Women in Love

KEV67

On 4/25/2024 at 9:46 AM, KEV67 said:

My first D.H. Lawrence. I hear it is his best. I found the opening chapter a bit of a slog, but I will see how it goes.

My first experience with a D.H. Lawrence work was his novel 'Lady Chatterley's Lover'. It was a bit challenging at first, but it ended up being a really fascinating and immersive exploration of deep emotions and human relationships.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still reading. That period after WW1 was a lot different to the Victorian age, but it was a lot different to now. D.H. Lawrence had a strange writing style. His characters spend much time philosophising on the meaning of life. I am not saying it's bad, though. Also there are nude scenes. 

I tend to think of that interwar period as dominated by the likes of James Joyce and Virginia Woolf. They were experimental writers. I think mainstream literature was moving in other ways.

I am puzzled about when the story was set. I thought it would be after the First World War, but it has not been mentioned. One of the characters,  Gudrun, thinks about moving to Russia to pursue her art. Another character, Gerald Crich, had been a soldier, but there is no mention of him fighting in WW1. Not yer anyway. In the chapter I just finished, it discussed how Gerald modernised the mines with new machinery, including electrical machinery. That sounds 20th Century. Perhaps the story was set in an alternative 1920s in which the war had not taken place. Perhaps it was set in the Edwardian era. That may be a possibility, because no motor cars have been mentioned.  Often they are in Edwardian books, so maybe the story is set in late Victorian times.

It's not late Victorian because Picasso and Lloyd-George have been mentioned. I suppose it could be Edwardian. Iirc Lloyd-George introduced the old age pension, so he was widely known before WW1. I am not sure when Picasso became famous.