M. N. Reading - 2024

Fourth Wing (The Empyrean - Book 1 of 2) - Rebecca Yarros - 4.5/5 - Great reading. Keeps you attention on every paragraph in the book. The book is over 600 pages long on the kindle and I am a slow reader but I zoomed through this book as I could hardly put it down. I would call the book an adult Sci-Fi as there is some sex in the book. Much of the book takes place at the Basgiath War College where only the smartest and strongest 20 year olds  are schooled as healers, scribes, infantry or riders. The Riders train and hope that a Dragon will choose them to be its rider. The weak don't survive the training. There is a huge surprise at the very end of the book.

From Amazon:

A #1 New York Times bestseller • Optioned for TV by Amazon Studios • Amazon Best Books of the Year, #4 • Apple Best Books of the Year 2023 • Barnes & Noble Best Fantasy Book of 2023 • NPR “Books We Love” 2023 • Audible Best Books of 2023 • Hudson Book of the Year • Google Play Best Books of 2023 • Indigo Best Books of 2023 • Waterstones Book of the Year finalist • Goodreads Choice Award, semi-finalist • Newsweek Staffers’ Favorite Books of 2023 • Paste Magazine's Best Books of 2023

Fourth Wing is a 2 book series by Rebecca Yarros. The second book is Iron Flame (released in November - 2023) and is over 800 (kindle) pages long. I am on hold at the library for it but am #70 on the hold list with the library having 20 copies. I may have to break down and actually purchase the book. 🙂

2. Ruin of Stars - linsey Miller.- 3.5/5 - A fair read.Ii read book #1 of the 2 book series about 2 years ago and at that time the library didn't have book 2. I requested the Library to purchase book 2 and they just now purchased it and I had almost forgot what book #1 was about. Kinda a sci-fi type book.

• 4 weeks later...

3. Iron Flame ( Book2 of the Empyrean series) - Rebecca Yarros -  4/5 -Iron Flame was every bit as good as Book 1, Fourth Wing. I hope that Rebecca Yarros continues the series. I believe the ending of Iron Flame leaves open the possibility of future books. The Riders of Dragons battle the bad guys in the exciting finish of book 2 but it appears that one of the main characters is gone, but maybe not. The personality of the dragons is interesting and a good part of the books. I recommend both Fourth Wing and iron Flame.

4. After That Night (A Will Trent series book) - Karin Slaughter - 4/5 - An ok read and I did enjoy the book but not one of her best IMO.

Edited by muggle not

5. The Exchange -John Grisham - 4/5 -Good read if you like John Grisham, which I do. 😆

From Amazon"

What became of Mitch and Abby McDeere after they exposed the crimes of Memphis law firm Bendini, Lambert & Locke and fled the country? The answer is in The Exchange, the riveting sequel to The Firm, the blockbuster thriller that launched the career of America’s favorite storyteller. It is now fifteen years later, and Mitch and Abby are living in Manhattan, where Mitch is a partner at the largest law firm in the world. When a mentor in Rome asks him for a favor that will take him far from home, Mitch finds himself at the center of a sinister plot that has worldwide implications—and once again endangers his colleagues, friends, and family. Mitch has become a master at staying one step ahead of his adversaries, but this time there’s nowhere to hide.

• 4 weeks later...

6. The Warm Hands of Ghosts - Katherine Arden - 4/5. Arden's writing has taken a leap forward. Her stories have always been good. She does much research on her subject matter. This book involved World War 11 and it must have been difficult to do the research to the magnitude that she has done. A well written book with a good story line. My favorite though is still the Winternight Trilogy by her.

5 hours ago, France said:

Yes, and thoroughly enjoyed it. Btw, just finished Fourth Wing. Wow!

How did you like the big surprise at the end of Fourth Wing? It took me completely by surprise. Iron Flame is equally as good.

On 3/30/2024 at 11:09 PM, muggle not said:

How did you like the big surprise at the end of Fourth Wing? It took me completely by surprise. Iron Flame is equally as good.

I really didn't expect that!

And yes, I've ordered Iron Flame...

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 3:25 PM, muggle not said:

3. Iron Flame ( Book2 of the Empyrean series) - Rebecca Yarros -  4/5 -Iron Flame was every bit as good as Book 1, Fourth Wing. I hope that Rebecca Yarros continues the series. I believe the ending of Iron Flame leaves open the possibility of future books. The Riders of Dragons battle the bad guys in the exciting finish of book 2 but it appears that one of the main characters is gone, but maybe not. The personality of the dragons is interesting and a good part of the books. I recommend both Fourth Wing and iron Flame.

Just bought The Fourth Wing. 

7 hours ago, lunababymoonchild said:

Just bought The Fourth Wing. 

I am pretty sure that you will like the book.

On 3/31/2024 at 11:54 AM, Madeleine said:

apparently it's been optioned for TV by Amazon.

Thanks. I did some Google and you are correct.

Fourth Wing Amazon TV Series: What We Know (Release Date, Cast, Movie Trailer) - The Bibliofile (the-bibliofile.com)

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

7. Amongst our Weapons (Rivers of London Series) - Ben Aaronovitch - 4/5 - I really enjoyed this book, maybe a wee bit more than some others in the series. A few books back I was worried about Peter and Beverly having to break up but that is no longer the case. I also enjoyed The Angel of Death in this book and had sympathy for her.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Madeleine said:

Ooh still haven't read that one!

I think that you will enjoy the book.

I downloaded Suttree by Cormac McCarthy from the library tonight. this will be a re-read of this book and I am looking forward to reading it.

• Like 1

On 2/18/2024 at 4:25 PM, muggle not said:

I've just started Iron Flame. I'm not talking to anyone.

On 3/30/2024 at 8:11 AM, muggle not said:

Have you read the WinterNight Trilogy by Katherine Arden?

Oh, I've been putting off this trilogy for a while, but I finally finished it and I'm really pleased!

• Like 1