What makes a good jacket blurb?

kateleopald

Just a point following on from a previous thread about book covers. Anyone else noticed jacket blurbs seem to be getting longer (a bit like those trailers you see in the cinema that show the whole film!). Personally I prefer something that gives me a taste of the book but not a whole mouthful!!

I have to admit I like a fairly decent blurb (length wise) as I like to get a general feeling as to what the book is about and if I'm going to like it.

One thing that really annoys me is a misleading blurb. I can't think of any off the top of my head just but I've read books in the past to find that the blurb on the back was very misleading.

I agree with Karen about liking to have enough blurb to tell me a bit about the book and whether it's my cup of tea.

Better too much info than not enough, because I really hate those books (usually hardback) that have lots of quotes from various people/publications saying how great the book is, but have nothing about what it's about! I'm not going to buy the book if I don't have any info about it. This seems to be a more modern phenomenon.

More twists than the Da Vinci Code (groan)

I agree with you all but my favourite blurb would say: The fantastic new bestseller from louiseog does not disappoint, once again she has proved that she defies being labelled and has written her next book for everyone again an international hit and Hollywood will gain from the film rights.

I also hate blurbs that contain too many quotes from other people (and when they have several pages of them at the beginning of the book!)

My edition of Jane Austen's Sense and Sensibility has a quote by Helen Fielding on the front cover saying that Jane Austen is one of her favourite authors. I don't have anything against Helen Fielding but why are they using her to sell Jane Austen (one of the greatest authors of all time)?! There is no comparison! I glared at that quote every single time I saw it. And it doesn't exactly add anything to the book ;) I think all of my Jane Austen's have similar pointless quotes on the front cover.

I do like to have a bit of detail to a blurb but obviously not enough to give the plot away. I think some books toe the line a bit in that respect.

Occasionally I'll go back and re-read a blurb after having read the book only to think 'What? How'd they get that blurb out of the story?' Sometimes you wonder if the person who wrote the blurb has actually read the book or they're just going on hearsay.

Mia, you are right. Loads of quotes and no info is pointless. You need to know something about the book, but obviously not too much. I wonder if there is something in the idea that everyone's tastes cannot be accounted for. Obviously you would know that from the synopsis, but what I mean is that different people may be hooked in different ways.

I am not exactly sure if I always know what I am looking for when I read a blurb. It is however, very annoying when blurbs either mislead or do not give enough info and the book is completely different (either for better or worse) than you imagined.

More twists than the Da Vinci Code (groan)

I agree with you all but my favourite blurb would say: The fantastic new bestseller from louiseog does not disappoint, once again she has proved that she defies being labelled and has written her next book for everyone again an international hit and Hollywood will gain from the film rights.

Can't wait to read it, Louise. Get writing ....

I do really hate it when a book is compared to another one in the blurb. When I read The Time Traveler's Wife by Audrey Niffennegger, there was a quote on the cover that basically said, "This is the new The Lovely Bones". I loved TTW, so I went on to read The Lovely Bones and thought it the biggest pile of poo ever - there was absolutely no way the two books could be compared, whether it be plot or characters or even atmosphere! If I had read TLB first and THEN picked up TTW and read that quote, I never would have read TTW as I would have been put right off!

I like a blurb that gives me a vague outline of the plot, and some teasers. I also hate it when it compares the book to another book, especially if I haven't read it. What good does that do me? My biggest pet peeve is when there's no information at all...just some quotes from various reviews, like "Non-stop action!" -Houston Chronicle......"The best thriller since such-and-such!" -Hickville Press. That really doesn't tell me anything!;)

Oh, okay. ... Wait, is that like a sale at Jimmy Choo's, where you're more than willing to kill the woman in front of you for a pair of shoes? Or a shopping spree that leaves you practically dead out of exhaustion? (I've had those.) Or one that leaves everyone else die out of envy? (I might have had a few purchases like that, too. Like my feather Dior sling-back stilettos. Oooh, I love those!)

Louise, what's the "murderous shopping spree" about? And more importantly, do you need a shopping budy? I'm prectically a pro. At shopping, not murdering.

I seriously need some food!