BCF Book Club Part 4 - Completed Reads

lunababymoonchild

• lunababymoonchild changed the title to BCF Book Club Part 4 - Completed Reads
  • 3 weeks later...

I finished Treasure Island (and really enjoyed it - it got me thinking about how many adaptations there have been of Treasure Island and how it’s interesting to note which things get changed or left out). 

I decided to start The Fascination by Essie Fox as my next one. It seems very promising so far! It’s (at least partly) about Victorian fairgrounds and ‘freak shows’, which I find really interesting. 

Finished The Fascination! It’s very aptly named - it really is fascinating. It’s also a lot darker than I expected it to be! A very good book. I will post a full review soon. I think I’ll choose something a little lighter for my next read though. Maybe The Ruby in the Smoke by Philip Pullman. 

• Like 1

Finished The Ruby in the Smoke! I think I’ve mentioned somewhere here before that I read the third book in this series (The Tiger in the Well) when I was much younger, with no idea that it was part of a series. So now I finally know how it all starts! I might go straight to the second in the series now, The Shadow in the North

I finished The Shadow in the North (it was so sad!!) and started The Mad Women’s Ball by Victoria Mas. I stayed up way past my bedtime finishing it last night! It’s not a light read (some incredibly horrible things happen to the women in the story) but it’s a very good book. 

• 5 weeks later...

I decided to do a just-for-fun reread of The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde for my next challenge read. It’s on the GCSE syllabus, so I use it when I’m tutoring, but I had a student who was really genuinely interested in it and it made me realise that it’s been years since I read it just to enjoy the story. And I really did enjoy it! 

I’ve also started the In A Glass Darkly collection of short stories by Sheridan Le Fanu.

• 2 weeks later...

I’m still reading In A Glass Darkly but I couldn’t sleep a couple of nights ago, so wanted read something light and grabbed ‘The Diary of A Nobody’ by George and Weedon Grossmith. It’s nothing like anything I’ve read before. Some of the ‘entries’ are literally about things like getting the house painted, or booking a holiday, but it’s strangely compelling!