Ashes to Ashes

Janet

Oh I didn't notice a thread on Ashes to Ashes, I love it! Must get the dvds asap.

The finale was hilarious in parts, I was eating my dinner during the chip shop scene and I'm not normally put off my food but that got to me :)

Another series would be brilliant, there are angles they could explore, although if they leave it as it is we can make up our own endings which is always fun and can be better than explaining everything.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8089163.stm

Drama Ashes to Ashes, starring Philip Glenister, will return for a third and final series, the BBC has confirmed.

Producers have revealed the climax of the next series will reveal who the character Gene Hunt really is.

Writer Ashley Pharoah said the series, set in the 80s, will offer "intriguing twists and turns to keep viewers guessing about the final outcome".

This isn't fact, but I thought I remembered reading somewhere that there would be another series, but without Alex. Maybe it will involve Gene on the run.

I'd have thought Alex must be in at least some of it to help Gene back in the 80s where he's accused of shooting her.

I love this so much. Gene is an awesome character but so are the other characters too. The bit with Ray and the sausage was hysterical and cringeworthy all at the same time, and I loved how we all thought we knew what he'd eaten - but his colleagues were winding him up! :)

Roll on next year! :)

I think what happened at the end was: Alex was held at gunpoint by Summers, Gene shot him and the blonde girl came in and held a gun to Alex, but Gene fired and hit Alex by mistake (at which point she passed out in the 80s world and woke up in her own time).

I'd like to see a series where Gene finds himself in the present day. That would be hilarious!

Thanks for that!

I agree, Gene in the present day would be brilliant. :)

And that's interesting, from Michelle, that the final series will reveal who the character Gene Hunt really is. Sounds intriguing.

• 9 months later...

That was really good! Of course, I'm still totally baffled. :D

There was some brilliant humour - loved the bit with the cop swearing in surprise and the old lady hitting him with her handbag, and Gene's quip about balls and squirrels (you'll know what I mean if you've seen it). In fact, I loved all of Gene's witticisms. :lol:

What I am slightly concerned about is that I have always considered Gene a "good guy", despite him often working in the way he does. They seem now to be hinting that he is of "the dark side". Oo-er.

Can't wait for next week's episode! :lurker:

Fabulous episode - I just adore Gene! I honestly can't believe that they will make him a bad guy in the end - the fans would go crackers!! I can't wait to see how it will all turn out, but I'm a bit sad that this will be the last ever series. Better to go out while it's still brilliant though.

Best opening sequence since the Camberwick Green one in Life on Mars! :lol:

I think the woman who played the dating agency owner is Philip Glenister's wife.

I agree, brilliant opening :)

It was a good episode, but I couldn't relax and enjoy it because I was too worried about Shaz. I was convinced she was going to die, and the way she kept saying "This'll be the last thing I ever do" in a doom-laden voice didn't help. In fact, if it wasn't for her own ingenuity she would be dead, as Gene and Co were totally useless and were nowhere near when she needed them.

• 4 weeks later...

I've not watched it yet, as I'm still to watch Life On Mars (which I fully intend to do very soon, and as soon as I have, I'll be following it with A2A).

Well, a fellow Fife College Drama graduate was on it on Friday night, playing a con man

and claiming to be Sam Tyler of all people - I only saw a tiny clip of it on iPlayer)

I'm so chuffed to see him on telly and will be looking forward to watching this episode, along with the entire back catalogue of A2A in the not too distant future.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else watched the programme and what they thought of it?

I've not watched it yet, as I'm still to watch Life On Mars (which I fully intend to do very soon, and as soon as I have, I'll be following it with A2A).

Well, a fellow Fife College Drama graduate was on it on Friday night, playing a con man

and claiming to be Sam Tyler of all people - I only saw a tiny clip of it on iPlayer)

I'm so chuffed to see him on telly and will be looking forward to watching this episode, along with the entire back catalogue of A2A in the not too distant future.

Anyway, I just wanted to know if anyone else watched the programme and what they thought of it?

Your friend was very good. He's really good at crazy wild eyes and I hope he gets some more work as a result.

I've been a bit disappointed with the series as a whole though.

I hope the series ends with a bang not a whimper.

I think this series has been rather patchy, but last night's episode was very good indeed. It was edge-of-the-seat stuff, and the tension really kept my attention.

So what do people think of Jim Keats? At first, I thought he was helping Alex, but now I think he's a right evil :lol: who is just out to destroy Gene, and is trying to use Alex to do it.

In last night's episode, when

Viv had been shot and Keats went up to him, I wasn't quite sure what happened. Did Keats realise Viv was dying, and hold his head to comfort him as he died? Or did he actually kill Viv in some way? I couldn't quite make it out.

Also, I would love to know what Gene said to that criminal in last week's episode that left the guy absolutely terrified.

I think there's only a couple more eps left, so I hope they do a good ending!

Your friend was very good. He's really good at crazy wild eyes and I hope he gets some more work as a result.

He sounded like Sam. I don't mean the accent, but more the delivery - it was spot on. :lol:

So what do people think of Jim Keats? At first, I thought he was helping Alex, but now I think he's a right evil :lol: who is just out to destroy Gene, and is trying to use Alex to do it.

In last night's episode, when

Viv had been shot and Keats went up to him, I wasn't quite sure what happened. Did Keats realise Viv was dying, and hold his head to comfort him as he died? Or did he actually kill Viv in some way? I couldn't quite make it out.

I agree about Jim Keats using Alex to get to Gene.

I thought he did the last bit of your spoiler, but I'm not really sure. It wasn't very clear.

This series has certainly been strange compared to 1 and 2 - hopefully it's building to a brilliant, explosive finale. I just hope that

Gene isn't portrayed as being really evil.

I hope so too. He's doing rather well for himself in film and television. He played Throckmorton in Elizabeth: The Golden Age (with Cate Blanchett), and also one of the leads in Inside I'm Dancing (with James Macavoy!). He also appeared in Kingdom of Heaven (with Orlando Bloom) and currently has 3 films in post-production. As you can see, his classmates and I all follow his career with great interest - it gives us a real kick to see one of our fellow Fife College Drama graduates doing so well. Same with Robin Laing - every time we see him in something, we give a big cheer!

Strangely, Steven's stint in Ashes to Ashes doesn't show on his IMDb profile - it competely threw me!

I think this series has been phenomenal! I have a theory, which is ONLY a theory and there are no spoilers here. I am going to put it into spoilers though, as I know some people are trying to avoid reading theories. I've see this one on a few sites, and it's definitely what I'm going with for the moment.

Gene and Keats are both policemen who died some time ago in their career (the young policeman haunting Alex is Gene imo). When other police officers, like Alex and Sam, find themselves close to death, they end up in Gene's world. Gene is representative of life and tries to keep them alive. Keats however represents death and tries to ensure that they don't survive in their real world, or in the 1980s. Chris, Ray and Shaz are all in comas, as are all the police officers we see. However, the longer they spend in their 'fantasy world', the more they forget about their real lives (Alex has hardly mentioned Molly for example in this series, and has had fewer visions or flashes of being in a hospital). When Ray and Shaz proved themselves - such as when Shaz overpowered the man who was attacking women from dating agencies, and Ray went into teh burning building, they chose their own destinies - they chose to live, which was confirmed when Gene praised them, and they both had their 'Life on Mars' moments when everything faded to black and you could hear Nelson's voice. Chris however, has not had such a moment, because he has not overcome his fears. In fact, in the Chris-centric episode, he made a big mistake in beating up the prisoner, and it was Keats who ended up saving his job, by writing it up as self-defence. Chris is also becoming closer to Keats. Also, Keats has tried to get various members of Gene's team to leave him. He tried to get Ray to change departments, and was tacitly encouraging Shaz to leave the police force (die?) when she was having doubts. I think they have to redeem themselves somehow in their fantasy world, in order to survive in their real worlds. The images of stars which Shaz, Alex and Ray are seeing are signs of them coming back to life. Chris hasn't had such a vision yet.

Also, remember how when the corrupt female police officer died a couple of episodes ago, it was Keats who was holding her, and you could hear the word 'soul' being whispered over the music which was playing. In this episode, as Gene approached Keats when Keats was holding a dying Viv, Gene said, "He's mine," (meaning Viv).

Now this could be a whole load of old bunkum, and I may be proven completely wrong. I'm also not sure at all that I've explained it very well, but it's the theory I'm currently going with. I'm also convinced that Gene will sacrifice himself somehow in the last episode, to get Alex and the others back to their real lives. I'm not sure how, especially if he is indeed the young police officer haunting Alex - that would mean he's already dead, but I think that the last episode will ending with Gene being no more:(

Your friend was superb in that role. He had Sam';s voice inflections and way of speaking down perfectly.

I got so excited when he started saying Sam's monologue from the opening titles of LOM!

Ruth, your theories are fascinating. Although I've loved both Life on Mars and Ashes to Ashes, I have no real idea what's going on in them. Reading your theories made it even more exciting!

As to what Keats did to Viv, it was obvious Viv was really scared of Keats, and the only thing I could think was that isn't there a place on the neck that can kill you if it's pressed in a certain way? I wondered if that was what he had done.

Wow Ruth, I'm really impressed by your theory. I think it's very clever, and it does seem to fit. :lol: I haven't been able to formulate much in the way of a theory at all, I just can't seem to get my head around it!

Nicx27, my mum said much the same thing about there being a place on the neck that can be pressed.

Ruth I love the theory, its would be interesting to see if the two were perhaps different sides of the same coin..

I am sure the grip on the neck might be the Vulcan death grip :lol:

I hope so too. He's doing rather well for himself in film and television. He played Throckmorton in Elizabeth: The Golden Age (with Cate Blanchett), and also one of the leads in Inside I'm Dancing (with James Macavoy!). He also appeared in Kingdom of Heaven (with Orlando Bloom) and currently has 3 films in post-production. As you can see, his classmates and I all follow his career with great interest - it gives us a real kick to see one of our fellow Fife College Drama graduates doing so well. Same with Robin Laing - every time we see him in something, we give a big cheer!

Strangely, Steven's stint in Ashes to Ashes doesn't show on his IMDb profile - it competely threw me!

I thought I recognised him. His face was familiar.