The Eyre Affair by Jasper Fforde

Weave

Title of book: The Eyre Affair

Name of Author: Jasper Fforde

Paperback: 384 pages

Publisher: New English Library Ltd (19 Jul 2001)

ISBN: 10: 034073356X

ISBN: 13: 978-0340733561

Synopsis:

Meet Thursday Next, literary detective without equal, fear or boyfriend.

There is another 1985, where London’s criminal gangs have moved into the lucrative literary market, and Thursday Next is on the trail of the new wave’s Mr Big.

Acheron Hades has been kidnapping characters from works of fiction and holding them to ransom. Jane Eyre is gone. Missing.

Thursday sets out to find a way into the book to repair the damage. But solving crimes against literature isn’t easy when you also have to find time to halt the Crimean War, persuade the man you love to marry you, and figure out who really wrote Shakespeare’s plays.

Perhaps today just isn’t going to be Thursday’s day. Join her on a truly breathtaking adventures, and find out or yourself. Fiction will never be the same again…

user1367_1176356086a.jpg

With an opening line of ‘My Father had a face that could stop a clock’, I knew I was on to a winner with ‘The Eyre Affair’ and let me add briefly, if you have never read ‘Jane Eyre’ you will want to read it after reading ‘The Eyre Affair’.

Its 1985 but it is not the 1985 that we all remember, it is a whole different reality where SO-27’s like Thursday Next solve crimes against literature (and it’s about time too).

‘The Eyre Affair’ is all about great plots, wonderful plays on words and the amazing character which is Thursday Next, a woman of a certain age trying to get by while solving crimes, coming to terms with her past, and having a Dad, a ex-colonel of the ChronoGuard who stops time to ask Thursday random questions. Thursday also has to face the Goliath Corporation who seem to own everything.

‘The Eyre Affair’ is one of the most original books I have read in a long time, you find in Thursday Next a character who begins to feel like your friend as you share her adventures.

The only downside of the book could be the references to ‘Jane Eyre’ especially if you have never read it but the references are shown in such a way it does not really matter, but it could still be a downside.

‘The Eyre Affair’ is the first book in the Thursday Next series and I am looking forward to reading the rest of them.

Can Thursday save Jane Eyre?

Read and find out!

Rating: 10/10

That sounds really good Gyre, I think I will look out for this one. I have read and enjoyed Jane Eyre more than once, so I think I will like all the references. :D

Me too, I have to get hold of the last one!

Ooooh, the last one "First among Sequels" was a good one.

The first 30 or so pages was kinda slow but then the action picked up and I could not put the book down.

Run, not walk, to your nearest book store. :D

• 2 weeks later...

Good review. I've read a couple of Jasper Fforde's books. At times I have found them slightly too ridiculous and obscure to hold my interest, but after a brak I come back to them and find that actually they are very humorous and witty.

I guess I have different moods when it comes to reading, and if I'm not in the right mood some books get discarded for a time:)