Comfort Food

Virginia

Has anybody taken out the soup pot yet? I want to make soup so badly but the weather isn't cooperating! I live in the southern part of the US and while most folks will make soup year-round, it's just too bloody hot to do that here. Most days we struggle just to cook/eat hot weather food because our appetites come and go.

My deep freezer and pantry are ready (broth, soup bones, beans, lentils, etc) and the bread machine is in its rightful place. Soon as the temps drop to the low 70s, I'm making soup!! 😆

Not that I'm any good at all in the kitchen but could you make Gazpacho soup during the hot weather. As I understand it you don't have to cook it first and it's best served chilled.

I lost my appetite during the scorching weather last year, so have some idea of what it's like. I lost weight too so no bad thing. I do not like the heat at all so am relishing our current cool and rainy weather but it's about time I had a go at making soup, so I'll see what happens.

On 10/6/2023 at 10:34 AM, lunababymoonchild said:

Not that I'm any good at all in the kitchen but could you make Gazpacho soup during the hot weather. As I understand it you don't have to cook it first and it's best served chilled.

I lost my appetite during the scorching weather last year, so have some idea of what it's like. I lost weight too so no bad thing. I do not like the heat at all so am relishing our current cool and rainy weather but it's about time I had a go at making soup, so I'll see what happens.

I never thought about Gazpacho soup. I had it years ago and was pleasantly surprised. The problem is my husband isn't a fan of tomato based anything. I can cook with small amounts but in general, its a no. 

• Like 1

Another cold weather fan here, the older I get the more I hate the heat.

I make quite a lot of soup in winter, my favourites are split green pea and ham, and pumpkin soup. Veggie soup is also great, you can throw just about any vegetable you have into it, a few soup bones or some chicken and bob's your uncle!