you to continue. Now the story is building up well, and the bit at the church actually made me feel a bit scared / nervous.

Looking forward to finishing this one.. it's good to find a good Koontz one again.

Odd Thomas was great - interesting new ideas from Koontz, well written story, nice development of characters.. you really started believing in them, and feeling for them.

Started strange (so don;t give up on it!), then picked up speed well. Some creepy/scary moments, some touching, sad ones.

A great offering from Koontz this time. :D

Have you ever read Lightning? It's my favourite Koontz - very well thought out on the theories of time travel & paradox. I loved it!

Its amazing just how many people list this as their favourite Koontz book :D

Whats 'Cloud Atlas' about :?

But you were right, Kell.. it is a strange book! There's a real disturbing undertone to it.

Isn't there, though? It has a very strange, other-worldly quality to it which is quite disconcerting. I think it may be an acquired taste, that book, but it's worth perservering with it, even if, like me, you don't quite get the point of it in the end. :D

Well, the first few pages of Cloud Atlas didn't grab me. I'll give The Tooth Fairy a try tonight, and see if that fairs better. (I often make choices this way!)

I don't think I have ever done that....if they are both new, and I start with one, I think I would continue with it first.

Isn't there, though? It has a very strange, other-worldly quality to it which is quite disconcerting. I think it may be an acquired taste, that book, but it's worth perservering with it, even if, like me, you don't quite get the point of it in the end. :D

I think I spent the whole book waiting for something and then thinking 'oh ok' when it finished lol

I can see how it wouldn't have a particular 'point' or ending. It's just the story of some boys growing up... and it going kinda wrong!

I was wondering whether this is an 'entity', or just his imagination.. but the incident in the church at midnight mass seems to make it clear. Of course, I may change my mind as I read more!