Goodreads

So annoyed that Goodreads have to have the stupid Timeline on Facebook, to which I have been converted yet....one of the reasons I like using it to update bookie stuff on Facebook.

• 3 months later...
  • Replies 464
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 4 months later...

What the hell? You guys know there's always a featured poll on Goodreads, right? It's usually about books (duh), questions on people's reading habits, sometimes about audiobooks, rather rarely on certain books in particular. All very general.

The current featured poll is something quite different, however, and I'm quite appalled:

"In the upcoming US election, who would you vote for? Take this anonymous poll and we'll use the data to show which books are popular with each group of voters.

Barack Obama

Mitt Romney "

Since when? What? Urgh! It's a book read website, not a political medium!

I'm inclined to agree with you! Not only that, but it really irks me when sites like these, that have users from all around the world, suddenly seem to forget that there is a 'rest of the world' (which probably makes up the bulk of its users) and that we might neither know nor care anything about their politics. I think I'll complain and, while I'm at it, ask if they plan to do a similar poll the next time the Australian election is being held.

I'm inclined to agree with you! Not only that, but it really irks me when sites like these, that have users from all around the world, suddenly seem to forget that there is a 'rest of the world' (which probably makes up the bulk of its users) and that we might neither know nor care anything about their politics. I think I'll complain and, while I'm at it, ask if they plan to do a similar poll the next time the Australian election is being held.

Exactly! I don't care if it's the United States, Iceland or Kenya, I don't think politics should be in any way discussed/polled on the site. I would be just as irked if they did a poll on the Finnish presidential election. It's just not the place for it.

I agree with y'all, 100%. Goodreads should not take up any sort of political agenda, and that is exactly what I think they are doing. To compare what "followers" of any political party, person or whatever is totally unacceptable. All I can see it creating is divisions among readers that should not be there. I can see it now.........one constituency laughing at another constituency about what the other is reading, making fun of it, or deriding the choices in some manner. Shame on Goodreads!

And that is not even taking on the international aspect of goodreads!

I sent them feedback on the subject after having posted the above ^, today I discovered they'd replied to my e-mail. It was a very vague 'thank you for your feedback, we'll take it into consideration as we continue to improve our website' kinda thing. Not that I was expecting anything more than that, if that at all.

At least they've taken the poll down and have replaced it with another one, although I have no idea if the other poll was scheduled to appear on the site already in the first place.

I never got around to complaining, oops. I've noticed before that they're less than helpful when users complain or make a suggestion to improve the site. Even if a huge number of users complain about something (the half star system is a big issue, apparently), if one Goodreads person vetoes it, that's it, apparently. Not very good customer service.

I never got around to complaining, oops. I've noticed before that they're less than helpful when users complain or make a suggestion to improve the site. Even if a huge number of users complain about something (the half star system is a big issue, apparently), if one Goodreads person vetoes it, that's it, apparently. Not very good customer service.

Well apparently it doesn't really matter if you complain or not, doesn't seem to make much difference.

Anyhow, where did you find out about all those issues and how they are dealt with?

I agree with you guys that the poll about the US president was absolutely stupid. In the first place, like some of you said, it's not an issue that other countries would be that interested in .(and there are people in OUR country that arent that much interested either )

Besides that, I find it really hard to believe that your political party preference affects the type of books you read ( unless you like reading about politics or presidential candidates) .

It would also be a highly likely subject to get arguments started over if one person said the wrong comment .

Definitely worth lodging a complaint. I've never been big into Goodreads mainly because their message boards drive me bonkers. Too hard to keep up to date with ,where these here are so much better .

Are any of you members at Shelfari ? It's interesting to drop in on occasion but their boards aren't set up like these are,so I really don't like them much either . Just a place to come in and see what others are reading ,or to get new ideas for books (which I really don't need,but, that's like telling an alcoholic he doesn't need another drink . :)

I still prefer LibraryThing - I just want a place to record my reading, and it works well for me. I've tried going back to GoodReads, but I keep forgetting to update it.

Agreed. The input is far easier, especially with their Cue Cat implement. I'll list sporadically on Good Reads, but mostly forget, or simply don't on account of all the clicking it takes to record one book. Another thing about GR that is annoying is the fact they won't allow me to post more than one edition of a book. Even when they have different ISBNs, duplicates are not allowed. I have multiple copies, different versions of many of my favorite novels. yikes.

• 4 weeks later...

I've just been to goodreads and have seen the new green boxes with 'want to read', and the grey boxes with green little book boxes for have read things. I'm such a whinger :D But why have the changed it? Too big, too showy.

Edit: I mean I guess the general idea is that when I'm looking at my friends' news feeds, if they have a book that interests me I can easily click on 'want to read' and the book will be registered in my own catalogue, but now it just looks like I've already marked it as 'want to read'.

Edit: I searched the matter further, and when your cursor's on top of the three books next to 'want to read', you can choose read, currently reading, want to read, and wishlist.

How is 'want to read' and 'wishlist' different?? Where is 'to be read'?? (When I went to look at my own bookshelves, I still had to-be-read and wishlist, but it's so weird they would have it so differently in the news feed section.)

Hmm...the icons are cute, but 'currently reading' doesn't even fit in the text box. It's looks messy! Then again, I've never really liked the layout/fonts used on Goodreads - too many different fonts, styles, sizes, mix of upper-/lower-case letters. I'm getting more and more fed up with it. It used to be good, but I hardly even use it anymore.

I found the thread in the Goodreads feedback group about the change. When I first checked the site today, I thought the images looked a little familiar, then I realised GR was talking about implementing this change months ago (I saw it in the same thread but forgot all about it). People are very, very unhappy, particularly because GR has ignored all of the complaints people had back in July, when GR first posted about it.

Edit: I searched the matter further, and when your cursor's on top of the three books next to 'want to read', you can choose read, currently reading, want to read, and wishlist.

How is 'want to read' and 'wishlist' different?? Where is 'to be read'?? (When I went to look at my own bookshelves, I still had to-be-read and wishlist, but it's so weird they would have it so differently in the news feed section.)

I just noticed these edits. I just noticed the same thing about 'want to read' replacing 'to read'. Many of the complaints from the beginning of the feedback thread begged GR to change this back. One reason given was that people may not necessarily 'want' to read a book (e.g. reading for school). And how ridiculous that they didn't even make it consistent! I agree that there is virtually no different between 'want to read' and 'wish list'. What was wrong with 'to read'? Having a book on my 'to read' shelf obviously indicates that I want to read it!!

• 1 year later...

Goodreads is doing another Best Reads of the Year survey, I remember doing this in 2011 (and commenting on it on here...) and I'd not read any of the books... :D Although I will not blame myself, I will blame Goodreads being so very English-oriented. Okay well I do read English originals quite a lot... But I don't always go for the latest books! Tut tut Goodreads...

I'll see how many I've read this year :giggle2:

Edit: Ooooh! They must have the new Bridget Jones book there somewhere and I've read it... Yay! :D

Edit2: No they did not. :D I haven't read any of the books. :rolleyes: Well this was as much fun as it was in 2011.... Can't wait for next year.

Edited by frankie

I've only read one (The Rosie Project).. the nominated books are mostly American I think .. certainly in the categories I looked at anyway and no nomination for Where'd You Go Bernadette :o I must put that right :D I have got The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt on my wishlist but it's only just out isn't it? Give me a chance Goodreads :blush2:

Oh frankie .. we haven't read the bestest books in 2013 :( .. think of all those fantastic sentences we've missed out on  :D 

I've only read one (The Rosie Project).. the nominated books are mostly American I think .. certainly in the categories I looked at anyway and no nomination for Where'd You Go Bernadette :o I must put that right :D I have got The Goldfinch by Donna Tartt on my wishlist but it's only just out isn't it? Give me a chance Goodreads :blush2:

Is Goodreads an American site? I think it might be.. Possibly the majority of members are American. Was one able to nominate their own book of choice as well? Or how do you think they came up with those particular titles... I didn't look if you could nominate your own, I was too peeved :D

Oh frankie .. we haven't read the bestest books in 2013 :( .. think of all those fantastic sentences we've missed out on  :D 

Oh dear... :(  :empathy:   Well, look at some of the titles... I wouldn't want to read them :giggle: The romance section was horrid. I mean the covers only were quite telling. I think we're better off reading what we like. :friends3:

Lol apparently .. 'that book is ineligible'  :giggle: 

You mean Bernadette? Who said that :o Or the Donna Tartt book? :o

I've only read three of the books, 2 were by Jojo Moyes so I voted for 'Me Before You'